Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 91 total)
  • oh chinook
  • rOcKeTdOg

One just landed at work, awesome sound!

bikemonkey
    Free Member

(Waits for pictures of Nuclear bomb victims)

tonyg2003

I remember driving up the road to porton down a few years ago and getting buzzed by a whompa whompa carrying landrover. I guess the pilot was having fun low flying. Awesome.

Gunz
    Free Member

Don’t be fooled. I’ve seen plenty of these supposed aircraft flying at work and it is a hoax. A helicopter with one rotor defies belief but two overlapping, it’s done with mirrors or something.

Houns

Yeah just took roof off at work , someone said there were 2

DezB
    Free Member

Where are you RD? One took off here at lunchtime. Green one (as usual). Hovered for a while. Noisy bugger.

el-Gato-Negro
    Free Member

One landed on an oil platform I worked on. It was too big for the helideck, so the pilot put the two back wheels down and some SBS people off. Awesome sound

Cool as…

scruff
    Free Member

I work next to RAF Stafford, they are 10 a penny. And those big ones that fly around beaches but in camo green. See them mad yank ones with all guns n’that every now and again.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Surely being impressed by a Chinook is like being impressed by a removals van?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Love Chinooks! See them flying over me quite often. Following the Thames…

Strike me as the perfect MTB holiday vehicle; like a big vayn/motorhome, but what don’t get stuck in traffic on motorways.

If I am ever incredibly wealthy, I am going to buy one, and adapt it for holidaying duties. Can you imagine, landing one in trail centre car-parks??

‘Oops, sorry mate, is that your Audi/Mondeo/Skoda I’ve just landed on? I do apologise!’

😀

(Waits for pictures of Nuclear bomb victims)

You’re gonna have a long wait then. 😉

ebygomm
    Free Member

They’d always seemed loud but never appreciated how loud until I’d seen one fairly close.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Surely being impressed by a Chinook is like being impressed by a removals van?

Have you seen a removals vayn with the manoeuvrability of a Chinook?

DezB
    Free Member

I’ve certainly never seen a removal van hovering 10ft off the ground. Not recently anyway.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I saw two fly above me this morning somewhere on the A1/M1 link road around Leeds.

(Chinooks that is, not removal vans).

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Have you seen a removals vayn with the manoeuvrability of a Chinook?

You try turning a Chinook round in a housing estate, then backing it up your drive, without lopping the roofs off several houses and killing a few people…. go on!

Anyway, you’re missing the point: It’s a lumbering workhorse.

rOcKeTdOg

Dezb, south west midlands, so feasable, but would be a medical flight

Country_Gent
    Free Member

PP, I think in the removals industry that’s referred to as an occupational hazard!

Houns

RD why do they come to you and not to Selly Oak? Any info on the guy? (sorry sounds like i’m rubber necking!)

rOcKeTdOg

No idea houns, although there’s been a doc in military fatigues knocking about but as you say they usually go to SO

Houns

Must sadly be over capacity :0(

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

You try turning a Chinook round in a housing estate, then backing it up your drive, without lopping the roofs off several houses and killing a few people…. go on!

No, but I’ve seen a few removal vayns come close! 😀

Yes, they’re a ‘workhorse’, but a pretty versatile workhorse. Great bit of engineering.

gonefishin
    Free Member

Helicopters: Small metal box with a fast spinning knife above your head.
    Chinook: Large metal box with two fast spinning knives above your head.

Bloody dangerous things if you ask me and I’m glad I haven’t flown in one for years.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Great fun when they do the old “Fail Safe”.. 😯

And Parachuting out of them, is, well, “interesting….”

nickc

Anyway, you’re missing the point: It’s a lumbering workhorse.

Faster than the Apache…

One comes over me, heading north routinely…never see it coming back though

nuke

Just had two go more or less over our house at low level. Not sure why Dorking gets so many (Milton Court allowing landings?) but we all run to the window every time we hear one….we love them 😀

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

A chinook? In the Midlands? Did you fohn the Met?

LHS
    Free Member

Some pretty talented pilots out there!

Andituk
    Free Member

Never seen a removal van do that either 😀

Awesome engineering.

showerman
    Free Member

LHS the video of tha manover is good to watch

Andituk
    Free Member

Oops, beaten to it 😀

RepacK
    Free Member

Faster than the Apache…

Apaches werent built to be fast..

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Mate’s husband and Goaty from Bikemagic works on ’em – cracking machines. 🙂

Houns

Talking of military aircraft over south west midlands – RD did you hear a jet scream low overhead last night?

ChrisL

Seeing a Chinook perform aerobatic tricks at an airshow reminds me of that Douglas Adams quote:

The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don’t.

brassneck

If you’re around Hampshire way, check out Chute village fete each summer – they usually have one land and let you poke around and annoy the pilots, then take off and fly past @ 16:00 with one of them leaning out the window waving.
    Awesome sight, sound and backwash.

crazy-legs

Chinooks have a deserved reputation for making all the passengers sick. One guy I flew with filled 2 sick bags!

Personally I loved them, they’re incredibly manoeuvrable, can fling them right on the wingtip to get round corners.

midlifecrashes

Saw the pair Mastiles spotted further down the A1 mid morning too.

tim41
    Free Member

Pendant plane spotter mode. That’s not a chinook in the youtube vid, its a much smaller CH-46 Sea Knight. IIRC the crew all died. Not pleasant.

mrclean
    Free Member

i genuinely apologise if those links offend or upset anyone.
    a bit thoughtless of me i admit

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 91 total)

The topic ‘oh chinook’ is closed to new replies.