• This topic has 23 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by gonzy.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Older suspension forks- what's useable?
  • BruiseWillies
    Free Member

Well, first I have to admit, I’m suspension-ignorant! I’ve always ridden rigid bikes and personally, I just prefer them at the moment…..However!
    My other-half’s talking about some bouncy forks for her Kona Kilauea (about ’97-98). I think an 80mm fork would be about right for this?
    Now, here’s the issue;
    What were reasonable forks around this size, with canti/V mounts, not too heavy, that worked well enough and haven’t suffered from “retro” pricing?
    Is this a Moon-on-stick request??

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Bomber Z2. Yes its heavier than an air fork but massively reliable. Z3 for similar performance but a bit cheaper.

Otherwise, stuff like the slightly newer Marzocchis. I had a set of MX Pro (I think) which I gave an absolute pasting and they just kept working (very well). Think they were 2001’ish vintage.

I’d stay away from any late 90’s Rockshox and Manitou. Some older Pace RC36/RC38 type things would be nice. I had a set of RC38s which I think I paid about £80 for. Lovely lightweight things. Might try and find another set for the singlespeed.

khani
    Free Member

The old Fox forks are better than the new ones IMO..
    They had v mounts as well.

Andy-R

Marzocchis all the way, like DBW says. Or older Maguras, like the Asgard or Phaon.
    In my opinion you could easily get away with running 100mm forks on a’98 Kilauea. I’ve got a ’95 version (same frame geometry) and I’m using it with 120mm Marzocchis (with ETA). It handles just fine.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fox-F80X-Terralogic-Forks-1600g-/291138150595 ?

Shouldn’t be too hard to buy the V-brake pivot studs if the seller doesn’t have them.

matttromans
    Free Member

I run a set of old Reba race’s (can’t remember what vintage, probably 09) set at 80mm on my 95 Lava Dome – they have v-brake mounts, they’re light, plush, adjustable – everything you ask for!

kcal

I have a ’96 (I think) Kilaeua, and ran Marzocchi MXCs on them with no problems; they were 2001/2s, and 100mm as above. Still have them as spare, hardly need serviced, V mounts, bomb-proof..

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Still one of the best forks I’ve ridden. Superb action, bombproof to boot.

Only problem here is that good ones are now picking up in value.

Z2 could be worth a shout as well

cookeaa

If it doesn’t have to be totally “period” I’d look for an early 00’s MX comps or pro’s. Should be obtainable in 80mm at a sensible price, seals and bushes are still available and most importantly they are robust and reliable.

Z1/2/3 from the late 90’s will command growing “retro markup” now… probably better to avoid them IMO.

mrbotticelli

If new is an option and budget permits, then how about some new Rockshox XC32TK Solo Air’s with vbrakes mounts. I recently fitted some to a 2004 Trek that originally had 68mm travel forks.

Purchased from Alltricks for about ~£140 and then needed a spacer kit to space them down from 100mm to 80mm which was a 10 minute job.

They’ll come off the bike once it’s been outgrown and go on the next bike so should get a good return on the cost and can run them at 80/100/120mm.

Hope that helps.

AlexSimon

A vote for Fox F80 – very nice.

jedimaster
    Free Member

Does she need a 1″ steerer?

I might have exactly what you’re after
    Marzocchi MX comp, 80mm, air, v brake and disc brake compatible, 1″ steerer and yeah they’re 2007 model.

Look like this

gonzy
    Free Member

you might be able to go up to 130mm without upsetting the handling too much, but whatever amount of travel you go for, the best option would be to go for a marzocchi fork. they are absolutely bombproof and if you get a good one the action is so smooth that they can still put some modern forks to shame!!
    here are a few i spotted:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MARZOCCHI-BOMBER-Z1-BAM-SUSPENSION-FORKS-IN-ORANGE-SUIT-DISC-OR-V-BRAKES-/390836529107?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item5affac27d3

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marzocchi-Bomber-Z2-BAM-Retro-Suspension-Forks-/181404547246?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item2a3c8db8ae

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marzocchi-Z2-BAM-fork-/251510793222?pt=UK_Health_Beauty_Fragrances_Women_s_Fragrances_PP&hash=item3a8f362406

Andy-R

Does she need a 1″ steerer?

’98 Kilauea is 1-1/8th

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Another vote for Z1 or Z2 bombers.

mark90
    Free Member

Not going to try and tell you what’s best. Just to say I have some Fox F80 RL’s that I haven’t got round to putting on the classifieds or the bay yet if you decide that’s the route you want to go down. These have rebound adjustment and lockout with adjustable blow off, and v-brake mounts. Only took them off my 02 when it was down graded to a pub bike as seemed overkill for that.

BruiseWillies
    Free Member

Hmmmm food for thought. I had been looking at various Manitous of that period. It seems the consensus is they’re not so good? The funny thing is, I got the bike about 6 years ago and it had Bomber 04’s and I didn’t seem to get on with them and promptly sold. More to do with my cack-handed luddism than anything else! I’ll have to have a look into the Fox’s. Funny that there’s not much love for Rockshox of that period though……Indys no good I take it?

mindmap3
    Free Member

Indy’s were hateful, hateful things and the Judy’s not much better.

Back then Marzocchi were way ahead of the game whilst other companies were still faffing with elastomers, Marzocchi were giving us tough oil damped forks. I’d try and hunt a pair out.

The original Bombers are great things – I picked up a really cheap set for my ‘Dale single speed that I’m building up because they had a threaded steerer. Even with the cost of a new steerer (£20) they’ll be cheaper than what’s on E-Bay.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

My missus had some Indy Cs on her Sunn during its first incarnation. Even she (who just thinks a bike is a bike) commented on how rubbish they felt.

Marzocchi. Even if you have to pay £100 for some retro Z2s or something they’ll still be in another league compared to newer forks like Toras etc you can get for the same money.

And Manitou… No, just no. Every now and then I try them to see if they’re still has bad as my 1997 Pro Cs were and yes, they are.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Marzocchis for sure. Avoid Pace like the plague as their tendency to self destruct can be very dangerous. Another alternative would be some older Maguras these for example http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Magura-not-Fox-Odur-MT0100T-MB-Suspension-Forks-EXCELLENT-CONDITION-/161296573316?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item258e066384 in fact just get those.

dvatcmark
    Free Member

After trying various ‘modern’ forks on my 90s konas I settled on a Reba set to 80mm with a 90mm stem

BruiseWillies
    Free Member

It seems the Marzocchis are the way to go then. I guess that’s reflected in the Ebay pricing then……about £40 for Rockshox etc. of the period against the Bombers. I’m also maybe beginning to see why my view of a lot of suspension forks has been coloured somewhat.
    Also, what are the spares back-up for Marzocchi like?

dvatcmark
    Free Member

Just found a photo of my 94 lava dome with the Reba’s fitted. 120mm stem though so it didn’t steer very well.

gonzy
    Free Member

I think spares for older marzocchis are still avaliable. Having said that they dont really seem to go wrong so the only parts you’d need would probably be different weight springs. If you do get some marzocchis let me know, I think ive still got a couple of spare springs for one you can have for the price of postage.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Older suspension forks- what's useable?’ is closed to new replies.