Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Left-hand drivetrain bikes – do they exist?
  • medoramas
    Free Member

Being busy at work… 🙄

Is there any physical/mechanical reason why there is no bikes with left-hand side drivetrains?

Forgetting the aspect of the need for reversed derailleurs.

Stevet1
    Free Member

You can get left hand drive BMX components for people who prefer to grind on the right, although it’s less of a thing now that chainrings are so tiny.

keir
    Free Member

you can get LHD BMXes (it’s got something to do with which side the rider prefers to grind on) and the USA team rode LHD track bikes at the last Olympics (this one was because they always go the same way round the track and wind tunnel testing showed an aero benefit)

shermer75
    Free Member

The US track cycling team had them at the Rio Olympics, apparently for an aero avantage. they didn’t win anything lol

kerley
    Free Member

Left hand drive BMX are about and I suppose I could left hand drive my fixed gear as I use a fixed cassette type hub rather than screw on.

nickjb
    Free Member

One of the few places the bike industry has managed to stick to a standard. There’s a few left handed fixies out there but that is just people being different for the sake of it.

Why are they only single sided?

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/bichain-fixed-free.html

Duffer
    Free Member

Has anyone mentioned BMXs yet?

ads678

I think you can some left hand drive BMX’s for grinding the other way or summink….

uselesshippy
    Free Member

“has anyone mentioned bmxs yet”
    Yes, three times 🙂
    edit, four 🙂

avdave2

people who prefer to grind on the right

I’d always thought that the more common practise but I guess these aren’t questions one asks in polite company.

frood
    Free Member

A lot of tandems have a left hand timing chain, but the main drive is always on the right

tomhoward

GT IT1

CraigW
    Free Member

If you put the cranks on the wrong sides, your pedals would unscrew as your ride along.

mick_r

Check the first two seconds of the current Carlsberg TV add (belt drive Danish town bike). Conveniently it swaps back to normal for the rest of the ad – almost as if they’d forgot to film everything with him cycling right to left and just reversed the images for continuity….

mickmcd
    Free Member

[/url]LH-drive-disc1 by bicycle manufacturing, on Flickr[/img]

docgeoffyjones

Is there any physical/mechanical reason why there is no bikes with left-hand side drivetrains?

The handings of some of the threads would need switching so you would need special left hand bb and pedals.

Also you would have to tuck your other trouser leg into your sock we might be be a assive social faux pas

a11y

^^^ chain oil and disc rotor, ah that match made in heaven surely?

tthew

I could left hand drive my fixed gear as I use a fixed cassette type hub rather than screw on.

Slight thread hijack, but would be interested in what sort of hub that is Kerley.

I believe you can get left hand BMX drivetrains to let you grind on the right. Surprised no one has mentioned it.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

BMXs!!!1!!11!!1

Also the Look R96 track bike is available LHD

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Left-hand drivetrain bikes – do they exist?’ is closed to new replies.