Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • knee pads?
  • bruneep

Before I hit the button of gform pads any other pads to consider?

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Dianese Trail Skins?

Don’t have them (yet) but they look good.

Nice & low profile, supposed to be very comfortable.

jamj1974

I like my POC VPD2’s

Gordymac
    Free Member

7Protection

Looks like a lot of thought has been put into them and they are getting good reviews.
    I’m about to order a set of Covert pads.

stevied
    Free Member

Dainese trail skins here. For general riding they are perfect. Fit nicely, don’t move when pedaling.

poah
    Free Member

G-forms are not CE rated

dknwhy

I’m in a similar boat myself – looking to get some for my summer Alps trip. I was steering towards Fox Launch Pro but i’m undecided.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Just bought some Launch Pros to replace my 661 Straits (worn out but excellent) and Scott Rockets (would survive a rocket assault and easy to pedal in, but unfortunately rubbed a little on a ridge of skin inside my knee, hence replacing).

Initial try-ons are very positive. Will be riding in this weekend.

Intrigued by the Trail Skins for summer / less jeygnarcore use.

superfli
    Free Member

My launch pro have been great. Starting to show some wear now, but they are 3 years old. I didnt realise you could still get them, my next pair will be same again I think

asbrooks

+1 for trail skins.
    Until last year (after 15 years of riding)I’d never used knee pads. I had a big off, luckily not too much damage. Looked worst than it was.
    I bought some trail skins after asking on here. They fit my knees pretty well and have been used in anger, so to speak.
    The only problem I have with them, I feel invincible and tend to push myself a little harder. Now I either need a skill upgrade or more padding.

Tracey

We are all using G Form pads, bought them after demoing some in the Alps last year. Worked well for us pity they don’t fit the bike as they saved my knees but not the frame. Bought them direct as they had a deal on arms knees and shins. Also got a voucher code for a further discount so may be worth googling for one.

We used this one G-OFLY12

With this offer for all three

http://www.g-formuk.com/products/knee-elbow-shin-pads-set.html

excitable1
    Free Member

I’ve tried a few looking for a tough pad that can survive a fall but still be comfortable to ride on all day in.

The Endura MT500 pads rubbed my skin off to the bone, the O’Neal Sinner pads fell apart…. finally settled on the ION K-pact and I’ve no complaints at all. I can wear them all day, easy to clean, survived a big rocky fall, they don’t smell cus they’ve got something fancy built into the fabric and you can mould them to the shape of your knee. Perfect.

They’ve just released a new version in a grey sleeve which look quite good if you want to stay on the G-form type route.

poah
    Free Member

the trail skins also have padding at the sides

Dogsby

I have a pair of Troy Lee 5400s and they are really comfy and not uber expensive. You really forget you are wearing them and I have had no issues with rubbing. I did plenty of research before buying and they were the best out there. Thoroughly recommended.

Dogsby

doom_mountain

Another vote for the Troy Lee 5400 here.
    They are super light/minimal but still have a hard cup over the knee, so offer loads of protection.
    Very different to the new breed of soft ‘leg warmer’ type pads but not much heavier.
    Previously I had 661 Evo’s which were offered great protection but were heavy and sweaty.
    If you get the Troy Lees, go down a size or two, I ended up in an XS, I was a Med in the 661 😕

Fat-boy-fat

Race Face Ambush for me. Comfy, you can take them on and off with your shoes on and they’re d3o tastic.

Del

661 something. the update to the kyle straits. cheap, last, well padded.
    if you’re tempted by d30 note that you’re not supposed to wash the stuff ( this is in d30’s care instruction pdf from their website )

skydragon
    Free Member

I like my POC VPD2’s

+1 they are brill and very comfortable

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

G-Forms are v comfy and quite effective on impact but not durable, the thin lycra sock tears easily as does the stitching (esp if you ride with flatties). They are also prone to slipping/rotating.

CRC and Start Cycles have last years 661 D3O Evos for 39.99. In a similar recent thread on “all day comfortable” pads the Dainese Trail Skins seemed to get a huge consensus; they’ve had a well established rep in motorcycling, and had I known about the Trail Skins I’d have probably bought them over the 661s to replace my tatty G-Forms (all my m/cycle kit is Dainese and I used to have a full stormtrooper hard armour suit for Alpine trips).

crush83
    Free Member

I like my POC VPD2’s

+1 they are brill and very comfortable

+1 again very comfy can pedal all day in them.

dvowles82
    Free Member

I love my Endura MT500 knee pads. Comfortable, durable and decent protection. Never had an issue with comfort.

chiefgrooveguru

It’s hugely dependent on how they fit you – I tried 7 pairs before settling on Fox Launch Pro which I wear for everything.

carlphillips
    Free Member

Dainese oaks on half price on sport pursuit…

ricky1
    Free Member

Race face Indy for me,great pads,don’t know I’m wearing them,really good fit.

rhayter

I put off buying knee pads for years as I was worried about being very conscious of them while riding. Now I have the Troy Lee 5400 I really don’t know what I was worried about. They are just brilliant. They don’t move, they’re not too hot (not a problem at the moment, eh?) and once they’re on, I quite literally forget I’m wearing them.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

if you’re tempted by d30 note that you’re not supposed to wash the stuff ( this is in d30’s care instruction pdf from their website )

If you ride in flinty areas I’d consider avoiding D30, full stop. While it’s great at hardening up in a blunt impact, I’m not convinced it’ll work as well as a hard shell when confronted by a razor-sharp rock.

It’s hugely dependent on how they fit you – I tried 7 pairs before settling on Fox Launch Pro which I wear for everything.

True dat. My knees do not get on with Troy Lees, yet others love them. 661 Straits seemed to fit a lot of people, but there’s undoubtedly ney-sayers out there. My Scotts were brilliant – if a little sweaty – and I’m genuinely disappointed that the minor rubbing point in they hasn’t softened in time (or the rub point hasn’t toughened up). Still, c’est la vie.

For the record, the Foxs seemed great on my knees – the only minor issue was a little irritation on one leg caused by an additional silicone gripper underneath the open section on the rear, which I expect to soften/wear very quickly. Looking at some Trail Skins for the summer now.

Northwind

Fit is most important… I really like my 661 Rages, they’re all day comfy for me (like, soloing a 7 hour race comfy). Bulky, sure, but that means they can be soft and flexible and you get really good overall coverage. (though, the wide open knee is an improvement on teh kyle straits in most ways but sometimes it opens up and dirt gets in and rubs!) The argument for low profile knee pads is always pretty flaky imo, bulk isn’t a big disadvantage.

Do like my gform elbows though for wearing under stuff.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘knee pads?’ is closed to new replies.