Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • long rides with a dog
  • Ringo
    Free Member

I’m planning on doing a few multi day rides this year and idealy want to take my dog. Does anyone else do this? I will need a trailer of some kind able to go off road to put the dog in when tired. Was looking at the obvious like a Bob trailer but just don’t know if this is a good idea or not.

Merchant-Banker
    Free Member

I dont know what dog you have, but i used to take my border collie/ lurcher out with me and they would cover 45 miles in a day no problem, my dad reckons that the collies on the farm, will cover 60 miles on a summers day,and once back home, and fed, would quite readily go back out for a walk.

djflexure

Our spaniel poodle x would do 30 miles a day.

I have noticed that he gets more tired now. Probably because we don’t ride with him as much as we used to.

I think farm dogs might be accustomed to the miles. Don’t think you couldn’t ask a dog that just walked a couple miles each day to suddenly up their game – bit like us really.

If you are relying on covering a certain distance each day then I would err on the side of having a contingency plan if your dog gets tired. Don’t want to run them into the ground.

Ringo
    Free Member

I have a vizsla but shell be too young to cover large distances, so I really need a trailer for a year or so

freeridenick
    Free Member

my huntaway would not stay in a trailer!!!

djflexure

Tbh if it’s a young dog why not leave it at home
    You’ll have plenty of opportunity for long rides in the future and a vizsla should be well up to the job once matured

AlasdairMc

A Vizsla up to a year old should be getting around five minutes of exercise twice a day per month of their age. Otherwise you may risk joint problems. After that, game on!

Mine is 16 months and she’ll run for hours. Ten hour hill days are easy for her.

andyl
    Free Member

+1 for just leaving it t home until old enough.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘long rides with a dog’ is closed to new replies.