Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • PPI….
  • smogmonster

Ive been something of a naysayer about the whole PPI lark…i couldnt be arsed as i was pretty certain ive never had any PPI at all. Anyway i saw that link on here a few weeks back to the Barclays website, so thought sod it, why not. No word at all, until this morning when a cheque for £2000 landed on the doormat. It basically seems they arent even checking if you had it missold. So if you cant be arsed like me, just bllody do. Free bike bits!

chorlton
    Free Member

Done the same after that other thread. I’d a couple of loans with Alliance and Leicester quite a few years ago. Will see what happens.

P-Jay
    Free Member

they arent even checking if you had it missold.

Truth is, they really can’t. There was a major judgement a while back and the High Court basically said that if a PPI type product was sold, that on the balance of probability it was miss-sold. The Banks are still free to argue individual cases in court, but it’s not really worth them doing so, so they rarely, if ever turn down a claim. It costs them less money to set-up teams ready and waiting to send refund rather than employ an army of legal types to fight it, not to mention they make huge tax-saving allowances every year to pay claims.

Honestly, fill your boots, there is no moral argument against it that I can see and I have more than a layman’s understanding of how and why they were sold.

Legoman
    Free Member

Pretty much exactly the same experience here – I was convinced I’d never had it. Filled in a couple of form. Cheque for for over £3k arrives!

Although after PPI company and tax man took their share it’s a lot less…

Cougar

How much info do you need to provide? Do they do all the legwork?

I had a credit card where I was almost certainly mis-sold PPI. I took it in case I lost my job, then lost my job and wasn’t covered due to some clause or other. I’d never have taken it if I’d known. Thing is though, I’ve no idea what the account details were (beyond it being HSBC).

I’m now wondering if I’ve a case for bank charges also. Reading the MSE guide – http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/bank-charges – I reckon I might qualify for a refund as I got into a snowballing situation with the bank forcing me over my overdraft limit by applying the previous month’s charges. I was out of work and it was killing me, by the time I got my first wage from a new job I’d borrowed money off a mate and was raiding the coppers jar to buy food. Again though, I’ve no bank statements going back that far, it was ten years ago.

chorlton
    Free Member

Same with me Cougar. I’ve no account details and just a rough idea of the year I took them out. I just filled out the forms best I could.

retro83
    Free Member

So had you actually paid out £3K for PPI and you’re reclaiming it, or is this a penalty of sorts for the bank?

steve-g
    Free Member

I think they apply interest to the amount at the rate the loan was charging at.

I had a similar situation, having had a loan through Tesco. Tesco wrote to me, told me that the loan I had with them had PPI attached and would I like it back, I filled in a form and within 2 weeks got 1500 quid back, which I think was about half money I had paid and half interest as it has been such a long time.

retro83
    Free Member

Oh right, ta.

Scapegoat

We were badgered and badgered by a phone sales company. In the end I gave them my account details and told them to crack on, they were, after all, no win no fee. I told them at the time that I hadn’t had any loans with PPI since a mortgage back in the 80s, and I’d claimed on the insurance after a bike accident, so it was hardly mis-sold! Anyway, they kept sending me stuff to fill in, and I referred them back to three previous current accounts to trawl through, plus a couple of credit cards and some interest free deals I’d had on furniture etc. Low and behold, after a couple of months they rang back to say they couldn’t find any to claim. Perhaps you’ll stop **** ringing me then! Tossers.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

I really can’t see how people need to use 3rd party companies to do this – basically you just give them the same information you give the bank!

I had a loan with Lloyds, didn’t know the account number, managed to tell them the approximate year (though it was 10 years out!!), told them why I thought I was missold PPI and they transferred a lumper to my account a few weeks later.

jam-bo

I really can’t see how people need to use 3rd party companies to do this – basically you just give them the same information you give the bank!

even the banks advise not to use 3rd party companies.

smogmonster

Cougar – i hardly paid a penny into PPI to the best of my knowledge, i used to refuse all that sort of stuff as seemed to me to be utter crap! I just went straight to Barclays website, never mind these PPI companies who take a cut from you. Like i say, im convinced they arent even checking whether you had it or not, they are just offering a sum to make you go away! For £2000 i’ll happily go away! 😉

andysmiff1
    Free Member

smogmonster

How long between starting the claim (filling in form) and payment arriving?

I filled in form online on Monday, had a call yesterday to ask for more info, then another call today for more info.

2 claims (2 cards from barclaycard) – one relating to extra info call yesterday has been upheld (found out on phone call today whilst giving extra info on other claim – so hopeful that will be upheld now!) and have asked for BACS transfer as still got Barclays current account rather than cheque!

Wondering if cash will appear before Christmas! Ha ha!

Cheers,

A

zilog6128

We were badgered and badgered by a phone sales company. In the end I gave them my account details and told them to crack on,

one of my clients did this and had all his credit cards rinsed for about £40k. Got it back eventually but it was obviously very stressful. So, not advised!

leftyboy
    Free Member

Been quite successful with this, so far I’ve been paid out about £6.5K. I have been fairly ruthless in tracking this down as it turns out I was genuinely missold PPI, I’ve had cancer and despite telling companies/banks etc this they still sold me PPI which would NEVER pay out because I’d previously had cancer!

I felt a little bad about the whole PPI thing until I realised I was actually really badly advised and they took my money knowing they shouldn’t have done so.

My building society did the same and the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) has ruled in my favour so I’m expecting an offer in the next 21 days.

Legoman
    Free Member

Correct in theory, except that when I initially contacted Barclays direct I was told I had no claim but the PPI company I used managed to claim £3k from them.

Same details, different result. No idea why.

matt_outandabout

Can I ask, did you all pay out these big sums (e.g. OP’s £3k) in PPI?

Or are they guessing that?

The only account I remember having PPI on was with a particular company, and they sent me cheque for £34…

Ben_H

I have long suspected that I had a PPI policy when I was a student in 2001 and paid off a student overdraft as a loan. I wouldn’t have been able to claim on said PPI policy, as I was working for <16 hours per week for the duration (still a student until 2003).

I first thought about this c.2008 when the mis-selling scandal emerged, but did nothing about it – as I assumed that 6 years was the limit for claims.

However, on hearing recent media coverage and a thread here, I contacted Lloyds in October.

I did this myself directly, via Lloyds’ own web portal and with no specific information about the account. A paper form was sent to me in the post and I received a phone call to verify details after I’d sent it back.

It turns out that I did have a PPI policy, which had a value in the low £££s. By the time statutory compensation and interest were added, it resulted in a settlement of £956!!

The process took <1 hour of my time in total and 4 weeks from start to finish. The settlement sum was paid directly into my bank account.

Result. 🙂

pocpoc
    Free Member

Anyone got the original link to the barclays website?
    I’m sure I’ve never paid PPI in my life, but I do have a barclaycard, so nothing to lose by filling in a form!

jam-bo

https://www.barclaycard.co.uk/personal/make-a-ppi-complaint

thats the one used.

spoke to someone a couple of weeks ago as it turned out I had a policy I don’t recall ever signing up to. a bit more research suggests that in 2000 when I took out my first Egg card, you couldn’t complete the application without having the PPI box ticked. apparently they should make a decision by 28th Dec. the fact they are dragging it out makes me wonder if they’ll knock it back.

cb

I had a Barclaycard ‘sold’ to me at the airport in 1989. That’s all I know – will they even consider that if I fill out a form? I also had an Egg card sometime later but have absolutely zero information on it.

Have any of you above been succesful from such a sparse start?

jam-bo

I put in very little info other than I knew I had an egg card. they came back to me with the details.

andysmiff1
    Free Member

Update to my earlier post.

Barclaycard PPI claim. (1x Visa, 1x MasterCard)

First claim settled (MasterCard):
    Claim form filled in Monday @5pm ish
    Call for extra information Wednesday @ 10am ish
    Found out in other info (for Visa card claim) call Thursday @ 10am ish that claim upheld – £1600 quid settlement figure
    Text from Barclays 5pm on Friday @5pm ish to say they have paid claim via BACS and will see money in my current account imminently (to call them if not appeared within 10 days) – so I’m guessing money should arrive by middle of next week!
    Happy with that! £1600 back for 15 mins online and a 5 min phone call.
    Hoping other claim is upheld as exactly the same info/reasons given for mis-selling as above claim – only difference was that’s a Visa card and the upheld claim was a MasterCard.

A

cb

andy – did you know dates, account numbers etc? Or did you just say you had a card and thought you might have been mis-sold?

jam-bo

interesting they paid out so quick. I’m still waiting for a decision.

andysmiff1
    Free Member

^
    Had account numbers but no policy numbers.

stated I had been Mis-sold based on my employment at the time and my employee benefits (income protection and sickness benefit) and realised I didn’t need the PPI

Took the cards out when I turned 18 – young and immature with financial stuff, benefit of hindsight I guess!

Remember being sold the PPI in branch, but that was all!

Sat back and let them look into it!

And now – a happy Christmas!

A

andysmiff1
    Free Member

jam bo

I was surprised it was so quick. Maybe it was an easy case to prove mis-selling based on the employee benefits package I had/have?

A

jam-bo

Was yours a Barclaycard or an egg card?

andysmiff1
    Free Member

Jam bo

Just a Barclaycard taken out 2000 ish (not a post-egg Barclaycard)

A

burko73

Anyone got a Lloyds link? I had a grad loan with ppi for a while when I was self employed but I renegotiated it and got rid of the ppi a year or so later. Don’t know the account number of the loan but I’ve still got the same current account with Lloyds.

Xylene
    Free Member

This has just jogged my memory that I had a Barcylcard when I was a student and an MBNA card both with PPI.

nasher
    Free Member

After 4 loans and a cc from natwest I received 3.4k in total. It took about 2 hours work from me just filling in a firm. Don’t use a third party as they take a third of your earnings plus vat

Kryton57

Anyone got a link for egg cards? I’m pretty sure I’m in the same position as Jambo

jam-bo

It’s the Barclays link above. They bought egg a few years back and took on responsibility.

monkeychild
    Free Member

I had an Egg loan and credit card in the late 90s. Hmmm, I wonder if it’s worth a punt??

jam-bo

Worst that can happen is they turn down your claim. I ignored the whole thing for years as I had always thought I’d turned down PPI at every opportunity. Turns out they added it anyway.

jam-bo

Just got a rejection letter for xmas. Apparently I mis-bought rather than was mis-sold.

I’ll probably challenge it in the new year as it won’t take too much effort.

andysmiff1
    Free Member

Jam bo.

That’s a bit rubbish. I’d heard egg were pretty good on refunds, but that probably pre-barclaycard. Definitely worth appealing tho.

I’ve had both claims accepted by barclaycard and both paid out too now. Second claim they mis-calculated and needed up needing to pay me more!

First claim took about a week, second was about 4 weeks in total (due to recalculated figure and amount due…..)

Merry Christmas for us this year!

A

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘PPI….’ is closed to new replies.