Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Modern Day Equivalent of the briefcase……
  • harrytoo
    Free Member

So what is the modern day equivalent of a briefcase??

Need to cart around a couple of small files, loose reports, etc, etc. Only to get from the car to the office, but needs to be something tidier than the elastic band I currently wrap around what I need to carry.

What do people suggest….

5thElefant
    Free Member

Ipad. Or if you’re feeling retro a laptop.

pirahna
    Free Member

A carrier bag. Use a Waitrose one to impress your colleagues.

Drac

racefaceec90

Slogo
    Free Member

other shops available.

I use these for reports and loose papers.

Or if its an interview or meeting i use a leather report folder.

harrytoo
    Free Member

I’m off to Mumsnet, might get some sense over there!

Drac

I’m off to Mumsnet, might get some sense over there!

Be careful a Briefcase may have a whole different meaning on there.

slowoldman

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

Deutschsland deutschland uber alles
    Piss off your ukip supporting colleagues

thomthumb
    Free Member

Way to many guys wearing a backpack and suit round these parts.

AD

On a more serious note 🙂 I now use an Osprey Flap Jack. It works on a bike and doesn’t look that out of place in a meeting (if that kind of thing bothers you).

molgrips
    Free Member

North Face messenger, in small.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

For carrying laptop etc – Timbuk 2 in plain black
    When it’s just a tablet and papers – Zip up, A4+ folder type things. My fave is an old Scott one from way back in the day! 🙂

mefty
    Free Member

A briefcase?

CountZero

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mens-Vintage-Canvas-Leather-Satchel-School-Military-Shoulder-Bag-Messenger-Bag-/111231830446
    I’m currently using a green canvas bag with ‘Evening Post’ in faded stencil on the flap, it’s a classic newspaper delivery bag that I used to use when I sold papers on the gate at Westinghouse after school. It then got used for carrying my stuff to college when I was doing my Design for Print course and to work.
    Stops me carrying to much crap around.
    That satchel looks good for the money, might invest in one myself as a camera bag.

jamj1974

I use something like this.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The messenger bag is my normal choice but I have been swapping for the rucksack as I’ve been carrying too much and the single shoulder strap is no good for weight.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I think it’s a “briefcase”. Quite a “modern” one here

satchm00
    Free Member

Need to cart around a couple of small files, loose reports, etc, etc. Only to get from the car to the office, but needs to be something tidier than the elastic band I currently wrap around what I need to carry.

Pop to W H Smith and get a leather document holder?

http://www.whsmith.co.uk/products/whsmith-a4-black-zipped-ringbinder-folio/30049154

Squidlord
    Free Member

jamj1974 +1
    I have something similar. Smart enough for work, informal enough to use as an overnight bag at the weekend.
    Also, leather ages nicely,.

Harry_the_Spider

I have an Osprey Flap Jack courier bag.

After 3 years there isn’t a mark on it whereas the laptop bag that travels everywhere with it is a right tatty mess.

aP
    Free Member
    mogrim

Way to many guys wearing a backpack and suit round these parts.

Thing is, if work makes you wear a suit, and you don’t want to screw your back – a backpack it is. Or one of those silly trolley things.

globalti
    Free Member

I use a Picard document folder for going to meetings where I’m not carrying a laptop, although it will accommodate a thin laptop:

A briefcase is the version of that with a carrying handle and a better closure.

An attaché case is a fatter, sometimes rigid case (Samsonite, Delsey etc.) that will carry a laptop and your sandwich and Thermos.

Then there’s the business rucsac, which is currently quite fashionable.

jaymoid

The correct thread title was of course “Manbagtrackworld”.

Hmm modern day…. I think you’ll need some kind of messenger bag, probably with some hashtags on it, spelled out in diamonds, like #SWAGOVERLOAD or #WELLPENG (I don’t know what these mean). If you want the files to be kept uncrumpled you’ll need a folder with Kanye on (or whoever the biggest **** is on the day of purchase).

momo

Another Osprey flap jack owner here, had mine for 7 months, looks brand new still, probably overkill for your needs though.

footflaps

Mine is this

maccruiskeen

maccruiskeen

An a more helpful note – something about the right size, a bit more more-world-like and suitable for a cyclist aboot the toon

a carradice mussette

Very simple but nicely made, waterproof and smart looking in black

crankboy
    Free Member

I have leather document folder for lose forms notes etc ( was originally a welcome pack for a time share deal .) A nylon brief case ( purchased at the airport when I felt self conscious about turning up at the officers mess with my case papers in two carrier bags. ) and the ubiquitous black trolley bag as used by little old ladies and cabin crew ( because a grip bag full of paper really hurts your back.)
    A standard black nylon brief case really covers most bases .
    Those who actually need a “brief” case actually use purple silk pump bags with embroidery initials, unless they are really special in which case it’s ref

benp1

Timbuk2 messenger bag for me

But I often have laptop etc in it too

ads-b
    Free Member

I got one of these made up. Kind of pricey and a long wait. But love the idea of something made bespoke for me by a man in his shed in Devon.
    Henry Tomkins

BillOddie

Timbuk2/Crumpler, size dependant on how many sandwiches you’re carrying.

I have a Dell Laptop rucksac thing work gave me but it’s horrid and nowhere near niche enough. 😉

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Modern Day Equivalent of the briefcase……’ is closed to new replies.