Viewing 40 posts - 9,281 through 9,320 (of 21,377 total)
  • Jeremy Corbyn
  • dragon
    Free Member

Don’t worry once he’s spent all his money on re-nationalising the big 6 energy firms and re-opening the coal mines there won’t be any money left for schools, NHS etc.

Interesting the attack on Eton is the type of petty thing that achieves little and goes down badly with a significant portion of voters.

yunki
    Free Member

you’re bonkers mate… absolutely screaming bonkers 😆

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Err, you could try the official source of economic facts in the UK clod or resort to a diatribe. Your choice,

You asked a (facetious) question about Eton and got a straight answer. Sorry that doesn’t suit.

clodhopper
    Free Member

Deluded is the word I’d use, Yunki. Utterly **** deluded.

“I see little evidence of what you suggest”

This is clearly because you a) spend far too much time on here, and b) obviously do not have sufficient experience of society at anything more than a superficial level, which means you are completely out of touch with the reality experienced by so many in our society. Perhaps if you swapped your keyboard for actually visiting various parts of our country, and talking to real people, you’d become somewhat more enlightened.

Oh, here’s some facts for you:

https://www.equalitytrust.org.uk/scale-economic-inequality-uk

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/thinking-man/11578214/Inequality-is-ruining-Britain-so-why-arent-we-talking-about-it-more.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/comment/inequality-in-the-uk-four-charts-that-tell-the-real-story-behind-the-official-figures-a6712536.html

Stick your ‘facts’ where the sun don’t shine. 😆

Speaking of getting off the computer, and sunshine…

MrWoppit
    Free Member

yunki – Member
    Can I respond with a few questions of my own woppit…

I’d rather you dealt with mine.

ninfan
    Free Member

Whoops, looks like somethings come off the rails:

Images released by Virgin Trains show that honest and authentic Jeremy Corbyn staged that video in which he sat on a train floor and appealed for “public ownership” of the railways. In a statement Virgin revealed that the 67 year-old Labour leadership favourite walked past “empty, unreserved seats” prior to filming the video. After shooting the film, he was assisted by train staff to seats which he and his team occupied for the remainder of the journey to Newcastle. Stick to regular sit-ins, Jez…

😆

Corbyn’s Train Squat Doesn’t Stand Up

just5minutes
    Free Member

Turns out that “busy train” where Corbers had to sit on the floor due to lack of seats not only had seats but there was one reserved for him. More of the “new politics” we were promised I guess.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08/23/revealed-jeremy-corbyn-had-a-seat-during-train-journey-he-claime/

Edit: beaten to it

oldnpastit

tjagain – member
    Ours is very unequal compared to most of Europe

Especially if you’re in the shadow cabinet apparently….

ninfan
    Free Member

@just5minutes – given that we both posted that at the same time, are we now part of a conspiracy?

molgrips
    Free Member

show that honest and authentic Jeremy Corbyn staged that video in which he sat on a train floor

Wait – HE staged it?

Maybe he got on a crowded train on the wrong carriage and, rather than fight his way through to his seat and evict a squatter, he thought he’d sit on the floor anyway. Then it was filmed and other people made a big deal out of it. That seems more likely to me, tbh, but maybe it’s all the kind of big political stunt he’s known for…

But anyway – how important is it?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Clod, the wonder that is wifi means that you can access this nonsense from a variety of places. I have change location by 40 miles on this page alone!

But please help me out. How do I tell if someone is real or not. There are some people sitting in the coffee shop next to me. Do I just ask or should I try and pinch them?

Thanks for your advice in advance

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Truthful, honest politician.

Or a bit of a liar, just like every other politician.

ninfan
    Free Member

Important enough for his supporters to have made a big thing about how ‘principled’ & ‘egalitarian’ it made him 😆

Maybe he got on a crowded train on the wrong carriage

Since we’ve drifted off into the ‘maybes’ then maybe there were only empty seats next to somebody and Jeremy refused to sit next to one of the hoi-polloi?

just5minutes
    Free Member

Molgrips – how important is it if video evidence is released that appears to show the leader of the opposition “staging” an event?

Is it better or worse that he was on his way to a leadership debate conducted on the principles of a gentler honest kind of politics where he then made political points about the “problem” he encountered?

Most people would be fired for this sort of stuff at work. Is this conduct any less excusable because the person doing it is an MP?

molgrips
    Free Member

Molgrips – how important is it if video evidence is released that appears to show the leader of the opposition “staging” an event?

Are you answering or just re-iterating the question? That was an actual question by the way not rhetoric.

And in any case – he might’ve *appeared* to stage an event, but the question is did he *actually* stage it? Questions like this is where the political debate goes off the rails imo. We want the country run competently for the benefit of all. If he can do that, I don’t give a shit where he sits on trains.

Important enough for his supporters to have made a big thing about how ‘principled’ & ‘egalitarian’ it made him

Some of them did, aye. But did he? Did all of his supporters? I’d have thought it obvious at this time that not all Labour or Corbyn supporters are of one mind…

where he then made political points about the “problem” he encountered?

Was the train overcrowded or not? If so, he can use that fact to make political points, of course he can. Makes no difference where he personally sat. The question is was the train overall overcroweded, and are the trains generally overcrowded?

ninfan
    Free Member

But did he? Did all of his supporters? I’d have thought it obvious at this time that not all Labour or Corbyn supporters are of one mind…

Well, since the video was by an authorised documentary maker who was travelling with him, then you have to presume there was some level of authorisation, and even if there wasn’t, if the initially reported version was untrue, why didn’t Jeremy’s press team come out with a clarification?

The question is was the train overall overcroweded, and are the trains generally overcrowded?

Well, if there were empty, unreserved seats, then clearly the answer has to be a resounding no doesn’t it?

just5minutes
    Free Member

he might’ve *appeared* to stage an event, but the question is did he *actually* stage it? Questions like this is where the political debate goes off the rails imo. We want the country run competently for the benefit of all. If he can do that, I don’t give a shit where he sits on trains.”

Maybe the facts can help us here – the video and stills show:

1. He walked past unreserved empty seats
    2. He sits in the vestibule and does his video
    3. He walks to a seat and spends the next 2 hours sat in it
    4. He arrives in Newcastle and talks about not having anywhere to sit on the train

We are also told (this may not be a fact) that he actually had a reserved seat.

If we can’t answer the simple question of whether it was staged or not we’re a bit ****. Can we really expect a leader to run anything competently when they are spending their time reportedly making things up?

ctk
    Free Member

Of course he staged it. His transport policy document was out the same day. Playing the media game, getting in the papers etc. Like Cameron riding his bike to work with a car following him.

binners

In next weeks episode of The Only Way is Islington Comrade…

Jeremy has his rent raised well above the rate of inflation by an unscrupulous private landlord, and has to resort to borrowing money from a payday lender

ninfan
    Free Member

I love technology!

Walking past empty seats with no reservations:

Geotagged location

molgrips
    Free Member

Can we really expect a leader to run anything competently when they are spending their time reportedly making things up?

Hmm.. tricky one this.

Trains are overcrowded, yes. However, if he’s going to sit on the floor to make a point, he should’ve admitted it was a stunt. Otherwise it’ll backfire.

However – he does have a point, does he not?

Also – did he put out the ‘man of the people’ message or was it one of his supporters? Some of whom we know are a bit unhinged.

oldnpastit

However – he does have a point, does he not?

No, not if there were seats available. In that case he doesn’t have a point.

johnx2
    Free Member

From the tweets: “Don’t blow it now Agent Corbyn, your mission to destroy the Labour Party is almost complete.”

eat_the_pudding
    Free Member

Based on the reaction of Jezzas supporters to this one event I’m beginning to think Corbyn is even more of a cult than Sturgeon is up here.

(On that note, you should watch reaction to tomorrows GERS figures to get an object lesson in how to try to spin or ignore inconvenient facts)

EDIT: as Al Murray just put it on twitter: “We can now add CCTV to the list of biased MSM outlets” :O)

molgrips
    Free Member

No, not if there were seats available. In that case he doesn’t have a point.

Well he’s talking about trains in general, presumably, not that specific service?

And trains in general are overcrowded at peak times so I think he does have a point. Do you deny that there is an overcrowding issue?

lunge

Trains are overcrowded

They are, though I’m yet to see a sensible solution to this. Bringing them into public ownership can’t generate longer platforms, more rolling stock or upgrade the infrastructure.

Either way, everyone knows the trains are busy, you don’t need a staged stunt to bring it to everyone’s attention.

lunge

And, as someone who used the trains in British Rail days and now uses them under the TOC’s, why oh why do we think a publicly owned railway would be better???? BR were terrible, horrific punctuality, old and dirty rolling stock and generally a horrible place to be. The new system is not perfect but it is so much better than the old BR days.

ctk
    Free Member

Yep Corbyn is making a point unlike Cameron riding his bike in when he was trying to make himself look good/green.

Still I think both stunts are daftness. But I’m kind of glad Corbyn is at least trying to play the media game.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Apparently, if you nationalise something, it works just fine….

This must be why Jeremy wants to nationalise, well, just about everything.

See you at the ” Citizen Assembly” comrades…

johnx2
    Free Member

The train thing’s comms fluff, but let’s just say it doesn’t alter my impressions of his and his team’s general levels of competence.

As in if you were going to make the point that trains are overpriced and some are really overcrowded you’d travel Leeds-Manc or cross country to Birmingham or something. I travel on the East Coast line a lot and it’s really not that bad (in terms of crowding. Not price.) You’d also not stage something that’s obviously going to be rumbled. Hey ho.

tjagain

Trains – look at the east cost mainline. Franchise went bust, back to public ownership. made a big surplus with high travelling standards. Back to franchise. costs us more, service worse.

the last days of BR were bad because of lack of investment.

eat_the_pudding
    Free Member

From @OwenSmith_MP
    “My campaign remains on track. Proud to be genuinely standing up for ordinary people.”

Hes got my vote just for that :O)

molgrips
    Free Member

This must be why Jeremy wants to nationalise, well, just about everything.

why oh why do we think a publicly owned railway would be better????

Why oh why do we think a new public railway would be the same as BR????

old and dirty rolling stock

The trains I use most were new in the days of BR, ironically.

Bringing them into public ownership can’t generate longer platforms, more rolling stock or upgrade the infrastructure.

Well I believe the theory is profits would have to be re-invested instead of given out to investors. So if there were any profits then yes those things would happen.

They are, though I’m yet to see a sensible solution to this.

Building new lines would be a start.. oh wait, that’s unpopular too…

dragon
    Free Member

Part of the solution is supposed to be HS2, which to be fair Corbyn does support.

lunge

Why oh why do we think a new public railway would be the same as BR????

What else would it look like? That’s the last time the UK railways network was public owned, why would it look different?

The East Coast is 1 line, it was run well, but running a whole network is a different kettle of fish altogether.

molgrips
    Free Member

What else would it look like? That’s the last time the UK railways network was public owned, why would it look different?

Because it’d be a different organisation with different rules and regulations..? There’s no standard mandatory template for public ownership, is there?

AlexSimon

Well I believe the theory is profits would have to be re-invested instead of given out to investors. So if there were any profits then yes those things would happen.

Tricky though isn’t it.
    I’m a fan of nationalising/re-nationalising critical infrastructure and Trains just about qualify as that for me, but upon nationalisation people would expect a price decrease and performance improvements – achievements that are probably going to suck your profits away very quickly.

Also bear in mind that if this happens as one of the first tests of a Corbyn government, the press will focus on every flaw/hiccup more than they have ever done since privatisation.

It will be an interesting one to follow though – as the reason Corbyn is focussing on this is because Polls show that there is a fair bit of support for it.

molgrips
    Free Member

upon nationalisation people would expect a price decrease and performance improvements

Hmm don’t think so. It would need to be (and probably would be) the subject of widespread public discussion, and the rules and aims should be transparent. So they could set out rules like say, fares stay the same in line with inflation except for say X and Y ripoff fares that might come down; 100% of profit reinvested; £Z subsidy each year and so on. Whatever the terms were, they should be set out.

And also remember publicly owned doesn’t have to mean government run.

ninfan
    Free Member

How do the franchise fees the government receives from the operating company (at no risk) compare with the profits the treasury received when publicly owned?

Its pointless discussing one without the other as a comparison surely?

lunge

upon nationalisation people would expect a price decrease and performance improvements

Correct, if it’s going under public ownership it’s because the current system doesn’t work. In train terms “doesn’t work” means it’s either too expensive, it has poor performance (punctuality) or it’s overcrowded. So the public would expect that to improve quickly, and that will not be a cheap undertaking. So there go your profits and some very, very quickly.

Viewing 40 posts - 9,281 through 9,320 (of 21,377 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.