Viewing 40 posts - 1,521 through 1,560 (of 6,928 total)
  • My dear old things, it's STW TMS!
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

Option is to go at them hard under lights but they have bowled 70 overs and the quicks are looking a bit slower at this point, bat 1 1/2-2 sessions and rest the bowlers

thegreatape
    Free Member

Cheers, I just went and had a read on Wikipedia of all places, which sets out several reasons.

zokes
    Free Member

Bancroft gone. An edge at last FFS

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep 2 days too late. Bowling looks a lot better this time around.

theotherjonv

I was just discussing with the font of all knowledge cricketing wise (the Indian man that runs the local shop where I get the milk from for work)

He reckons it is a mistake not enforcing the follow on.

For (not enforcing): the bowlers are tired
    The Aussies can bat us out of the game and ensure a draw first and foremost, plus the chance to set attacking fields – then we’re at least 1 down with 3 to play which with perth up next makes us very up against it for levelling the series.

Against – when you have the foot on their throat don’t allow them up
    Psychology, don’t show you’re weak (tired)
    30 overs with a new ball under the lights / dusk; should be perfect for Jimmy; we could just possibly bowl ourselves into some kind of position.
    Weather

I must say i do like the day-night format, with there being other things to consider for a skipper like the impact of the dusk period. The tradionalist says that it’s changing the game that’s basically been the same since the 1800’s, but equally I do see the need to evolve, when you look for example at the crowds at the NZ-WI test (I say crowds – I paused the TV briefly and counted them myself)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Anderson firing a little.

Is there the slightest glimmer of hope?*

*We all know the answer, don’t we?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

41-3

*Saying nothing*

mikewsmith
    Free Member

3 down, what a good start there, going to make some kind of impression on the Aussies there

mikewsmith
    Free Member

and Smith reviews….

mikewsmith
    Free Member

and he is…..
    a lucky boy, nearly didn’t review that going to be a hard few overs here. get rid of these 2 and it’s going to be fun

zokes
    Free Member

It’s definitely a better atmosphere in here now…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

are you flashing your flash up there Zokes? got to get 5 down tonight

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

*Says nothing*

simondbarnes

johndoh
    Free Member

😯

mikewsmith
    Free Member

you beauty

johndoh
    Free Member

Really can’t see us getting anything out of this game still, but at least we should get a bit of pride and confidence back.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

How long will Garry last?

zokes
    Free Member

No flashing from me!

Why is Garry in? There’s forty minutes to go yet!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

7 mins Zokes

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Its the hope that kills you

mikewsmith
    Free Member

that and the physio getting a run out

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So end of day 3, 2 to go and without weather a result is almost certain, as a minimum England will start batting under the lights tomorrow. An earlier start and it could get interesting but that is just the hope and red wine talking. All out for 100? Lead of 315?

zokes
    Free Member

Get em for 350 there’s still a chance. Whilst good, Lyon is not Warne. Two days is plenty time to score 350. Overton and Woakes showed it can be done.

Is this likely? No. But it is possible.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The cider must be good there Zokes 😉

It will make a good afternoon of watching I hope tomorrow while not working enough

zokes
    Free Member

Compared to the 4X it’s positively Moet!

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Is this likely? No but its not impossible

mikewsmith
    Free Member

ERROR

The request could not be satisfied.

dannyh
    Free Member

TBH I’m still struggling with the act of putting Australia in to bat first – although some of the context does mitigate it a bit.

As for the logic of putting the oppo in and then bowling everything halfway down the wicket – I am at a loss.

It’s also odd how Root and Bairstow (and probably Cook too) didn’t have a little word with Broad or Anderson in the first innings. Something along the lines of “You two are supposed to be two of the best fast-medium bowlers in the world on a pitch with any sort of movement, so why don’t you pitch the damned thing on a length where the batsman might consider having to play forwards?”

zokes
    Free Member

TBH I’m still struggling with the act of putting Australia in to bat first – although some of the context does mitigate it a bit.

Had putting them in resulted in their second innings score on D1, we’d all be praising him. Sure, it was risky, but we’ve skittled them out before on more than one occasion; we can do it.

As someone at the ground, the general murmur was positive when he made the decision. Sure – he was badly let down by the bowlers, but that doesn’t make it a bad decision. We bat first and get skittled for our first innings score and everyone would whinge anyway.

cheers_drive

The pattern of home teams always winning a series is getting boring.
    I’m not sure what the solution but it has much more affect on test matches than in 50 or 20 over matches.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Hales free to go.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The pattern of home teams always winning a series is getting boring.
    I’m not sure what the solution

Well it’s interesting as conditions seem to determine how you play, given the national squad basically play a huge amount of their time for the national team it’s hard to get more experience. I’d suggest that the brits spend time down here playing shield games for a season and the aussies in England but they will be in the IPL and playing for their country.

zokes
    Free Member

I’d say England outnumbering the locals 2:1 today in here.

And there was glove on that, noise and slight deviation before his shoulder. Hey ho.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Unfortunately nothing at all on hot spot for that one, these 2 look either stuck or in trouble, need them out of here as Lyon knocks a 4 off the ball after the smack to the grill. Need them all gone before the first break to get a daylight session of batting in there

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Need to get in and among these guys here, bowl as hard as they can, if they don’t get them quick and cheap the game is gone anyway

mikewsmith
    Free Member

6-75…. figures you would expect from the other side at the moment, wonder how long the ball is going to move today

zokes
    Free Member

Ahem. 75/6.

Wash your mouth out. You’ll be saying today is 12/5 next!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

77 now though, whats the feeling out there? Every over looks like it has a wicket in there

spacey

Enticed out of bed,for this, good first hour. Got a sniff of a chance, how long can Jimmy and broad keep bowling, can woakes and overton back them up…

Viewing 40 posts - 1,521 through 1,560 (of 6,928 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.