• This topic has 35 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by richc.
Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • New bike. 1997 Kona refurb with new kit. Pic Heavy.
  • Wozza
    Free Member

Was looking for something completely different to my 150mm Full Susser!

Picked up the frame out of the classifieds a few months ago cheers Monty.

Collected a few bits since then, got started on Saturday night.

Hope headset, XT 770 cranks with Middleburn Rings

Fox F120’s, Thomson X4, Easton Carbon Monkeybars.

Some more XT 770, X-Fusion Hilo and a Salsa clamp. 317s on Average hubs. Some Hope on the way soon.

XTR Discs… I forgot how much of a pain IS mounts are!

Bit of tweaking, finishing kit and Indexing. All done!

Cheers.

soma_rich
    Free Member

Thats lovely! cant beat an old steel Kona.

Is that a real antler on the hearth?

Wozza
    Free Member

Cheers Yeah it is, it wasn’t the best when my mate found it. The good set are on the wall.

jwr

Corrr – that’s very nice. Enjoy!

asterix
    Free Member

yeah – lovely, well done:-)

eyerideit
    Free Member

Nice, I’d do something like that with mine if it didn’t have a 1″ headtube.

😕

Where did you have the mount welded on?

Wozza
    Free Member

Thanks. I bought the frame like that but I’d been done by Argos. Great job too. Seat tube was reamed out to 27.2 by Northwest MTB.

No chance of any 1″ forks… or a Lefty adapter?

letmetalktomark

I like that 8)

Despite my thoughts on fork travel expressed in the other thread that looks sweet. I take it the fork is in 120mm mode?

Makes me think about removing some spacers from my 90mm Reba now …… 😆

soma_rich
    Free Member

Not many Konas were 1″ My 1992 Cindercone isn’t is yours earlier than that?

mamadirt
    Free Member

Looks lovely. Glad you kept the red.

Wozza
    Free Member

Cheers.

Despite my thoughts on fork travel expressed in the other thread that looks sweet. I take it the fork is in 120mm mode?

I left it at 120mm, doesn’t feel overly slack to be honest. Our possibly duff angle meter at work is saying it’s head tube is around 67-68ish.

Makes me think about removing some spacers from my 90mm Reba now

Do it!

Pleased with the red, glad I didn’t change it too.

cakefacesmallblock

Like that ! Looks good left red too.

I’ve just resurrected a 1996 steel Rockhopper which a friend kindly gave me and left the frame in it’s now heavy “patina” grey paint. I’m riding it already, although really, for full effect, I still need to sort new pedals, saddle, bars stem and grips, but coming together well. Despite the fact I’d promised myself I wouldn’t make it attractive to the oiks, as it was just intended to be a hack / pub ride, I’ve inevitably become a bit over obsessed by it. How does this happen ?
    I even took it for a ride in the forest last night to see if 100mm Vanilla fork worked, it did from a geometry point of view, even if as a fork, it’s about as refined as dung. Steel frame felt nice though.
    Looks like I’ll have to build another unattractive heap to go to the pub on.

superfli
    Free Member

Looks lovely. Surprise its OK with 120 forks though, and ’97 vintage with disc mounts?

Alpha1653

That’s definitely an Argos job on the rear disc mount, identical to mine:

I’ve got 100mm Floats on mine and it rides perfectly fine and even handles quicker than my Heckler. I’ve just put some Exotic carbon rigids on it and it’s now super light and super quick – if I didn’t know, I would not have known it was 16 years old!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/1450110_10152031220759839_2069179093_n.jpg

Alpha1653

Sorry, last photo didn’t link properly:

haggis1978

Very nice looking bike there. Need to get mine on the go soon. FYI Kona never changed the geometry of their xc hardtails till around 2004 (from 1994). All they did was shorten their stems so a 100mm fork shouldn’t be an issue at all.

billytinkle
    Free Member

Bike looks great Wozza – lovely job 😀

trebord
    Free Member

looks real nice 😉

robbo76
    Free Member

That looks very nice. I would like to do something like that to my old 1999 Kona explosif

zippykona

I think anything below a Lava Dome was 1″.

timc
    Free Member

red looks great, not sure on the 120mm travel myself, id be going for 100mm myself.

considered going 1×10?

iain1775
    Free Member

RN my 1996 Voodoo with 130 forks for a while, 120/100 are best though

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I think anything below a Lava Dome was 1″.

Hmm. Don’t think so. I had a 94 Hahannah and I think that was 1 1/8in

Wozza
    Free Member

Cheers for the replies. Yeah it feels good with 120mm, all be it around the office and warehouse at work. No chance with 1×10, I live in Kendal and don’t have the legs for that!

Nice bike Alpha, love the blue colour.

Dunno if the 1″ comment is aimed at me, mine’s 1″1/8th. I think it’s a Lava Dome or Caldera, I don’t think it’s got any exotic tubing in there.

Turned out that I made it just in time… the back end of my Tracer has just cracked 😥 x 1million.

kevhl
    Free Member

Nicely done, looks great!

Here’s my 1995 Kona in it’s older build:

And in it’s current build, lives at work for lunchtime rides now:

purser_mark
    Free Member

Nice bike, I always regret selling my vintage 853 steel Explosif, although I know where it is!

Wozza
    Free Member

NICE!!! That looks brilliant.

stevestunts
    Free Member

Lovely looking bikes there, lads.

Here’s mine, 1993 Explosif:

Alpha1653

Kevhl: pretty sure I used your original build as a reference point on Retrobike when I was building mine.

Wozza: have a look at the seat and chain stays if you’re not sure if it’s a Lava Dome (same frame as a Cinder Cone I think for some reason) or a Caldera. If the seat/chain stay to drop outs are like this then it’s a Caldera (compliments to letmetalktomark!)

thepodge
    Free Member

I have some 120 forks and a 93 cinder cone…

Would it be wrong to put a disc tab & sliding dropouts on it for its 21st birthday?

eyerideit
    Free Member

it’s this

I’ve always thought it was a 1″, is it not?

Alpha1653

Podge: are you riding it at the moment? It’s not cheap to get the work done properly – getting a disc tab and a few cable guides cost about £150 I seem to remember, plus then a paint job on top. Before you do anything, have a look at retrobike.co.uk for inspiration.

jamj1974

Love your bike OP and your Cindercone Kevhl

racefaceec90

absolutely horrible 😉 i will be more than happy to take it and destroy it for you 🙂

m1kea
    Free Member

These look nice and prompt me to think about resurrecting my 94 Cinder Cone.

That came with a 1″ fork

richc
    Free Member

will the headtube be strong enough for the leverage created by a 120mm fork?

I always though you ran the risk of tearing them off……

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘New bike. 1997 Kona refurb with new kit. Pic Heavy.’ is closed to new replies.