Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 142 total)
  • Most overrated people in music………
  • RustySpanner

Eric Clapton:

Personality-free, celebrity alcoholic, humourless Nazi.
    Made one decent album with John Mayall in 1966, thus rendering 1959 Gibson Les Pauls’ unaffordable for an entire generation.
    Only other claim to fame is running away with best mate George Harrison’s wife – what a guy.

Metallica:

Spoilt – brat American mega-plagarists: Entire career built on one idea stolen from British band Diamond Head.
    Unfortunate habit of losing bass players.
    Ruined only original moment by turning new bass players’ instrument down in the mix because of toddler like petty jealousy.
    Ego maniac tendencies and a lack of perspective turned them into a real life Spinal Tap, but without the humour.

Oasis:

Third rate talent free illiterate Beatles ‘tribute’ band.
    I’ve heard better at school talent shows.
    The Stone Roses for people who neither like nor understand music.
    Humourless, subhuman whinging of singer and guitar player made an entire generation ashamed to be Mancunian.
    Thicker than pig excrement.
    Aspired to mediocrity and failed.
    Will be completely forgotten in 10 years time.

Mark Ronson:

Parents ‘in the business’.
    Failed musician uses contacts to make every record he ruins sound exactly the same.
    Will stand as the Conservative candidate for somewhere very safe in 20 years time.
    The Pete Waterman of the Naughties.

Anyway, enough of my yakkin’.
    Over to you…… 🙂

t_i_m
    Free Member

James Blake – pub singer does dubstep with a heavy influence of Cher’s Do You Believe electronic wobbly voice thing

ononeorange

+1 for Eric Clapton. Oh who told him that he should try singing?!

There’s a lot of third level dross that would fit this description that inexplicably gets played, but for me the following:

James Blunt
    Fatboy Slim (I’ve actually no idea what he does)
    Stevie Wonder

Obviously this is a very subjective question so guaranteed to cause a huge amount of disagreement and ultimately handbag throwing!

Pieface

p diddy

Woody
    Free Member

Shouldn’t this thread really be called – “Musicians I am really jealous of because they are successful and have more talent than me”?

Let’s see how many women are named and who’s going to be the first with Robbie Williams 🙄

Harry_the_Spider

For “Tiny Dancer” if nothing else.

Hatefull.

ononeorange

Oh and I forgot that grizzled shouty bloke from Sheffield – Joe Cocker.

partypants
    Free Member

Stereophonics. The singer sounds like an annoying Rod Stewart (who is already annoying).

Edit: And yes, Robbie Williams. What a talentless tool.

Woody
    Free Member

Robbie Williams. What a talentless tool.

……or the greatest entertainer of a generation…………………… 😉

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxn1MSCi0DI[/video]

Hohum
    Free Member

Cheryl Cole

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GS-itkO9ia8[/video]

RustySpanner

Woody – Member

Shouldn’t this thread really be called – “Musicians I am really jealous of because they are successful and have more talent than me”?

Let’s see how many women are named and who’s going to be the first with Robbie Williams

Not really, it was an honest post and I’m really interested in what other people think. And yes, I KNOW that taste in music is subjective.

An before anyone starts, my opinion is only that and just as (in)valid as anyone else’s. 🙂

retro83
    Free Member

bullheart
    Free Member

Coldplay – Insipid horse-shit music that punches well below the weight of mediocrity it stands for. I have a sense of humour and applaud the underdog but quite frankly, listening to anything by them makes me want to kick the face off of a baby seal. With slippers. Forever.

Lifer
    Free Member

@ Triple O

Joe Cocker may have some utter tripe in his catalogue but this is an amazing performance:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpp-XLuS0Y4[/video]

TheFlyingOx

Prince.
    Every song he’s ever done just sounds “empty” to me.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Who do you really not like…that a lot of other people like?

bigyinn
    Free Member

Anyone who is / was in a boy / girl band. Completely without soul, passion or creativity. Marketeer manufactured music to a formula so bland, if it was a colour it would be beige.

Hohum
    Free Member

Elvis Presley – I guess he was a decent singer, but I just can not understand all of the hype around him 😕

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Who do you really not like…that a lot of other people like?

Simply Red

2tyred

Too many of these people ^^^ (Oasis, Stereophonics, Robbie Williams) may be commercially successful but have no critical clout, so I wouldn’t say they’re overrated as such, just crap and catering for easily-pleased morons.

For me, its Beck. I don’t dislike his music, but I have never understood the unassailable deity-like status he seems to have among the music press. I have never read a bad review of anything he’s ever done, its like he’s some sort of sacred cow.

jj55

Sting!

lunge

Anyone who is / was in a boy / girl band

Except Take That/Gary barlow. I don’t care what anyone says, they/he write great pop songs.

lunge

White Stripes, sorry, I just don’t “get” them.

Doves, see above, plus they were a appaulling live when I saw them.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Mozart

taka
    Free Member

Michael Jackson I don’t think he’s all everyone makes him out to be

Junkyard
    Free Member

heresy TSY absolute Heresy can I say Wagner – yeah both of them

wheelz
    Free Member

Bruce Springsteen. Never understood why he’s referred to as ‘The Boss’.

Phil Collins, but only because every restaurant I go into in Belgium seems to have his greatest hits on loop!

Spandau Ballet. I don’t really know why, I just hate their music with a passion! Maybe I was jealous of Tony Hadley in my youth!

Woody
    Free Member

my opinion is only that and just as (in)valid as anyone else’s.

In that case I’ll offer Phil Collins, Jay-z, another vote for Mark Ronson, Lou Reed and virtually every ‘country’ musician.

Edit: nearly forgot ABBA

binners

2tyred – re: the Beck thing. Buy The Information and have a good listen. A lot better than the early stuff.

I never got Blur myself. Song 2 is the only decent thing they ever did. And when there was the big hoo-ha with Oasis it did seem like two bald blokes fighting over a comb. I’m more mediocre than you. No! I’m more mediocre than you. etc etc

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

What about Beethoven then junky? He was deaf… just fluked some good tunes IMO.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

just crap and catering for easily-pleased morons.

And there we have it, the first mahoosive over-generalising insult to the musical taste of millions. I think Oasis actually had one or two fantastic songs. Y’know, they ain’t JLS, but early on they put out a few decent tracks. Easily pleased morons my arse.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

I hate the argument that people only slate musicians because they are jealous of their ‘talent’. People who use this argument are just jealous of others abilities to use their opinion to slate someone who is rubbish.

On that note, can someone put up the video of Robbie ‘Fat Dancer from Take That’ Williams getting pushed off stage?
    🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

Yes very lucky iirc he was just in the right place at the right time and his manager and the PR was much more improtant than his actual talent. He just took other peoples music and wiggled his hips a bit and sold it due to the hype. Like an 18th Century Elvis

I mean it about Elvis white man singing black people’s songs to a a racist audience.

Dont you dare mention Bach or I will proper flounce

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

heresay TSY absolute Heresay

TBH Junky, you lost all credibility by daring to mention this lot.

HereSay = Awesome!!!

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hngBLM5V5Vk[/video]

grumm
    Free Member

Bob Dylan. Wrote some good lyrics but a truly awful singer (and as for that bloody harmonica!)

franki
    Free Member

I’ve got to agree with Eric Clapton.
    Just a competent bluesy guitarist, of which there are thousands.
    Don’t understand the fuss about him at all. Good – yes, God – ‘fraid not!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The Beatles.

naedeyw
    Free Member

The Stones, The Who, Led Zepelin, Hendrix, Floyd, any of the drug-fuelled bands of the late sixties/early seventies that are adulated by middle-aged ex wannabe hippies and whose musicianship can only be attributed to a massive acid trip.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Damn Pwned 😳

Laughs at the poster above

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 142 total)

The topic ‘Most overrated people in music………’ is closed to new replies.