Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Odd question – whats the smallest space I can fit a toilet into?
  • DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Getting a few quotes for a utility room extension put on the house and the thought came to us last night about getting a bog put in it too. But because we're in a conservation area and as such, the size of the extension is a little limited without getting planning etc, we're pushed for space. So I was wondering, could you fit a toilet into a cupboard sized 'room' about 3ft x 4ft? Basin etc not needed as there'll be a sink outside in the utility room.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

There will be building regs on this. You would need to check. You can put them in very small spaces tho.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

We have a downstairs loo in a tiny space – I have just looked at the drawings and it is approx .9m x 1.25m based on my rough sketches to the builder (I could measure exactly tonight if you like).

We fitted this set Good old Screwfix

EDIT: You can download my measurements here using that toilet set – the space also has a sloped ceiling as it is under the stairs.
    LINKY

Not sure about any building regs regarding minimum space (as Tandem's comment) but it does need to have an extractor fitted if it is an internal space.

cynic-al
    Free Member

You can get smaller toilets (been looking into this recently) which would help – I think you'd be OK with that space as long as the door wasn't opening into it. You don't need much width, it'll be the depth you'll need to look at.

sockpuppet

is it worth looking into getting planning permission and building what you actually want/need rather than compromising perhaps too much?

or is that not an option given local restrictions?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I have edited my above post with a drawing to download if you like…

ciron
    Free Member

No minimum size for a WC, only for disabled / ambulant facilities, which this isn't. Just make sure you can manage to use it, but 3 x 4 sounds like enough.

As cynic-al said, most manufacturers have space saving models. You might also need to be creative with locating the cistern and connecting into the drainage. Overhead cisterns don't necessarily need to be mounted behind or above the pan which often saves space.

Slightly surprised that you don't need planning consent in a conservation area. Did a planning officer advise you on this?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

We can build an extension up to 10% of the floorspace of the house (as long as its in keeping with the area etc etc). Going mad with a bigger extension isn't really an option due to the space we want to build it in (back yard the size of two car parking spaces).

Looked it up and there seems to be conflicting views on building regs (Part M?) and just doing it… I'll have a word with the next builder we have around for a quote but there seems to be people putting toilets into tiny spaces (74cm x 94cm!)

Cheers all.

mogrim

Drop a smelly one in that small a space is going to be a nostril-clearing experience, how's it set up for ventilation?

ciron
    Free Member

The 10% rule sounds right, but I'd be surprised if it was permissable in a conservation area. I would seriously check that again.

Part M certainly shouldn't apply in your situation. Well, unless you have a disabled user in your family and are trying to accommodate them.

mogrim

More usefully: how much head room is there? Weeing standing up is a pain if you're forced to bend over the whole time.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Drop a smelly one in that small a space is going to be a nostril-clearing experience, how's it set up for ventilation?

Surprisingly it isn't that bad – as I said above, to meet regs it has to have ventilation (ours has a small extractor that routes under the floorboards and out of the gable end of the house) and it has an isolator so it isn't always on yet smells haven't been an issue at all.

Regarding headroom – that can be an issue in ours (but you can only work with what you have). But I am 5ft8 on a good day and it is fine and taller people can always sit.

Harry_the_Spider

We fitted an under stairs loo at our last house into a space measuring 700mm x 1200mm. Small toilet, very small corner sink and outwards opening door.

Do I win a prize?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

When we were doing ours we considered this… I believe the basin waste runs into the cistern too so it is recycled.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

OOPS

wwaswas

I'm not sure if that's genius or madness m_f!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

It is certainly a solution to a problem and greener to boot.

My wife didn't like the idea of straddling the loo to wash her hands. I didn't like the fact it was 3 times as expensive as a traditional space-saver set. 🙂

Harry_the_Spider

Awesome! Put a mirror above the sink and you could shave and s##t at the same time.

Think of the time you would save in the morning.

I bet Julia Bradbury has one.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Awesome! Put a mirror above the sink and you could shave and s##t at the same time.

LOL
    Space-saving, water-saving, time-saving shitter.

BigJohn

If it's the only bog in the house, make sure there's enough room to crap if you're leg's in plaster. And you'll need room to stretch out for a huey.

But I did once stay in a hotel in France that had an 800×800 shower cubicle, with small basin and a wooden lattice base. Lift up the wooden lattice and there were the 2 porcelain foot bases for an old french squatting bog.

Harry_the_Spider

The downside is that it doesn't have a flat topped cistern, so you have nowhere to put your sandwich if you are in there for the afternoon.

Tinners

I guess that it all depends on your attitude towards "evacuating" whilst in the standing position. Provided you have no objections and your physique allows, you could probably get away with a floor space of about 18 inches by 18 inches. However, I doubt if you'd get anything "off the shelf" to suit your needs and would probably have to construct some sort of Heath Robinson apparatus involving plastic guttering and a trap door. I would also budget for a pullcord to activate the mechanism, so as to avoid soiling your fingers.
    Don't forget to allow an extra 2 inches headroom for the inevitable flexing of the toes prior to "the shake" at the end.

sq225917
    Free Member

I once managed to use a box of Bryant and May cooks matches as a decent shitter, so i guess that wins…

coffeeking
    Free Member

Seems like most bathrooms in Scottish houses are approximately large enough for 1 toilet, one bath and nothing else. It seems that generally the sink overhangs the bath and the loo is so close to the wall that you need to lean over when sat on it. If that helps.

Talkemada
    Free Member

if you are in there for the afternoon.

😯

snowslave

just wear spacemen suits.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Odd question – whats the smallest space I can fit a toilet into?’ is closed to new replies.