Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • My first day as a house husband!
  • MoreCashThanDash

MrsMC and I have swapped roles, so she is working full time and I’m dropping to three days a week. I have Mondays and Fridays off. Be interesting to see how early in the day my first post here will be on working and none working days!

So far today I have got youngest to school, started Week 2 of the Couch to 5k running programme, done my core and physio work, dusted all the cobwebs off the ceilings, hoovered through the house including under furniture, one load of washing, popped to the village shop, washed the car, hoovered up all the leaves ready for the brown bin collection tomorrow.

And taken delivery of two parcels for her ladyship, neither of which look like anything I wanted for Christmas.

I have got a bike ride sized window pencilled in my mental diary for Friday though…..

weeksy

What are you cooking for tea ?

When are you doing the ironing ?

Have you cleaned all the kitchen ? What about the oven ?

Emptied the dishwasher ?

chopped the logs ?

matt_outandabout

Mondays and Fridays off

‘Off’ 😆

jekkyl

did you fulfill your carnal needs within 30 minutes of being alone in the house?
    if no don’t lie.

MoreCashThanDash

No carnal needs fulfilled yet.

Kitchen was done yesterday, oven cleaned by MrsMC last week as she had 3 weeks between jobs. Dishwasher emptied, jacket spuds for a quick tea tonight as I need to get out the door as soon as she’s home. Ironing in about half an hour when the tumble dryer finishes.

No logs to be chopped. I’m not that STW!

burnsybhoy
    Free Member

Good effort but how long will it last?

AlexSimon

People clean ovens?

weeksy

Have you baked ? You’ve got to make some apple turnovers, scones, muffins… surely ?

dazh

lucky b*****! I’d love to be a house husband. I keep moaning to the Mrs to be more ambitious in her career. She’s starting her own business soon so fingers crossed!

franksinatra

Have you watched any Top Gear yet on Dave?

binners

Is Homes Under the Hammer on yet?

brakes
    Free Member

People clean ovens?

they’re all self-cleaning aren’t they?

MoreCashThanDash

Muffins were done Saturday night – admittedly by the kids rather than me, but we haven’t finished them yet.

burnsybhoy
    Free Member

Judge Rinder is on at 2pm

MoreCashThanDash

And I’ve not had the telly on yet

thomasgeorge
    Free Member

I’ve been a house husband/stay at home day for nearly 5 years now, and love it. Be careful though, you may find that Mrs MCTD will frown upon cheeky bike rides during the day, when your are allegedly supposed to be at home. When I do pop out for a sneaky one, I try to go first thing, so not scratching to pick the kids up, in case of any punctures etc.

Have fun, and enjoy, and don’t worry about baking, I never have.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Well all I can say is you’ve completely f**ked that up. You’ve done waaaaaaay too much. How are you going to get a ride in every day now that you have done that much work in one day? Should have done taking the kids to school and maybe hoovering as well if you’re feeling especially full of energy. If any of this is questioned just burst into tears and shout ‘HAVE YOU ANY IDEA HOW HARD IT IS TO DRIVE AND GET A PARKING SPOT DURING THE SCHOOL RUSH?’ followed by ‘You don’t know how hard it is you’re just drinking tea at work with your feet up’

sandwicheater

Mmmmm, caramel needs.

kerley
    Free Member

All sounds a bit old fashioned to me.

My wife works 4 days per week and she can do what she wants on her day off. She works part time because we can afford to and she should make the most of that day off. We both enjoy cooking so cook together in the evening and all other chores are just shared/we do when we fancy

You can also reduce the chores;
    – Self cleaning oven
    – Ceramic hob just needs a wipe over
    – Clothes that don’t need ironing
    – Shopping online
    – etc,.

binners

Thats, just… like… beautiful, man

ThePinkster

Is Homes Under the Hammer on yet?

^This^

I’ll give it 2 weeks before you find yourself timing the ironing to coincide with Homes Under The Hammer.

bikebouy
    Free Member

dusted all the cobwebs off the ceilings, hoovered through the house including under furniture.

Well thats done for another year then, what else to fill your day because clearly you’ll not do that, like every day.

Will you? 😯

Still, enjoy it. You’ll find too much to fill Mondays and Fridays up without biking I betcha.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I was a ‘house husband’ all of October when I was recovering from knee surgery.

It was a wonderful, stress free month – house cleaned, tea made, ironing done, odd jobs done round the house. Weekends were free to do exactly as we pleased with no household chore type stuff to do. It was bloody great, unfortunately back to the usual chasing our tails routine.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Remember to wipe your internet history . General life tip for free in fact. May I ask what you do on the three dad a week when you work? I am planning on becoming a house husband too early next year so am doing some research

badnewz
    Free Member

I give it a month until…

bearnecessities

Nice tits.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

No need to iron after tumble drying. Fold/hang as soon as it’s done and it’ll be reet.

More bike time.

hammyuk
    Free Member

You iron? WTF!!!

beej

Wipe history? Have you not heard of Incognito mode?

Plus you need to get a Roomba for the day to day hoovering. Press start, go for bike ride. It’s multitasking at its best.

hooli

Pace yourself, otherwise you will rub yourself raw 😉

scotroutes

I’m househusband until April (same as last year). Seems to work out pretty well as we get more time for skiing/walking/paddling when she’s not working.

honourablegeorge

You can save time on hovering by just telling your wife you hoovered

I work from home two days a week. It’s more stress than being in the office.

MoreCashThanDash

Howsyoudad1 – I’m a lowly civil servant. MrsMC has a proper job.

*goes off to Google “Roomba”*

tillydog
    Free Member

… hoovered up all the leaves ready for the brown bin collection tomorrow.

She won’t be happy…

I’ve done it for about ten years, initially a 3 day week, but latterly a late start/early finish thing. 3 days a week is extremely civilised, I recommend it to everyone.

I had a no TV / work internet only rule during the day, just to make sure I got *something* done.

Our kids are old enough that there’s no real justification now (one is at uni!), but I’m hanging on to my part-time status.

In a few weeks you’ll be wondering where the time goes.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I look after my 18month old 3 days a week, work 3 and get one full day for riding. Now I’m in quiet work season I’ll only be working 1-2 days a week which means more biking! The days I’ve got the boy i only get a turbo session at best when he’s sleeping. I don’t go daft with chores but always cook the dinners 7 days a week and keep things tidy.

The tough bit is not having grown ups to talk to for those 3 days. I take him to a couple of toddler groups where I’m usually the only dad, def a bit trickier to make daytime friends as the mums seem naturally less chatty with a bloke!

Stoner
    Free Member

Other than 1 day a trip up to Landaahn, I too live the life of the unemployed househusband.

Having got the kids ready for school, and walked them in and myself home, it’s usually 9:15.

I have to start walking again just after 3pm. So that’s about 6hours in the day. You’d be surprised how quickly it can go, especially if you are waiting on conference calls that keep getting put back by an hour, 10mins before they were due to start Grrrrrrrr…..But generally I get around 2-3hrs of proper work done a day around chores and occassional rides.

This morning I was filling in potholes in the drive. That was nice in the crisp air. This pm it was running errands in town, dry cleaning/some shopping/sports clothes for Jr etc.

Homework with the boys until 4:30. I start preparing tea for the kids around 5pm, with Eddie Mair riding shotgun. Some days I start cooking at 10am and do big batches. This post coming to you live from the kitchen where I’m about to knock up the first G&T of the evening and get dinner going. Have also just lit the furnace and the two stoves so the barn is toastie for when her majesty returns.

leffeboy

Me too, seems to be fairly normal now. Work half days and then home for when children great on from school. Just enough to keep the place ticking over without going crazy. Seems a better trade off than having a bit more money but zero time and leffewife earns enough to make it possible. Still haven’t quite got it sorted yet though

This morning I was filling in potholes in the drive

this is one of the big advantages as otherwise it ends up eating the weekend which is crap

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

For those who are house husbands, how does the other half feel (and vice versa of course) Are they envious? do they do any sort of housework, or is it all up to you?

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘My first day as a house husband!’ is closed to new replies.