Viewing 22 posts - 121 through 142 (of 142 total)
  • Most overrated people in music………
  • Woody
    Free Member

Bonnie ‘Prince’ Billy/ Ed Oxley separated at birth?
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxQuH910xc4&feature=related[/video]

PJM1974
    Free Member

Assuming that we can exclude the likes of manufactured bands and the Cowell hype machine by default, I’ve always failed to understand the point of Elton John. Granted, he made a couple of decent songs in the 1970s, but he should have quietly shuffled into obscurity.

Also, as much as it really pains me to type this, I have to agree with the McCartney thing. I give a case in point:

The Beatles
    Wings
    The Mull of Kintyre
    The Frog Chorus

Can you see a trend developing there?

Admiralable
    Free Member

I fail to see how people can say that one band is brilliant but then another band (usually of a different type of music) is overrated.
    I can’t stand N-dubz. I think Daffy (or what ever his name is) is one of the most obnoxious people I’ve ever heard interviewed. But I can see why people would like them. I can’t stand the UK garage scene or the Drum n Bass. My brother though loves Drum N Bass but it all sounds like noise to me. I have everything on my iPhone from Elton John to Suede and The Eagles to Korn. Music is music and its all very personal.

Shirley Bassey said it best.
    “Some people don’t dance, if they don’t know who’s singing,
    why ask your head, it’s your hips that are swinging”

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

separated at birth:

and

samuri
    Free Member

Mods, can you close this thread please. It’s clearly a bunch of computers having a discussion as part of some elaborate Turing test.

How can I tell? Nobody has mentioned Bono yet.

(Although someone did point out Morrissy earlier on which is a step in the right direction)

Admiralable
    Free Member

Bonio is clearly a pretentious muppet and the music is now reflecting that but when U2 started there was some good tunes. The Joshua Tree was just at their peak!

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I know the OP said it but Oasis sprang instantly to mind on reading the thread title. Mediocre pub singer backing band, their mega status of a few years ago is a total mystery to me.

Also people like Duffy/Macey Gray/current ‘authentic’ singer du jour.

BoardinBob

their mega status of a few years ago is a total mystery to me.

Knucklehead’s that read Loaded magazine have a lot to answer for

Junkyard
    Free Member

u2 were always poo they peaked at a very low mediocre level and then disappeared up there own rears …good call Samurai

JY MK3 states claim for having passed test

Woody
    Free Member

How anyone can say “Mediocre pub singer backing band” is beyond me and makes me wonder whether they have actually listened to any of their albums. IMO they have produced some stunningly well crafted and emotive songs, with some of the best production I have heard !

<cue Beetles clone/copy allegations>

ps. Not a Loaded reader 😉

chewkw
    Free Member

All of them except … ABBA & Bee Gees.

🙄

BoardinBob

ps. Not a Loaded reader

Alright, Maxim then

Coasting
    Free Member

Its official u guys no nothing about music otherwise someone would have mentioned THE MOST talentless person EVER Justin Timberlake.

edhornby

I’m surprised no-ones mentioned the Sex Pistols yet – boy band, put together by manager, very self-aware media stunts throughout their career, music that would have otherwise been totally forgotten about

Pete Doherty – utter rubbish

saw Terrorvision live once – my god I have never seen a band so far in talent from the record, I came to the conclusion that all musicians had been depped on the records and that there was a producer out there somewhere with fingers and ears of solid gold

dazzydw
    Free Member

I wish I was an overhyped overrated talentless millionaire.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Jedward ?

BoardinBob

Jedward ?

I don’t think anyone rates Jedward so they don’t count.

Here’s one that’ll get the debate started

The Stone Roses 😆

The mind boggles as to why they are so revered

DezB
    Free Member

She Bangs the Drums is enough for me 🙂

dandelionandmurdoch
    Free Member

Oasis… their mega status of a few years ago is a total mystery to me.

Knucklehead’s that read Loaded magazine have a lot to answer for

Blast! I told myself not get involved with this thread any further but I do need to clarify that whilst Oasis do attract a certain class of fist-dragging, tracksuit-wearing, Loaded/Maxim/FHM-loving missing links, some of their fans are actually in it for their music. And I don’t read that sort of mag, or drive a Saxo! Yes, believe it or not!

I’ll lose all the respect no one has for me when I say this, but Oasis are one of only two, maybe three, bands who have songs that can prick out tears from my eyes.

makes me wonder whether they have actually listened to any of their albums.

Exactly, Woody, exactly.

BoardinBob

I’ll lose all the respect no one has for me when I say this, but Oasis are one of only two, maybe three, bands who have songs that can prick out tears from my eyes.

Oasis regularly reduce me to tears…of laughter

DezB
    Free Member

I bought the first 2 Oasis albums, saw them on an early tour (they were brilliant), but their sound just became boring. For some reason, that voice that had once sounded sexy & original, with the punk spirit became an irritating gurgle to my ears.
    Can still listen to a couple of tracks like Acquiesce and Supersonic, but mainly they just sound boring.
    Anyway, Oasis don’t exist anymore, so what does it matter?

wheelz
    Free Member

Mind you, I’ve yet to hear anything remotely passable from Pete Doherty.

This one’s not bad.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGXkZuq8FA0[/video]

I agree the Sex Pistols were overhyped, but I still love the music.

I’m also a big Cure fan. I wouldn’t say they’re overrated, as they never really had a truly mainstream following.

Viewing 22 posts - 121 through 142 (of 142 total)

The topic ‘Most overrated people in music………’ is closed to new replies.