Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 224 total)
  • MTB Hazards : Dogs
  • McHamish
    Free Member

Although if you’re having a whale of a time leading a dog into a main road you should probably be careful what kind of dog.

A friend of mine when I was younger had a rottweiler that knew that “sic em” meant ‘attack’ – it was a retired guard dog.

I reckon it would be ‘funny as ****’ watching some comedian crap himself as the excited little doggy they’ve just led to a main road turns round and attempts to bite their face off.

“barny, barny barrrnnnieee…sic em”.

IdleJon

glenp – Member
    No accounting for dogs, IdleJon, cos mine has never crapped on the path. She just seemed to know to go where the bears go.

I think it’s maybe crowds he likes, rather than paths.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Comments….

None in particular, but what do you do when you encounter, say, a horse? What about a nervous-looking horse, with a young inexperienced rider on it?

Given that you have an equal right to the bridleway, do you blunder on as fast as you can, and leave the horse and rider to their own devices? Or do you slow down, or even stop, out of consideration for others? (Or because horses are big, with painful-looking hooves.)

All this ‘dogs should be under control’ is nonsense, in practical terms. That’s the letter of the law, no doubt – as TJ knows – but you’re dealing with a living animal. No dog is ever ‘under control’. Neither is any other animal. You find animals outside. If you can’t cope with animals, stay indoors.

The most likely reaction of any dog given the sudden appearance of a mountainbiker is fear and anxiety, moderated to a greater or lesser degree depending upon training and experience. You can ease the situation by slowing down or stopping, and generally learning what to do around dogs. Same as you should know what to do around horses, cattle, humans, cars, etc.

McHamish, don’t go bringing whales in to this. They’re an absolute menace on the trails.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Dorset_Knob – Member

The most likely reaction of any dog given the sudden appearance of a mountainbiker is fear and anxiety, moderated to a greater or lesser degree depending upon training and experience. You can ease the situation by slowing down or stopping, and generally learning what to do around dogs. Same as you should know what to do around horses, cattle, humans, cars, etc.

I am going to have to take issue with that. It is perfectly possible to train a dog to ignore bikes. I see it all the time. A non dog owner has no obligation whatsoever to modify their behaviour. The onus is totally on the dog owner to control their dog. Either by training it properly or by putting it on a lead if they are incapable of training it.

easyrider
    Free Member

Oi Barbara Woodhouse’s!
    How do you think the courts would react to the scenario then:
    A dog chases a cyclist from a cycle track onto a main road (some distance behind of course as it was slow but persisent)
    then gets run over whilst causing a vehicular accident, then the dogs loving human partner decks the cyclist and the car driver.

is this Crufts or STW??

What if the cyclist had a pet swan and the swan broke the dog owners arm before he had a chance to deck the cyclist ?
    How would the courts react to that ?

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

TJ, I’m not talking ‘rights’ or ‘onuses’. I’m just talking about being nice, sort of mucking along with other people.

Depends how you want to live your life I suppose.

(What you say about ‘trained dogs’ seems to suggest a level of ignorance about dog behaviour, by the way – have you done much in the way of dog training yourself, or spent much time with dogs?)

freeridenick
    Free Member

bravo Dorest_Knob. my sentiments exactly.

philconsequence
    Free Member

MTQG makes an excellent point.

question for dog owners, do you think your dogs struggle with the concept of gears? i’ve not noticed anyone with “singlespeed” in the username commenting on being chased by dogs, and the times that i’ve been harrassed by wayward dogs i’ve been on a bike with gears…..

That’s another advantage to riding a Rohloff.
    From a dog’s perspective, they look like a single speed.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

question for dog owners, do you think your dogs struggle with the concept of gears? i’ve not noticed anyone with “singlespeed” in the username commenting on being chased by dogs, and the times that i’ve been harrassed by wayward dogs i’ve been on a bike with gears…..

That actually makes a lot of sense! Singlespeeds are much quieter, with less movement going on at dog-eye level. Since dogs react to movement and noise, it makes sense for them not to be so bothered by / interested in singlespeeds.

DezB
    Free Member

question for dog owners, do you think your dogs struggle with the concept of gears?

My dog struggles with most concepts. Thick as shit, I tell ya.

That would only account for dogs leaving single speeds with sliding drop outs or EBBs alone though.
    Surely an untrained dog could easily mistake a chain tensioner for a derailleur.

phil.w
    Free Member

My dog likes to bark at the sound made by an air shock, so singlespeed and rigid it is.

She’s also not interested in children on bikes I assume it’s because they are too easy to catch.

richc
    Free Member

I am going to have to take issue with that. It is perfectly possible to train a dog to ignore bikes. I see it all the time. A non dog owner has no obligation whatsoever to modify their behaviour. The onus is totally on the dog owner to control their dog. Either by training it properly or by putting it on a lead if they are incapable of training it.

TJ its a living being, hence they are never 100% predicable, so again you are highlighting your ignorance. If you decide to ram objects that are in your way, just because you don’t want to steer the law will not come down on your side.

To draw a comparison, 99.99% of the time you are a pompous arse, who wishes he was Scottish. However 0.01% of the time you are moderately reasonable. Nothing is 100% predictable, even your mindless drivel

DezB
    Free Member

I wonder, is it just STWers that are c0cks on their bikes?
    Cos whenever I’m out with my dog and I’ve met anyone, (whether they are walking or biking and whether I am walking or biking) they have all been perfectly pleasant. Even if the dog has got in their way. Or chased them and sunk her massive teeth in their leg and I’ve laughed and said you should’ve pedalled faster ya numpty that last bit was made up out of boredom

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

lol, true

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Where’s TJ gone? I was hoping for a better argument than this.

IdleJon

Dorset_Knob – Member

Singlespeeds are much quieter, with less movement going on at dog-eye level.

The frantically spinning ankles would be at eye level, I think?

hilldodger
    Free Member

DezB – Member
    I wonder, is it just STWers that are c0cks on their bikes?
    Cos whenever I’m out with my dog and I’ve met anyone, (whether they are walking or biking and whether I am walking or biking) they have all been perfectly pleasant

Whenever I’ve been out on my bike all the people I’ve met, whatever the colour of their socks or breed of accompanying animal they’ve always been perfectly pleasant as well, funny innit – most people in the real world are friendly & sociable and don’t really mind what other people do as long as it doesn’t affect them too much……..

…….either most of the stories told/positions held here are keyboard hardman fantasies, or their may actually be a human subspecies of forum frequenting folk who really are the aforementioned ‘male hens’.

😆

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

The frantically spinning ankles would be at eye level, I think?

Well yes, and tyres, spokes, pedals … etc.

As I’m in argumentative mood, all I said was ‘less movement’ – ie, low-hanging rear mech, jockey wheels, chainslap, etc.

But you’re right to point out that cyclists’ feet go round and round, yes.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Dorset_Knob – Member
    Where’s TJ gone?

Taken the dog for a walk ???

more likely doing teh google dance

IdleJon

Dorset_Knob – Member

But you’re right to point out that cyclists’ feet go round and round, yes.

😀
    5 hours sleep per night gives me the ‘skill’ of stating the obvious. Just leave me to it, I’ll get better.

hilldodger – Member

Whenever I’ve been out on my bike all the people I’ve met, whatever the colour of their socks or breed of accompanying animal they’ve always been perfectly pleasant as well……..

Yep, same for me. I think I’ve had maybe 3 or 4 confrontations in a long time riding. I do talk random nonsense to people though so maybe I just confuse them. Maybe that’s the secret – talking to people rather doing the MTBdeathglare.

Milkie
    Free Member

As a few have said, it’s up to you how you react with dogs, you can ignore them and face the consequences or interact with them to make it easier for yourself, the dog and owner.

Most of the time all it takes is for a cyclist to interact with the dog a few times and then they will be fine. Or you can be grumpy, scoot around the dog and generally get annoyed with dogs and owners.

Being a Mountain Biker and knowing how quickly you can stop, if you did run over my dog I would certainly be taking your details, a photo and billing you expenses (similar incident involving another dog and bill was over £6k). If you stopped just short of the dog, I would certainly be apologetic to the cyclist, as the dog should’ve been under control.

If I was cycling and there was a dog trying to bite me and things, I would be taking a photo, go to local vets and inform the dog warden, as well as trying to speak to the owner without it turning in to a shouting match.

I think this street goes both ways, give and take on both parts.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Hello

did I miss my flaming? I was out doing stuff it the real world

I have not owned a dog – I base my observations on my friends dogs and those I meet when out cycling. My pal has his dog trained immaculately and so do other people. You know – walk to heel, come on command, drop on caommand that sort of thing

. For example the other day along the mixed use urban path near me there was a chap with 7 dogs of various sorts milling around. From a distance away I pinged my bell to let him know I was there. He grabbed one dogs collar, he shouted two words and the rest of the dogs stood absolutely still or lay down while I went past. Well trained dogs.

Or the old collie I see frequently – walks along the side of the path and casts a weary eye on any bike that goes past then ignores it.

If your dog is in the middle of the path yu should call it away. iIf you cannot control your dog then it should be on a lead.

After all – it could be a childs face next time 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

their hearts are bigger and offer more love than a whole packet of peas

Ah that’s not love it’s blind loyalty coming from an instinctive pack mentality.

I once had a ‘puppy’ (aka massive dog of some kind) chase me whilst out in the woods. Bolted from its owners and ran after me very closely. I was only what, 20 ish at the time and had had zero experience with dogs so I rode as fast as I could away from its nipping snarling big teeth. Chased me for quite a while. I was trying to be nice to it and give it smiles and happiness and such.

On the way back home I was accosted by the owner of the now lost in the woods dog who was very angry for ME losing his dog for him, even going so far as to push me in the chest. At this point my mate intervened and offered to help look for the dog. We rode back into the woods for a bit shouting its name then after 15 mins or so buggered off.

If that happened now one of a few alternatives might’ve happened.

1) I’d have had it out with him saying it’s his dog that he needs to control and stop chasing other forest users – if he’s not well trained enough to take into the woods then don’t bloody well do it. I might’ve also have tossed my bike aside and pushed him in the chest and given him a piece of my mind too – possibly.

2) I’d have stopped and placated the dog.

3) I’d have stayed longer to help look for the dog more – but begrudingly since the owner was very rude and agressive.

easyrider
    Free Member

Well said Tandemjerry.
    Yeah I’ve only had trouble once with a dog owner in 22 years or so of MTB.
    Rarely do I get thanked by dog walkers when slowing down to a walking pace but that’s OK I suppose.
    Some just seem to bimble round the place with no awareness of other people : it’s just them and their beloved dog.
    Mainly in town, way less so in the country. Mobile phone obsessed walkers are another hazard!
    Random greetings are the way to go. I like holloring (apologioes for the US slang) a weary ‘ringing my bell’ when on a cycle track or whereever, it seems to work !!

glenp
    Free Member

Rarely do I get thanked by dog walkers when slowing down to a walking pace but that’s OK I suppose.

Of course it’s ok! Why would you need extra thanks?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Joking aside if you lured my dog onto a main road for a laugh, you would be looking for your teeth for quite a while, and screw the consequences

As a few have said, it’s up to you how you react with dogs, you can ignore them and face the consequences or interact with them to make it easier for yourself, the dog and owner.

I imagine phil and his missus might be more amenable to the latter, however that is an assumption, they may well be very European.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I see no reason for rider and dog to interact. If the dog chooses to chase me, then fine. I don’t see that it is my responsibility to modify my behaviour to accommodate the dog or its owner. Now if the dog attacks me when it catches me, then we have a different situation in which I will act to defend my self ‘By any means necessary’ Charlie X

(that’s not a kiss!)

phil.w
    Free Member

Ah that’s not love it’s blind loyalty

You’ve not met my dog then. Her sole purpose seems to be giving out happiness. She’d even force a smile out of TJ 😉

richc
    Free Member

TJ, when you ask your friends with dogs, if they are under control 100% of the time, what do they say?

richc
    Free Member

‘By any means necessary’ Charlie X

Bored of this now, however just incase Charlie missed my earlier post:

Dogs can apply a bite pressure of 320lb enough to penetrate sheet steel)
    Dogs run at speeds from 16 to 31 miles per hour.
    Dogs reflexes are typically three times faster than a humans.

Might be worth considering before you attack a dog.

I would be very careful when pushing any animal into a fight or flight decision, as if it comes up fight you are in deep shit with any medium to large dog.

Mine I think would shit himself and run, however if he felt he couldn’t escape I wouldn’t like be be in front 40Kg of teeth and muscle that has decided that you are too dangerous to turn its back on.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

True but can they handle themselves on the pavement?
    Actually dogs of any size are very bad at having their chest opened. So pulling their front legs apart in a sudden movement is very detrimental to their well being

richc
    Free Member

Actually dogs of any size are very bad at having their chest opened. So pulling their front legs apart in a sudden movement is very detrimental to their well being

LoL, good luck trying that with a dog that’s crushing your arm/throat or attached to your groin, and shaking like crazy.

It might look possible/easy in Hollywood films, however you may find reality a little different…..

Any animal when cornered and scared needs to be treated with caution, look at how many people a year are killed by cows, when somebody spooks them, because they think ‘they are only cows’ or ‘they are in the way’.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

well, obviously you have to practice with little dogs first!

McHamish
    Free Member

Maybe we should arrange a series of challenges against the internet super heroes who intend to kill/ram a dog if it dares to get in the way of the mighty MTB-Heavyweight-Epic-DogNemesis-Battle-Legends.

I vote for CharlieMungus to attempt to kill a American Bandog…a cross between a Mastiff and a American Pitbul.

But before the battle commences…can we agree who gets to have your stuff.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

But before the battle commences…can we agree who gets to have your stuffed American Bandog.

Whoever asks nicely

McHamish
    Free Member

hehe

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 224 total)

The topic ‘MTB Hazards : Dogs’ is closed to new replies.