Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 142 total)
  • Most overrated people in music………
  • yunki
    Free Member

Cowell.. all the head honchos of the record companies.. all the radio presenters.. the marketing executives and accountants..

why do they bombard us with such utter drivel!?

Music is one of the human races most primal and fundamental functions and should be celebrated and held in the very highest esteem..

Instead it gets raped and sold and diluted and polluted and packaged and enslaved and swallowed and shat out and there’s gonna be nothing left worth loving one day..
    It’s an abso-flippin-lutely disgusting way to carry on..

HANG ‘EM HIGH

stu1972
    Free Member

+1 for Coldplay, tossers.

Gachet
    Free Member

Radiohead and My Bloody Valentine are horribly overrated in the US on places like pitchfork (OK Computer and Kid A both voted best albums of their respective decades), which filters over here a little.

I don’t think Radiohead are overrated by Pitchfork and I agree with their ratings on a number of my other favourite bands including Sonic Youth, Pavement and The Flaming Lips

franki
    Free Member

franki, listen to his playing on the cream albums, hardly blues is it?
    listen to his playing on john Mayall and the bluebreakers hardly average is it. listen to the track he did with aretha franklin (ain’t no way), that is not an average guitar player.

Perhaps I was a little harsh, he’s good, but I’ve never felt he had the genius of Hendrix or Jeff Beck, although many obviously do – hence thinking he’s overrated. I’ve never been awestruck or moved by his music.

Lifer
    Free Member

I’ve never been awestruck or moved by his music.

Not even Tears In Heaven?

*Runs away giggling like a schoolgirl*

warton
    Free Member

fair enough Frankie.
    I was going to talk about my love of the Derek and the Dominos album, but that would of been taking it to far 😀

Gachet
    Free Member

Nickleback.

Most modern mainstream ‘metal’ bands, pretty much everything on Scuzz, Kerrang etc.

I don’t think anyone has ever rated Nickleback highly.

There are actualy some good mainstream ‘metal’ bands such as Staind or 3 Doors Down.

donsimon
    Free Member

Overrated according to who? People have different tastes, end of. I don’t like Springsteen and can’t understand how people can, yet he has a staunch following who buy millions of records, so I guess alot of people like him and his music and wouldn’t consider him overrated.

Pigface
    Free Member

Cant believe no one has mentioned Nirvana apart from Bleach the rest is just awful.

Eric Clapton just lazy and self indulgent, all the talent just a knob.

Stereophonics Word gets around is a stunning snap shot of valley life, a classic, the rest is pretty dull.

Hohum
    Free Member

The Cure – what was all the fuss about?
    The Pogues – I particularly dislike that Christmas song they did with Kirsty MacColl.

BigJohn

John Shuttleworth.

All he does is sing about everyday trivia to nursery-rhyme type tunes interspersed with dodgy effects from his Casio keyboard.

I just don’t get it.

Junkyard
    Free Member

lifer making a joke about the death of his child is in very poor taste

DezB
    Free Member

There’s definitely an echo in here.

DezB
    Free Member

lifer making a joke about the death of his child is in very poor taste

Where has he done that? Bloody hell, you do find offence in the weirdest places!

plumber
    Free Member

I’d like to put something but as DezB seems to have a bit of a downer on me at the moment I’ll refrain

Consider this my training flounce – perhaps to be upgrade in the future

Plum

DaRC_L

this thread lost credibility when someone posted Fatboy Slim I’ve no idea what he does…
    it was called Big Beat Boutique and as a sideline it helped save Brighton&Hove Albion via the Skint Label sponsorship.

DezB
    Free Member

Can’t believe you’ve noticed plum, I am insignificant 🙂

scu98rkr
    Free Member

I think we need to define “over-rated”,

I would suggest this means that at the time they were famous/successful there were other bands/artists playing the same style of music who were obviously better but were ignored by press/charts/public.

Id definitely put Pete Doherty in this camp as there are loads of other whingy strokes sounding bands (including the strokes) who realised better songs than him.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I am/was playing up to it now Dez as a [failed] attempt at self parody [ Mtrmen thread as well ]
    It is clearly not working I shall refrain

grumm
    Free Member

I’d like to put something but as DezB is just generally a miserable fecker

FTFY.

Woody
    Free Member

Yunki

Well said ^^ but there are still some good guys in the smaller labels who try to produce good music. I used to be one (I think) before I lost my shirt trying 😥

BoardinBob

Re. Clapton, have the detractors seen him live?

If so that would add fuel to their opinion. He was my boyhood hero and I played Cream records over and over again until they wore out and I worshipped him.

I saw him live for the first, and only time, back in the early nineties and it’s the worst concert I’ve ever attended.

The blazing, inspirational solos on the recorded versions, were replaced by repetitive, boring pentatonic noodling in every single song he played. They bore no relation to anything he’d actually recorded on the track in question and could easily have been transported between songs with no one actually noticing.

In addition his sole interaction with the audience amounted to an occasional “Thank you” after a few songs.

The man’s a boring, old, has-been that should’ve knocked it on the head years ago.

DezB
    Free Member

Sorry JY!. you missed the smiley off 🙂

Hang on! Me? Miserable? surelysomemistake?

scottidog
    Free Member

black eyed peas actually used to knock out some really good hip hop a long time ago. It was when that hag fergie came along that things went bad.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Tom Waits

2tyred

The man’s a boring, old, has-been that should’ve knocked it on the head years ago.

You need to apply the Creative Peak Rule, Bob.

I first formed this for myself after seeing Public Enemy – not for the first time – after they had passed their creative peak (which was about 1990 IMO) and feeling massively short-changed as a result.

The CPR holds that it is pretty much never worth going to see or investing any kind of hope in a band once they have passed their peak in the studio. From that point on, they’re either vainly trying to recapture something that was fleeting to begin with, or they’re simply trading on past glories to prolong a career.

In the old days, records were bought by kids. When bands passed their peak, the kids largely went off them and there was nobody left to buy their records, ergo end of career. Now, the record-buying (for want of a more accurate term) public is made up of a far bigger age range and this, coupled with fact that most people find wider choice slightly bewildering as they get older, means that a band may have a customer base (for want of a more pleasant term) for far longer, ergo career can go on for ages. Also, older people have more money. Look at the Eagles – my mum went to see them play at Hampden last year and I nearly fell over when she told me the tickets were 80 quid each! To see the Eagles in a big stadium in 2010! When that’s on offer, its no surprise that ageing musicians (such as Clapton) whose creative peak was anything up to HALF A CENTURY AGO refuse to give it up. As long as someone’ll pay for it, they’ll keep doing it.

Its this kind of thing that makes my skin crawl – look at this tour Primal Scream are doing to play Screamadelica in its entirety. Jesus wept. I love that record, it has an important place in my record buying history, but it was clearly Primal Scream’s creative peak so for them to tour it now is at best an exercise in cringeworthy nostalgia that will see some gruesome sights and at worst a cynical plan to pay off a tax bill or something.

Now I’m old, the bands I truly loved (as a callow youth, when you truly love bands) are also old and have either died, split up or are trying to prolong their careers like this. The Creative Peak Rule saves me the heartache of seeing how low some are prepared to stoop and the painful truth that just because you were once great doesn’t mean you always will be.

(All IMO, of course!)

chakaping
    Free Member

The Strokes were massively overrated too IMO.

🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

it was clearly Primal Scream’s creative peak

Andrew Weatherall’s creative peak more like.

😉

EDIT: Unfair, because Weatherall has still got it.

Stuey01
    Free Member

Kings of Leon
    Coldplay
    The Killers

Basically almost anyone that would headline a UK festival, excluding Glastonbury

FYI – Coldplay to headline 2011 Glastonbury. 😉

http://www.efestivals.co.uk/news/11/110208c.shtml

Lifer
    Free Member

black eyed peas actually used to knock out some really good hip hop a long time ago. It was when that hag fergie came along that things went bad.

Like Fleetwood Mac and Stevie Nicks

racefaceec90

personally i would say everyone who has ever made music from the beginning of time onwards.that should just about cover it 😉

yunki
    Free Member

Its this kind of thing that makes my skin crawl – look at this tour Primal Scream are doing to play Screamadelica in its entirety. Jesus wept. I love that record, it has an important place in my record buying history, but it was clearly Primal Scream’s creative peak so for them to tour it now is at best an exercise in cringeworthy nostalgia that will see some gruesome sights and at worst a cynical plan to pay off a tax bill or something.

also unfair.. because the audience are largely going to be so flippin mullered and happy to be amongst such a large crowd of like-minded people that the music quality will be largely irrelevant.. as long as the sound quality is good.. and the quality of the drugs is good it’s gonna be a good party on every date..

you can’t really compare Screamadelica to any of the trite that Clapton churned out either..
    can you?

Gachet
    Free Member

I wouldn’t say Screamadelica was their creative peak as I think Vanishing Point is their finest album. If they can sell out a tour playing an old album fair play to them, quite a few people going to watch probably didn’t get into them until well after the album originally came out and it’s great that they get the opportunity to hear it played live.

dandelionandmurdoch
    Free Member

I was dragged to endless Clapton concerts by my parents in my youth. Staying awake as a child whilst listening to rather dull music was… tricky. I ‘remember’ one concert that was devoted to his very bluesiest of blues that actually had me wishing for unconciousness. I put it down to inexperience and a few months ago actually made an effort to listen to all the Clapton my folks love.

Turns out it’s rubbish.

(Have I been judged yet…?)

If not, let’s see how this attempt at defence goes down: my favourite band of all time is Oasis. I’ve no doubt that opinionated keyboard warriors across the country are currently thinking variations on ‘moron’, ‘prick’, ‘uneducated fool’, ‘deluded monkey’, etc. but I stand by my love for their music. I’ll concede that behaviour has not always been, er, exemplary, but the attitude is often crucial to the delivery, and live shows have always been truly magical experiences.

I really hope this thread dies ASAP. It’s utterly pointless and simply fuelled, not by jealousy, obviously, but by those people who see something distateful to them become popular and hate the fact. I’m not going to blame them, it happens to be too, but this sort of subjectiveness is never useful.

BoardinBob

Anyone that Jo Whiley “champions”*

*”Champions” equates to sycophantic arse-licking and general parasitic behaviour in an attempt to convince everyone that she’s not a tired, cretinous old hoor bag and she’s still down with “the kids”

Woody
    Free Member

Interesting BoardinBob

Much the same charge that could have been levelled at the late lamented John Peel!

BoardinBob

You’ve mentioned John Peel and Jo Whiley in the same sentence 😕

Peel never bowed to trends or fashion. A terrible comparison

Garry_Lager

I love Oasis, what Bonny Prince Billy album would you like to discuss, or maybe some Low, how about Iron and Wine? maybe some Whiskytown, (Not too clued up on Eno’s solo stuff I’ll admit, but happy to talk about roxy music?)

The Bonnie Prince is straying into over-rated territory these days. 3 or 4 patchy albums on the spin now, IMHO.

The bloke’s too prolific – it would be good to see him slow down and instead of knocking out a quite good album every year, put out a great one every 3.

ianv
    Free Member

Personally I think kraftwerk are overrated, I love electronic music but their contribution is overplayed IMO (other than the sample for planet rock).

Also, DJ magazine has just voted Tiesto the world best dj ever. Come on!

misterfrostie
    Free Member

What a 7wat:

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 142 total)

The topic ‘Most overrated people in music………’ is closed to new replies.