Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Mudguard for a 29er with a saddle pack
  • benp1

Another mudguard question, I’ve searched and it hasn’t been answered before

Christmas is coming up so thinking about asking for some mudguards

Mucky Nutz fender bender for the front, I think I’m set on that. Looks neat and would stop the mud getting in my face, but I’m not sure about the rear.

My bike is a Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 29er so I need a bigger guard than normal. But I also use the largest Topeak wedge saddle pack available, which has partly been blocking some of the mud (looking at the state of it) but still getting a muddy arse and back. I don’t want to lose this pack so I need a guard that will work with a 29in wheel and a saddle pack most of them would foul the pack, I was thinking something that attaches to the seat stays might work (like the mudhugger) but couldn’t find one that would fit a 29er

I was going to give up, get nothing and just get muddy, but if there’s something available that would work then I’d love you thoughts…!

monkeychild
    Free Member

Crud 29er ones are good (I have recently fitted them).

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’ve recently fitted one of these…

http://www.cyclesolutions.co.uk/p63736/zefal-deflector-29er-co-moulded-composite-rear-mudguard

which is perfect for a full suss 29er with a dropper post which means you can’t fit a crud guard (which are good).

pipiom
    Free Member

None of the above work because the Anthem’s rear triangle is so low……..even a Defender gets hit as the suspension compresses

pipiom
    Free Member

Oops wrong post DOH!!!!

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I think the zefal deflector would work. It has plenty do adjustment in terms of how close to the tyre you want yo run it. It also pivots around the attachments so it can hug the tyre closely if you want it to.

z1ppy

Zefal deflector does look good (copy of my favorite the Decathlon B’twin), from experience I can recommend the Topeak DeFender XC11-29er the clamp hold it rock solid at the bottom of my seat post, just mm’s above the rear tyre.

rOcKeTdOg

I use a mud hugger on my 29er, works fine

singlespeedstu

Any pictures of it ftted RD?

benp1

I’m liking the zefal one, looks like a front runner. No stock in that link though, will have a google

I read in some reviews that the topeak one fouls a big seat pack, my one is pretty big

Would be interested in pics of the mudhugger

Frankers
    Free Member

I have used the Topeak and the new SKS one

The Topeak is very low down so can’t see how it would fowl with a seat pack

Topeak clamps at the bottom of the seapost, the SKS slightly higher

zippykona

I use a mud hugger on my 29er, works fine

Is that on your super light? Show us a picture if it is.

rOcKeTdOg

no, it doesn’t work on the SL, HT only

wobbliscott
    Free Member

This is mine with the Zefal deflector installed. Works a treat and doesn’t foul with anything. Up front i’ve got the SKS shock board 29er. A very effective combo – not aesthetically pleasing particularly, but they’re functional and both can be removed in a minute if the trails are dry.

IMG_0384 by wobbliscott, on Flickr

rOcKeTdOg

as requested

benp1

Thanks for the pic.

I’ll go zefal deflector as 1st choice, mudhugger as 2nd

singlespeedstu

Thanks RD.

They realy do look shit.
    Think i’ll stick with a muddy ass.

rOcKeTdOg

no mudguard looks good sadly, but a dry arse on the commute is preferable

singlespeedstu

I’ll let you off if it’s for commute use. 😉

benp1

Quick update – I ordered the zefal mudguard as it looks like the best one for my needs. Won’t get to actually see it till xmas though!

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’ve now got a few rides on my Zefal, a couple down some pretty bumpy downhills and I I’ve not known it’s been on. No rattles or fouling on the tyre or frame. Does a very effective job of keeping my backside dry. One of the benefits of it is that it can be removed in seconds with an Allen key. At the end of the day, it’s a mudguard so doesn’t do anything for the aesthetics, but I’m too old to give a toss about how I look. I wear my jeans well above the elastic of my underpants and the croch where it should be, and my flowy quiff hairdo is definitely consigned to the early ’80’s and won’t be making a revival any time soon.

Just one note for installation, It comes with the attachment blocks on the inside of the wrap around guard. On my bike this meant I had to bend and flare the arms out wards. So I found it was better if I removed the blocks and refitted them on the other side. It fits like a glove with no bending or faffing. I also used some helitape on the contact points. I’m really pleased with it.

benp1

Thanks, good to know

My next few rides will give me a soggy arse, post Xmas should be laughing. Will still get mud from the front as I’m only getting a mucky nutz, but it’s the back that really cakes me

wobbliscott
    Free Member

My mucky nuts is only good for protecting the fork stanchions, it does nothing to keep crap off me. A crud catcher works well. But the SKS 29er shock board does the biz and keeps stuff that’s flung forward from coming back into your face.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Mudguard for a 29er with a saddle pack’ is closed to new replies.