Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 153 total)
  • No helmets – Why? Are they mad?
  • kobra2771
    Free Member

Makes me cringe when i see someone out on their bike without a helmet on.

Dont get me wrong, when i was younger i never used to wear one, but since i started downhilling you realise how important they are.

Downhillers, roadies, you see them all. I want to give them a shake, for as little as a couple of £ you could save a life, your own.

druidh
    Free Member

TJ TO THE FORUUUUMM!!!

coogan
    Free Member

Oh dear…

druidh
    Free Member

It’s gonna end in tears..

Cougar

*gets popcorn*

TheBrick
    Free Member

FFS.

RepacK
    Free Member

Hes new here surely?..

househusband

*dons ear defenders*

clubber
    Free Member

Sweet, salted or butter?

AlasdairMc

A poor troll for a Sunday night, but bound to elicit the usual response.

Bravo that man.

bigG
    Free Member

Since my recent “off” on the road which resulted in a split helmet and one helluva headache I’ll not be heading out without a helmet. Seems to be particularly rife at the this time of year. Casualty doc was convinced I saved myself substantial damage as a result of wearing it. To make it even better, due to Giro’s crash replacement policy I get a shiny new one at a vast reduction.

psling
    Free Member

but since i started downhilling you realise how important they are.

Do you wear a full-face helmet + arm & leg armour too?

kimbers

nickc

There should be a fine to pay before you bring up this subject, like:

“Before embarking on the nightmare of recrimination that is a helmet wearing thread, the OP shall pay £50.00”

That should discourage this sort of thing

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Sensible adults in risking their lives shock

_tom_
    Free Member

I don’t wear a helmet on the road. Probably would if I was riding in cities. Always wear it off road/if my wheels are going to be leaving the ground.

druidh
    Free Member

Sensible adults

Where?

tollah
    Free Member

Burn Them

pastcaring
    Free Member

Sensible adults in risking their lives shock

you’re riding a tandem hardly sensible… 😆

jokes

Moonhead
    Free Member

I’d have to agree.

I don’t do uber downhill stuff but would feel naked without a helmet whatever I was doing. And in some cases I will have knee pads etc….then after breaking my wrist I sometimes wear wrist protection too. I guess it’s a personal risk assessment but I think a helmet is the one thing you would be daft not to wear.

I got chatting to a lad out on a trail who told me about his friend who ripped his face apart when he came off on a downhill run. No helmet. I asked if it had changed his mind about wearing one and he said it hadn’t.

Like you say, could save your life…. Or maybe he is too cool for school….. or maybe it’s just a matter of natural selection.

bigG
    Free Member

Sorry, have to toss my tuppence worth in here. I’m not suggesting that the wearing of helmets is compulsory. I do suggest that if people want to take the risk then good luck to them. But I won’t be overly shocked or sympathetic if some halfwit splits their head when a helmet would have prevented the injury.

U31
    Free Member

I’d wear one if they didn’t look akin to a Glans….
    Where do you normally find a glans… on top of a ….

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

ripped his face apart when he came off on a downhill run. No helmet.

Right so he rips his FACE so should wear a helmet that has no face coverage? or should we all be in FF helmets all the time

You broke your wrist and this is proof you should wear a helmet?

🙄

Will somneone get me away from this thread please? MODS!

clubber
    Free Member

How about the xc rider who’s paralysed in a crash while not wearing a spine protector, BigG?

crikey
    Free Member

Jesus, I can’t believe it’s time for a helmet thread again. I’ve spent the day looking after a chap who fell downstairs drunk, head injury, CT scan etc etc etc….

Anyone think to put a helmet on whenever they have a drink?

He was ok, as it happens, said ‘Will girls still fancy me?’ when he woke up.

I said ‘Did they fancy you before?’

‘Nah’ he said, that’s why I got so drunk…

Moonhead
    Free Member

No I said it’s about personal risk assessment…read the post dude…

crikey
    Free Member

TJ you and I should really duck out RIGHT NOW.

Be strong, step away from the keyboard… 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

If its good enough for charlie kelly…………

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Should have had knee pads today. Nothing broken, but quite sore. Nasty slippy rock and being too timid done for me.

I have broken a couple of helmets so always wear one when riding.

pennine
    Free Member

This subject comes up on UKClimbing forums in equal measure with as many for as against.

khani
    Free Member

If you don’t stop arguing about helmets’ the kitten gets it!

bigG
    Free Member

Clubber, it’s all about minimising the risk in my opinion. You’ll never remove it entirely, and still make it a fun sport. We could all quote examples of sportsmen and women that receive injuries that are both unexpected and well outwith the norm.

If people want to take the risk, that’s their choice. In my opinion, and experience, wearing a helmet has twice saved me from potentially serious head injuries so I’ll wear one everytime I’m out on my bike.

I do think it’s a perfectly valid discussion though, and shouldn’t be written off as a topic just because of someone’s almost evangelical stance. Torching someone and telling them to F off just because you disagree, well, it’s not exactly an adult response is it?

psling
    Free Member

Shouldn’t the kitten be wearing a bulet-proof vest?

psling
    Free Member

Or a helmet, at the very least? 8)

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

” it’s not exactly an adult response is it?”

Errr this is STW. We are actually all 15yo.

crikey
    Free Member

bigG:

clubber
    Free Member

If people want to take the risk, that’s their choice. In my opinion, and experience, wearing a helmet has twice saved me from potentially serious head injuries so I’ll wear one everytime I’m out on my bike.

And I would write almost exactly the same. I’m still in favour of personal choice.

As to the debate it’s all been done before. Perfectly valid subject just very boring now.

khani
    Free Member

This one needs a helmet!

bigG
    Free Member

thanks for confirming to me that STW continues to be the home of rationale argument, along with pictures of cute kittens and arses.

I’ll take your lack of sensible response as an agreement with my argument. I win!

crikey
    Free Member

No, Grandad, your win is full of fail

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 153 total)

The topic ‘No helmets – Why? Are they mad?’ is closed to new replies.