Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • New bike, very exciting.
  • daveh
    Free Member

First new bike since 2006 [though there’s been a few builds and 2nd hand ones ;-)]. 2nd ever full susser and most complicated forks yet, I’ve got some twiddling to do! Least the weather is good…..

dannybgoode

Looks sweet – is that a Genesis Grapil (eyes aren’t that good). If so – jealous!

Let me know how she rides

Cheers

Danny B

Rubber-Duck

Yep, nice looking piece of kit. 😀

daveh
    Free Member

Indeed it is, not as less known as I thought then! A run up and down the road tells me the back end is more compliant than a c456! Sensible comment will have to wait. The bars seem narrow but at 740mm they not really, I guess I’ve got use to 780mm. I like the lack of hydroforming, the anodised finish, the bushings not bearings and the sensible slx full spec. At the new price is not bad value either to my mind.

daveh
    Free Member

So, results of the first ride – just a quick blast out on Wharncliffe trails. Overall thoughts: It pedals well, little bob even without propedal; its extremely quiet, I guess mainly owing to the shadow plus mech; lots of traction on rocky climbs; stable at speed but also very playful, you can throw it around and be involved, it doesn’t just muller everything.

Things I especially liked: the feel of the rear end, firm when you want it to be, working with you when things get bumpy or furious. The fact that you’re still very much involved in riding it, not just sitting while it does the work. The Shimano kit all just works.

Things I didn’t like: at present the front end feels too high & the bars too narrow. My C456 is quite low owing to the slackset and short headtube and has a 60mm stem and 780mm bars, I think i’ll be changing the cockpit around some. The Revelations are firm/don’t sag, but when moving quickly go through their travel. I seem to remember my other Revelations being like this when new, they bedded in nicely after a few rides so I hope these will be the same. The Rubber Queens aren’t a patch on Hans Dampfs in wet & muddy conditions, quite skittish. I can see them being good in summer though, they certainly roll fast.

Think that’s it, subject to a few personal touches we should get along just fine!

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Looks a giggle. Enjoy.

dannybgoode

Nice – how are the trails. Were muddy as hell on the Greno side at the weekend and I can’t see it getting any better with the forecast.

Not ventured down the Wharncliffe side yet since I bought my bike.

(A stable-mate Genesis Latitude 00).

Cheers

Danny B

daveh
    Free Member

Trails a boggy mess, pretty much everywhere. I think I’ll be putting it away for a while until things improve.

robbonzo
    Free Member

Very interested to hear more Daveh, looks great. Im seriously considering one. I think they look good value at the new price too.

Does it ride light? Do you think you’d ever want to use a longer stroke shock on it or does it feel just right?

How is that ano finish in the flesh, some photos it looks great others a bit dull, I guess its understated stealth?!

flyingmonkeycorps

Ace. Looks (and sounds like it rides) a lot like my Hemlock. This is a Good Thing, far as I’m concerned!

heebyjeeby

Do like the look of those is she a weighty beast?

daveh
    Free Member

Bear in mind my thoughts are presently based on a single 1.5 hour ride in Wharncliffe, read: smooth Transpennine trail/fireroad, a quick up and down the crags (quite Peak District rocky in places, otherwise fast singletrack) and a through the trees mud fest.

Does it ride light? I’d say yes drawing on personal experience of c456, Rocky Ridge & Heckler. Uphill: You can’t feel any bob, its barely there if you look at the linkage, and this is with propedal off. Subject to my comments on the RQ, it finds traction. My Heckler had a tendency to stop dead if you hit something fairly big fairly slow, whereas the hardtails ping over. It seems like its going to ping over rather than blow through the suspension. Downhill: The Heckler (with coil) always felt as if it was doing the work, you just pointed it and pedalled, so much so I sold it and went back to the Rocky Ridge (then c456). The Grapil is stable (as my c456 with 2º slackset) but also involving, you can work it and pop off stuff. It feels great. I can’t foresee the need for a 140mm back end, but there again I am (was) a hardtail fan, soggy doesn’t suit me. Last night I took the bars out to 750mm and dropped the stem 10mm, the front end suited me much better then. May still look to a 70mm or 60mm stem, we’ll see.

Finish is nice in the flesh, I guess pretty much like any other black ano frame. Black, matt and looks like anodising! 🙂 Its certainly stealthy!

Weight on my (Weight Watchers!) electronic scales was 30lbs without pedals for a 20”. Not light weight, but not heavy either. The frame is supposed to be 7lbs ish, I guess there’s probably a bit of weight in the wheels (slx hubs, 470g rims).

Robbonzo – I can email you a target price if you’d like. 🙂

robbonzo
    Free Member

I’ve just pulled the trigger Dave, its your fault if I don’t like it! 😉

Ive gone for the Grapil 20, I think I will be swapping out the wheels for my WTB i23’s, going 1×10, and swapping over some XT bits from my other bike. I literally cant wait. Got a great deal.

Regarding the rubber queens, there’s an interesting thread today about them, seems that they need to be run at lower pressures to get the most out of them.

cheers for your insight Dave.

daveh
    Free Member

That’s what I like to see, a man of decisive action and reckless spending! Subject to the usual personal tweeks I bet (hope!) you’ll love it. Do report back. Very tempted to hear about your deal but I won’t ask, one of us might end up upset! 😀

daveh
    Free Member

Oh, and must try lower pressures as you say, I just fear for the tubes!

pbooker1995
    Free Member

It looks like you have the normal Rubber Queens. i.e. not black chili. I find the black chili ones very good. I believe Dan Atherton runs them at 40PSI so they must be ok 😉

daveh
    Free Member

Yeah, they’re not the black chili, and 2.2s not the 2.4s. I know from my road bike that black chili is good! I reckon they’ll be great summer tyres but the knobbles are too short for deep mud and the sidewalls seem to squidge quite a bit despite relatively high pressures. We’ll see I guess.

rOcKeTdOg

Nice, looks tall, do they do a 29er version?

flyingmonkeycorps

Hey daveh, I think I bought your Heckler! It’s gone to a new home (portlyone off here) since then though 🙂

daveh
    Free Member

Tall? BB is 13.2 inch static, which I think is relatively low isn’t it? Perhaps its perspective in the photo owing to the saddle, I did think after posting, it was just a random height while helitaping, I don’t ride it that high. No 29er to my knowledge.

flyingmonkeycorps – black 06 frame with DHX coil, from a bloke who mysteriously missed out any 40’s while counting the cash? 😳 If so yes, how did you get on with it? I take it its still going strong then? Too short and too much bike for me.

robbonzo
    Free Member

I will indeed report back when it arrives, I won’t ask what you paid, lets just both stay happy.

rOcKeTdOg

Ah, i though saddle was at optimum height, as you were

flyingmonkeycorps

daveh – sounds like the one, I’m pretty sure we went for a ride round Wharncliffe (you on your Rocky Ridge, me on a Stiffee) when I came to pick it up.

I really enjoyed it, also found it a little bit short and it was probably a size too big for me too, but I had great fun on it around the Peak, Lakes and Alps. Far as I know it’s still going strong, I think it’s been powdercoated (possibly blue) now and had at least one more trip to the Alps…

sputnik
    Free Member

LOL , it didn’t take long for the 29er brigade to come sniffing!
    Well done sir, someone bought a new bike and it has 26 ” wheels ! (The shock, the horror)

robbonzo
    Free Member

Grapil arrives at the Dealer on Thurs, hopefully Ill have it in time for some easter fun!

hora
    Free Member

Looks lovely- low-slung too

Frankers
    Free Member

rOcKeTdOg – Member
    Nice, looks tall, do they do a 29er version?

For the 29er lovers

robbonzo
    Free Member

now that is a sorted 29er.

Frankers
    Free Member

Forks need dropping to 120mm

hora
    Free Member

For the 29er lovers

It looks like a full suss road bike. Not a fan of 29’ers. Although that frame looks noice.

Frankers
    Free Member

hora – Member
    For the 29er lovers
    It looks like a full suss road bike. Not a fan of 29’ers.

Each to their own, but…… how the **** does that look like a road bike ???

daveh
    Free Member

Grapil arrives at the Dealer on Thurs, hopefully Ill have it in time for some easter fun!

If only, I’ve only managed the one ride, even if the snow disappears it’ll still be a disaster zone.

Hora- without wishing to seem like a troll perhaps you should consider one, it’s too early to tell but I’m hopeful it’s going to ride a bit like my c456 but without the battering.

daveh
    Free Member

Pyga, never heard of that, looks a very nice piece of kit. I dare not try a 29er now, in case I like them!

mindmap3
    Free Member

daveh…new bike looks nice.

Those standard Rubber Queens are pants. I tried a pair and couldn’t believe how bad they were, they didn’t grip anything. I rode the new track at Parkwood Springs last year, and they didn’t really grip the hard packed surface…at all. Properly sketchy. Admittedly, I am comparing them to Maxxis High Rollers ( Super Tacky front, 60a rear).

Just changed to Hans Dampf’s and I’m well impressed with them.

hora
    Free Member

Daveh how much do you weigh?

philbert31
    Free Member

That Pyga frame is sweet!

Bregante

Itching for a go on a Pyga oneten and a Banshee Prime at the moment. Both look really sorted but I’ve never tried a FS 29er (though I’m loving my rigid Karate Monkey)

daveh
    Free Member

Daveh how much do you weigh?

A lady never tells! In recent years between a very rare 14 stone and a hopefully not to be repeated 17.5 stone. Presently I’m at a baby induced 16 stone (it’s not just the women who put on weight!). Why’d you ask?

hora
    Free Member

I had a theory on the c456. Some riders said rigid others not. I thought it could be partly rider weight. Im 97kgs of pure pork and never felt beat up. Maybe had to be a certain weight to overcome (?) the rigidity?! I felt it was very compliant!

Frankers
    Free Member

Bregante – Member
    Itching for a go on a Pyga oneten and a Banshee Prime at the moment. Both look really sorted but I’ve never tried a FS 29er (though I’m loving my rigid Karate Monkey)

I demo’d quite a few 29er FS a few weeks ago at a Leisure Lakes demo day, looking forward to having a go on the Pyga

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘New bike, very exciting.’ is closed to new replies.