Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 142 total)
  • Most overrated people in music………
  • Woody
    Free Member

LOL @ GG

<taps foot awaits King Robbie pushed off stage vid>

kevin1911

Sting!!!!

chakaping
    Free Member

It baffles me why the Black Eyed Peas are so huge, but they’re a bit of an easy target.

I’ll tell you who I think are bafflingly overrated: Hot Chip.

They just sound insipid and amateurish to me.

Oh, and I used to think Robbie Williams was overrated, but saw him at Live 8 and had to admit he’s an amazing showman. Made everyone else look like tehy were goign through the motions.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    clubber
    Free Member

God, what is it about people who are self-proclaimed “serious about music” that makes them act like complete muppets when commenting on other people’s tastes. By all means dislike certain music/bands/singers and have no clue what makes them so popular (Morrisey does it for me) but that doesn’t mean that anyone who disagrees lacks your visionary musical understanding.

I mean, seriously?

for people who neither like nor understand music.

just crap and catering for easily-pleased morons.

Are you still fixed in the mental state of a 15 year old trying to prove your cool credentials? 🙄

It’s a bit like the sad niche whores who take their bikes too seriously and think it puts them a cut above others riding, mainstream, boring bikes.

emsz
    Free Member

Black eyed peas fan based are all aged about 12 I think. 🙂

Chris, my housemates loves, and I mean properly loves the Manic Street Preachers, hugely massively overrated dad rock, trouble is it’s not even awful music, they just try so hard, and it comes out soooo bland.

Hate all that R&B, money girls, bling, cars, aftershave/perfume, slick stuff that passes for talent on MTV. Jay Zee, Beyonce, PDiddy.

clubber
    Free Member

Notes that I must be 12 😉 My wife will be suprised

j_me
    Free Member

Franz Ferdinand….truely woeful live. More duff notes than in Frank Abagnale Jnr’s suitcase.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gRRhltdJBE&feature=related[/video]

emsz
    Free Member

LOL, they seem to be very popular with my pervy little brov, and all his mates. Can’t for the life of me think why. 😉

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Personally I think Eminem and Tupac are completely over-rated.

While I appreciate what both of them have done for music and hip hop, as artists I don’t think they’re all that – they are far better hip hop acts out there.

BoardinBob

Kings of Leon
    Coldplay
    The Killers

Basically almost anyone that would headline a UK festival, excluding Glastonbury

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Black eyed peas fan based are all aged about 12 I think.

I like watching the Black Eyed Peas with the volume turned down (well, one member of BEP in particular) – does that count?

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Any rapper that can’t rap. Jay Zed, Puff Doddy, Fiddy Pence, they all just mumble.

It’s as though Public Enemy never existed.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

BOOOOOOOOOOMMM!!

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdz3StIpErw[/video]

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

I’ve always thought the Arctic monkeys are the most overrated band of the last few years.

LoCo
    Free Member

Controversial but, Queen (sorry I’m prob going to get flamed for this one 😳 )

emsz
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoN6XfyQsr4[/video]

About one minute in.

BoardinBob

I like watching the Black Eyed Peas with the volume turned down (well, one member of BEP in particular) – does that count?

It does if you’re into 40+ year old ex crack addicts that have had far too much plastic surgery

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

+1 Queen. Also add to the list
    AC/DC whiny geordie singer, 60 yr old guitarist dressed as a schoolboy, same song about ‘rock’ for the past 35 yrs,
    Iron Maiden- whiny screamy singer, full clutch of rock posing cliches, middle class nice boys singing about the devil.

Torminalis
    Free Member

Pete Doherty

Can’t agree with Queen though, Freddie was one of the great showmen of all time and by god could he could sing.

chakaping
    Free Member

Some great suggestions here, fully agree with Manics (particularly bad!), Queen, Eminem, Arctic Monkeys, Kings of Leon.

Don’t like any “bloke rock” really.

warton
    Free Member

Just a competent bluesy guitarist, of which there are thousands.

hahahaha, what utter rubbish.

and someone mentioned Bruce Springsteen, go and listen to the river and darkness on the edge of town and see if you still feel the same way, or watch his performance at glastonbury from a couple of years ago.

chakaping
    Free Member

It does if you’re into 40+ year old ex crack addicts that have had far too much plastic surgery

It was crystal meth. I was researching it yesterday for work.

unless he meant Will.I.Am of course.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

That’s me to a tee. 😉

(except Fergie’s only 35)

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Clapton is rubbish. Has he ever made a good record after 1966?

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Oh yes – Jay Z.

And Muse.

Don’t *get* either of them.

DezB
    Free Member

That’s a very nicely thought out and layed out post Rusty Spanner, I’m impressed. I also, sort of, agree with your choices.
    However, the question is and has been in the past on a similar thread:
    Overrated by who(m)??

Public? press? critics? STW? Each would have different answers.
    Although Pink Floyd (post Barrett) probably fit into all 4 categories and I can’t stand them, so:

warton
    Free Member

Yes, Cream formed in 67.

that is irrelevant though, the sound of Clapton on a 335 through a marshall stack is pretty incredible. check out Cream Live Live Cream, some of his playing on that is incredible

GlitterGary
    Free Member

I never liked Cream either, they were quite boring, a cut price Hendrix Experience, if you will. Kossoff, Green, Rory Gallagher, Allman, all pee on old Clappers.

franki
    Free Member

Warton wrote:

hahahaha, what utter rubbish.

I think not.
    Feel free to provide evidence to the contrary! 😉

RealMan
    Free Member

The Beatles and Joy Division. Can’t really stand either of them

A lot of Eminems stuff is utter rubbish, but some is really pretty good.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snHfdV3gw9Q[/video]

Garry_Lager

You have to give the Manics credit for at least trying to be a good band. They largely failed, but the effort was there.

Radiohead and My Bloody Valentine are horribly overrated in the US on places like pitchfork (OK Computer and Kid A both voted best albums of their respective decades), which filters over here a little. They’re clearly good bands but they’re a long way from the pantheon.

I think MBV are probably great, actually, I just can’t stand listening to them due to the legion of public school bedwetters they inspired to pick up a guitar and a distortion pedal.

warton
    Free Member

franki, listen to his playing on the cream albums, hardly blues is it?
    listen to his playing on john Mayall and the bluebreakers hardly average is it. listen to the track he did with aretha franklin (ain’t no way), that is not an average guitar player.

2tyred

Best thread ever. Everyone is shit in someone’s eyes and my opinion counts for more than yours. You views may vary, but what do you know? Eh? Ha ha. 🙂

Lifer
    Free Member

Nickleback.

Most modern mainstream ‘metal’ bands, pretty much everything on Scuzz, Kerrang etc.

Judas Priest.

chakaping
    Free Member

Muse and Radiohead – oh yes, I tried to listen to Muse at a festival, bloody awful caterwauling.

MBV – Sacrilege! Burn him! etc.

Did somebody already mention Morrissey/The Smiths?

Kunstler

You know, I try to resist making assumptions about people who confess to liking Oasis but they never seem to want to talk about Brian Eno or Bonnie Prince Billy.

I seem to have wandered into the builder’s tea hut. I’ll just leave you these biscuits and let you cary on.

jon1973
    Free Member

2tyred – Member

just crap and catering for easily-pleased morons.

You utter knob

warton
    Free Member

Kunstler,

I love Oasis, what Bonny Prince Billy album would you like to discuss, or maybe some Low, how about Iron and Wine? maybe some Whiskytown, (Not too clued up on Eno’s solo stuff I’ll admit, but happy to talk about roxy music?)

Junkyard
    Free Member

Oh look at the oasis fans taking after the band and insulting/swearing at everyone who questions them …careful now if you meet them in person you will get some fist pie and some rambling mancuian wailing on about the betales and hoping you die of aids.

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

It all depends what you mean by overrated really. To me, someone that is overrated is where pretty much everything they do is venerated and nothing they do is considered bad. Or, these days I would say it also includes a fanbase for an artists where their talents are exaggerated. Seems to me a lot of modern artists can’t actually sing very well or, in some cases, in tune. If we’re honest, most bands have written at least one song that most people will think is ok – provided they can put aside their prejudices and irrational dislikes for a moment. Mind you, I’ve yet to hear anything remotely passable from Pete Doherty. 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 142 total)

The topic ‘Most overrated people in music………’ is closed to new replies.