Viewing 40 posts - 12,961 through 13,000 (of 21,377 total)
  • Jeremy Corbyn
  • teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Looks like a new suit. Very smart but should have cut the label off. Purple tie for Lent too…amazing

mefty
    Free Member

It’s his stump speech

mefty
    Free Member

Do you think the purple is to woo the kippers?

EDIT: Ah, International Women’s Day – didn’t know it had a colour.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Thornbury only just staying awake and Robertson is just in dismay/WTF is going on mode!

Becky L-B simply looks lost.

mefty
    Free Member

T’wit too woo….?

Can’t imagine what you might mean.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Naughty edit 😉

Watch mine now..

God this speech is so bad..

Hammond just sitting back looking at the ceiling…

binners

When he’s got a proper suit on, he looks like a disgraced former geography teacher who’s been told by his union rep to bloody well smarten himself up, as if he loses this industrial tribunal, he’ll lose his pension as well as his job!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Our economy is not ready for breakfast!

mefty
    Free Member

Hammond can expect to get really dumped on re: the NIC hike – politically courageous, many journalists are freelancers and will be effected.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

many journalists are freelancers and will be effected.

Typololz

jambalaya
    Free Member

NI dodging is one of the swerves of the self employed, good to see its been addressed.

I’m glad Corbyn used the word Breakfast today as it’s synonymous with his leadership, Breakfast of the Dog’s variety

jambalaya
    Free Member

aracer a while back there was an argument here about how tax in UK wasn’t progressive so I did my own spreadsheet from something like 10k pa upto £250k. As income rose then so did the rate of tax paid. Where it gets fuzzy is with the self employed inc people who start a business and then sell it – 15% tax paid on millions/billions. However when we speak about PAYE the system is progressive.

We have less VAT in UK than most of the EU so you could argue bringing us back yo then”norm” would be regressive but we are the outlier. A bastion of progressiveness under the Tories 😉

rone

aracer a while back there was an argument here about how tax in UK wasn’t progressive so I did my own spreadsheet from something like 10k pa upto £250k. As income rose then so did the rate of tax paid

I’d like to have seen that spreadsheet as a regressive tax system must included all taxes as a percentage of income. Not just income tax.

You need to add in Vat , council tax, fuel duty , NI, insurance premium tax etc to complete the picture.

Income tax alone could be considered progressive but not the UK tax system.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Did the 259k figures also include pension contributions and other wealth management strategies to minimise tax?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

The UK tax (and benefits) system is progressive

rone

The UK tax (and benefits) system is progressive

How can it be. Lots of tax is levied at the same rate for rich and poor thereby eating into lower earners money more.

Also, council tax for instance doesn’t proportionally increase with the value of the house.

Explain why you believe the tax ‘system’ to be progressive?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Please?

jambalaya
    Free Member

@rone, was income tax only as more than that gets quite subjective. As essentials like rent and food are vat free and utilities charged at a lower rate and any welfare/benefits are paid tax free the picture is quite complex. Then add in that lower paid get free access to NHS etc effectively paid for by others. Also as richer people tend to spend more money on “lifetsyle” they are paying a lot of VAT. The top 1% are paying 27% of income taxes, the notion that somehow that’s not enough/unfair is bonkers. What Gov should be doingbis cracking down on avoidance (eg offshore corporates, gig economy and “service companies” which the likes of TV and Sports people abuse)

Did the 259k figures also include pension contributions and other wealth management strategies to minimise ta

No as above too subjective also low and behold people might be incentivised to save and not be a burden on the state / have money to spend in the economy in their retirement. As I posted beofre I saved quite a bit in my pension but I can get no where near the benenfits Corbyn has as his pension at £1.6m is way above the £1.2m threshold before punative tax rates kick in. Those on lower incomes with state pension provision could be argued to be on a negative tax rate as their pension costs far more to fund than they ever pay in tax and NI. Never mind the NHS.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@rone “council tax” was never supposed to be a tax which is why it’s called Community Charge. Its to pay for services like rubbish collection which are not dependent upon property value.

martinhutch

@rone “council tax” was never supposed to be a tax which is why it’s called Community Charge. Its to pay for services like rubbish collection which are not dependent upon property value.

Errm

The Community Charge was abolished in 1990 and replaced with Council Tax, which is most definitely based on property value.

br
    Free Member

No as above too subjective also low and behold people might be incentivised to save and not be a burden on the state / have money to spend in the economy in their retirement. As I posted beofre I saved quite a bit in my pension but I can get no where near the benenfits Corbyn has as his pension at £1.6m is way above the £1.2m threshold before punative tax rates kick in. Those on lower incomes with state pension provision could be argued to be on a negative tax rate as their pension costs far more to fund than they ever pay in tax and NI. Never mind the NHS. [/I]

Yes, but this applies to ANYONE with a final salary pension, it’s about a 2:1 factor in their favour over with only money-purchase type funds.

Obviously not unfair enough for Hammand to do anything about it…

binners

I listened to John Macdonell being interviewed on Radio 4 this morning. He was talking about the burden of taxation, how its distributed, who does (and doesn’t) pay what and the priorities of this government.

I found myself agreeing with pretty much everything he said.

does this mean I’m now a Marxist? 😯

outofbreath
    Free Member

Easy to say the right thing when you’re not in Govt and never will be.

binners

Well what do you want? Policies? Alternatives? I think you’ve forgotten the purpose of the present labour party…

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

No, even worse binners, it makes you a Tory.

Look back at policy not rhetoric and the difference between the two is negligible barring Labour’s silly 50p MRT stunt. And yes, that was a Stunt, not sensible policy.

The tax take is generally pretty consistent over time with changes in make up that tend to transcend party policies. There are exceptions, like the evil death tax, but these are at the margin not the core.

rone

was income tax only as more than that gets quite subjective.

Then you would agree the the tax system is regressive? Given IT only makes up 30% of the tax take.

I would disagree on subjective – basically more complex maths – which is by design.

rone

Then add in that lower paid get free access to NHS etc effectively paid for by others.

Lower earners don’t contribute to the NHS?

rone

Also as richer people tend to spend more money on “lifetsyle” they are paying a lot of VAT.

They don’t spend more as a percentage of the earnings though. That is what by very definition is a regressive tax system.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Not enough to pay for the services they use. My point was in relation to the tax burden, we hear that low earners are disproportionally impacted by taxes like VAT yet at the same time they are consuming more services than they are paying for.

@mike on pension tax relief so as a private sector defined contribution employee I should not get tax relief on my saving (max £1.2m which buys a pension of about £40k) whereas for example a state defined benefit employee like an MP or an NHS Surgeon has total tax free gold plated pension worth £1.6-£2m (pensions of £50k-£60k pa)

jambalaya
    Free Member

Rone the “rich” are spending on VATable items whereas low income person is spending largely on VAT free.

aracer
    Free Member

I’ve stayed out of this to avoid getting bogged down, but unless I missed something a bit earlier (there’s a lot of this thread I’ve not read) talk of regressive tax was introduced by me in response to jamba suggesting VAT on food as a tax everybody would pay. I’m not personally desperately interested in discussion of whether the tax system as a whole is regressive or progressive (and I wouldn’t necessarily trust the conflicting analysis of various economists with agendas).

So would anybody like to suggest that levying VAT on food wouldn’t be a regressive tax? Hence that only seems a sensible idea to the honourable member for Clacton and those who share his particular political persuasions.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

It’s not regressive but granted the arguments as used by the LDs and equality trust are quite clever in being plausible at face value if ultimately misleading and meaningless

aracer
    Free Member

That’s completely **** irrelevant. Everybody uses services, that’s the whole point of a state which provides services, they’re not doled out based upon your ability to pay.

aracer
    Free Member

VAT on food? THM wins the prize.

Can I just check, do you mean that it’s not regressive by Captain Rum’s your definition of regressive, or do you mean that the poor wouldn’t pay a higher proportion of their income on VAT on food?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I was talking to rone

I will respond to your errors later but have meetings now

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Blue Red steel

kerley
    Free Member

That’s completely **** irrelevant. Everybody uses services, that’s the whole point of a state which provides services, they’re not doled out based upon your ability to pay

Another 20 years of the Tory government and they will be. Assuming Corbyn doesn’t unite the country behind him in the next few years.

ninfan
    Free Member

Jess Phillips confirms that she would run for leader

[video]https://youtube.com/watch?v=O2Bi0PTLcto[/video]

I’m putting this on record, despite significant political differences, I would vote for her tomorrow!

martinhutch

I will respond to your errors later but have meetings now

Form a queue, morons! 🙂

cranberry
    Free Member

Blue Red steel

Shirley “Red steal”, no ?

Viewing 40 posts - 12,961 through 13,000 (of 21,377 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.