Viewing 40 posts - 19,401 through 19,440 (of 21,377 total)
  • Jeremy Corbyn
  • kelvin

I also don’t think “we don’t trust you to get the answer “right” twice” would be a good campaign platform.

For the Conservative Brexit Party?
    Seems to be working out just fine.

They’ll never be a majority for this in the commons… but holding an election and referendum AT THE SAME TIME would make so much sense, and might be the only way to get a long extension out of an exasperated EU. We could well need that… it’s going to be messy here politically for a good while yet…

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Parliament would force him to stay as PM and would support him in a confidence vote? Including Tories and those who left the Labour Party while he was leader?

Pretty much yes.

To remove him would need Labour backing.

If the various opinions are to be believed there are a lot of people in the house who’ll be out of a job in leave areas when they block brexit. They’re both sides of the house.

Tory rebels who voted down their own government can expect a massive kicking at a GE if it follows swiftly on the heels of a VonC unless they’re confident their anti no deal stance makes up the numbers for them.

The rest of the tory party will have no leader, BJ can’t really stay, they don’t want a GE with no leader and their third leadership contest in as many years, their second in 3 months.

Who is genuinely wanting rid of that temporary leader? (this is another reason it has to be JC if it’s anyone from the commons in Labour, there’s a good chance this is 30months at the helm not 5 weeks)

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

For the Conservative Brexit Party?
    Seems to be working out just fine.

One thing to say you can’t have a referendum quite another to say you can’t have the referendum that’s now scheduled, very different indeed to push that second line when they’re going to the voters at the same time.

Also being forced into a 2nd ref actually digs them out of a big hole (which is I think the main reason JC won’t do it before an election, as I say I don’t think he’s a fool, and “well its been planned so we have to give it you now” would play very well for the tories.) the result comes back leave still, all the ammo they need, comes back remain they can be the listening party and maybe scoot the ERG out the door at the same time.

dazh

This thread has descended into a ridiculous amount of whataboutery. It also demonstrates that the only viable solutions are simple ones. To my mind there are only two to stop brexit, legislate against or remove Johnson. If the first fails, the second will be necessary, then we’ll see who out of the tories and libdems are serious about stopping no deal.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

If the first fails, the second will be necessary, then we’ll see who out of the tories and libdems are serious about stopping no deal.

The first has failed without the second. There is no way for the legislation to be put forward without government proposal. There is a single bill due before Parliament in the requisite time frame (eg early September) and its past its amendable stage. (animal rights Bill, 4th September 12.00)

olddog

I’m with Dazh – something simple.

The 2nd ref parties need to lock themselves away and come up with a plan in private. Them come out as a united front, not sure it will happen and the pre-talks grandstanding is particularly unhelpful

ferrals
    Free Member

Nick Boles’s letter I posted above demonstrates how in realitly chances of a no-“no deal” scenario are slim to none; if large nubmers of te tories wont vote down Johnson while he is still tryign to get a deal then the VONC will fail, or will be carried too late to prevnet no deal. I don’t think the lesisglative approach will work (BJ reported to belive he can ignore that).

Best stockpile more than just sweets for halloween 🙁

Del

BoJo’s Conservative Brexit Party has neutered farage and brought the no deal brigade back in to the fold. Labour don’t have a cat in hell’s chance in any GE. i’m afraid the die is cast. i’d love to be proved wrong, but i’m sorry, i think we’re ****.

dazh

Labour don’t have a cat in hell’s chance in any GE

Don’t be daft. The choice will be a simple one, a no deal brexit or something similar under Boris, or a chance to stop brexit or mitigate its harsher effects under Labour in combination with some pretty radical progressive policies. It won’t be easy, but it’s all to play for. The only realistic option to stop brexit is to avoid a no deal, and then a labour victory in an election, otherwise we’re leaving with or without a deal.

mattyfez

We know you’ve got a hard on for corbyn Dazh, but there’s no way labour will win an election, current polls show cons on 30% and Labour and lib dems in more or less joint second on about 20% each.

A hung parliament is all but guaranteed.

dazh

but there’s no way labour will win an election

I guess it depends on whether remainers can get their act together to vote against the tories. If not then we’ll be leaving, probably with no deal. It’s a simple choice.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I guess it depends on whether remainers can get their act together to vote against the tories.

Doubtful, even if they did, voting against the tories isn’t going to win an election for Labour.

People need to vote for Labour for them to win, not voting tory is not the same thing.

mattyfez

Labour aren’t a remain party.

No one really knows what they stand for. Red unicorns better brexit is the only message I’m getting.

The Liberal Democrats are a remain party.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

The Liberal Democrats are a remain party.

They have a funny way of going about it.

mattyfez

By not immediately falling into line behind corbyn, who doesn’t seem to want anyone to know his agenda is? Lol

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Labour aren’t the remain party I support.

Ignorant numpties like me don’t know what they stand for.

FTFY.

kelvin

No one really knows what they stand for.

Facilitating Brexit at every opportunity, but giving us the final say in a referendum before we leave. Not ideal, but I’ll take it, and if we get a vote before we have left, I’ll be voting Labour.

If No Deal Brexit happens this year, and the “because Tories wouldn’t make Corbyn PM” line is thrown about as the reason… not a chance in hell I’ll be voting Labour in any post-Brexit election ‘till they’ve got rid of him.

dazh

Red unicorns better brexit is the only message I’m getting.

Second referendum with the option to remain. That is their stated policy, by Corbyn himself, in writing, with his signature.

Or the tories and their Libdem mates with their no deal fantasism. If you want to stop brexit it’s a no-brainer.

kelvin

If you want to stop Brexit, vote for the man who says that Brexit should happen, but has been pushed into letting you have the final say” is not a no-brainer… even if it’s enough for my vote… it is complicated and does not elicit trust from voters.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

That is their stated policy, by Corbyn himself, in writing, with his signature.

Is it their stated policy or is that the thing he’s agreed in writing to do if he gets made pm?

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

(and if you think they’re a remain party look at how quickly they distanced themselves from mcdonell’s “I’ll campaign for remain in the next referendum” remarks)

Del

sootyandjim

Labour aren’t the remain party I support.

Ignorant numpties like me don’t know what they stand for.

FTFY.

by definition half the populace are below average intelligence. perhaps you’ve got a flow chart you could show them? when you do that, remember that explaining it to them, is not understanding it for them.
    add in mistrust from the ‘80% of voters voted for a party pledged to respect the referendum’ thrown around by both major parties since the last election labour lost, and there’s your defeat.

lunge

Anyone heard from him recently?
    I was thinking a leader of the opposition should be in the papers, on TV, everywhere really talking about what a mess Johnson is making of things, maybe telling everyone what he’d do to make it better.
    But no, radio silence, nothing.

And people wonder why Labour are not making progress…

nach
    Free Member

Hello lunge, have some homework

kelvin

He did a speech @lunge… even answered questions… well… took questions anyway. Answering would too generous a word, but he’s far from alone in that regard. That’ll be it ‘till September now. Where as Johnson will be popping his face and his “can do sprit” across all media channels daily. We could just blame the media for bias… or we could except that it is part of a wanna be PMs job to make themselves the story in a positive way… or recognise the problem is probably a bit of both.

The system may we’ll be stacked against any Labour leader… but that just means they need to be better at their job than the leader of the Conservative party… and at this aspect of the job… Corbyn is either missing, lacking a clear message, or a failure at communicating that message to the population via the media… or a bit of all three.

binners

The press are horrid and beastly to him, so he doesn’t talk to them

If there’s anything you urgently need to know – maybe about the date of the march to express support for the people of Venezuela or the next meeting of the transgender poetry club – have a look at the notice board in the common room

dazh

But no, radio silence, nothing.

That nasty Mr Corbyn hasn’t been on the telly and the wireless to reassure the poor little children that it’s all going to be alright. Get over yourself, he’s been very active last couple of weeks, when many others have been on holiday. What do you want, a daily personal update on his movements and activities? Or you could just open your eyes and watch the news.

binners

Any movement on rural bus services?

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

The press are horrid and beastly to him, so he doesn’t talk to them

You’d think he’d at least get a fair and even handed spot on garders’ world or something?

dazh

Any movement on rural bus services?

Still going on about those? I agree though they need urgent reform and billions of investment along with the rest of the rest of the public transport system if we’re going to boost the regional economies and cut carbon emissions. It would also reduce the number of cars and make the roads safer for cyclists. If politicians actually talked more about these sorts of issues that have a direct and immediate impact on ordinary people’s lives then they might get a little more respect.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

he’s been very active last couple of weeks,

Doing what? Star jumps?

binners

null

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Or the tories and their Libdem mates with their no deal fantasism. If you want to stop brexit it’s a no-brainer

Really?

Feel free to put your faith in a man to retain membership of an organisation he’s spent his ENTIRE POLITICAL LIFE OPPOSING….

But that seems like a leap of faith too far IMHO..

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

What do you want, a daily personal update on his movements and activities? Or you could just open your eyes and watch the news.

I do watch and read rather a lot of news and I don’t see much of the man who would be king. I certainly don’t see much of him doing things (and haven’t for the past 3 years). He’s (visibly) written a letter proposing something which he’s well aware is completely unacceptable to too many people to work. He’s crowed repeatedly for a GE he knows he’s not going to get, admittedly he has once forced that issue with a VonC but I’m not sure I’ve seen him do anything else, or even propose to do anything. Largely he’s spent 3 years since the referendum (in which he avoided having an opinion) avoiding the press, not committing to anything except being committed to everything and telling us how bad the tories and everything they do are whilst providing 0 alternative. No “this is how it should be done” , he’s just been telling us how bad the tory answer is.*

Crikey the man does less media than BJ who’s own team won’t let him do interviews because he’s a liability and a moron. How in all honesty, is a man who looks less comfortable with scrutiny than boris-never-given-a-straight-answer-contradict-himself-in-the-same-sentence-johnson going to deliver a Labour win? And for the sake of repeating my self, that is not the same as a tory loss.

It’s a tragic state of affairs when I think a vote for Labour at any pre brexit GE is a vote for Boris’ brexit.

And yes, daily personal updates would be good in a world where the US is governed on twitter, policy is announced by “leaks” to the press and generally you’re not a real person without an instabook account. It’s not 1950 anymore, he needs to engage with the press, back office closed door meetings are the things of governance not opposition, not ambition, labour should be shouting from the rooftops not skulking in bunkers. He could have the best policies in the known universe but they’re worth 0 if he can’t get them in front of people.

*sorry your last has reminded me, he’s told us exactly how he’ll fix things. Millions of pounds of investment, because the last 100+ years of governance has irrefutably proven the best way to fix things is to just spend more money on them.

dazh

That’s an awful lot of words to say that you want to see him on the news every day 🙂 Unfortunately I don’t think he controls what news editors put on our screens.

It’s a tragic state of affairs when I think a vote for Labour at any pre brexit GE is a vote for Boris’ brexit.

The policy is a second referendum with remain as an option. If you interpret that as the same as Boris’ brexit then that’s not a problem the labour party are going to be able to solve with rational explanation or more screen-time.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

so, what’s he been doing for the last couple of weeks then?

binners

The fact of the matter is that on the biggest issue facing this country for decades, he’s been a disinterested spectator from the day Dave announced the referendum and Steptoe promptly went AWOL. He’s still missing now, even as we hurtle towards the cliff edge with Boris cackling at the wheel.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

The policy is a second referendum with remain as an option.

To my previous, has party policy changed? I thought it was still, at this late stage, all options remain on the table with a referendum somewhere behind a GE (not promised if we get a GE).

His letter asking to be made pm by the HoC promises a GE with a referendum as part of that platform (note he does not priomise to give a ref, [assuming they win] just to campaign for one in the GE campaign) semantics aside* though I don’t take that to be a change in policy, its a necessary quid pro quo for asking to be put in charge.

They’ve not promised a referendum will be part of their GE campaign if corbyn isn’t made interim leader.

If you interpret that as the same as Boris’ brexit then that’s not a problem the labour party are going to be able to solve with rational explanation or more screen-time.

No I interpret voting for Labour at this point as being like peeing into the wind. I don’t think they’ve done anything to change the minds of the voters they need to win over. I can’t see parliamentary numbers changing enough in a GE at present to change the status quo.
    Labour needs to do something to win votes or their referendum policy (to what ever extent it exists) may as well be a policy to put elephants on the moon.

That’s something they can fix through media engagement.

*edit: I can’t seem to find the text of his letter such that I can read it in a small screen but, iirc, he doesn’t actually promise to campaign fora referendum in it, only that a referendum would form part of the campaign, again semantics but if that recollection is correct “we’re not having a referendum, out, out, out” would technically fulfil that promise.

stumpyjon

That’s an awful lot of words to say that you want to see him on the news every day 🙂 Unfortunately I don’t think he controls what news editors put on our screens.

That type of comment is made frequently with the inference that the media is biased against Corbyn. It’s not, if he was news worthy (ie interesting, ratings winner, had something new, relevant, outrageous to say, etc.) he’d be on more often. As a politician and especially opposition leader it’s your job to get your message out, not sit back moaning about perceived bias from the media. Point is he’s rubbish at it. He’s been a disgrace since he took the role, the conservatives have made such a mess of things they should be looking at a generation on the back benches.

Viewing 40 posts - 19,401 through 19,440 (of 21,377 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.