Viewing 40 posts - 6,561 through 6,600 (of 21,377 total)
  • Jeremy Corbyn
  • ernie_lynch
    Free Member

“Choice is Eagle or Corbyn. Corbyn is easily the more impressive of the 2.”

Corbyn Impressive? Really?!?

Compared to the competition yes. Although obviously you are impressed by Angela Eagle, the ditherer with no plan and a tendency to cry.

And look how Boris Johnson, who unlike Corbyn desperately wanted on a personal level to become party leader and prime minister, reacted when a couple of people ganged up on him – he immediately threw in the towel at the first opportunity. So much for his adoring fans.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I was against the Iraq war and do not wish to see Trident renewed, but that doesn’t change his charachter

True but most of our were probably labouring over the misconception that you voted on policies and not character

BoJO is a hell of character why not give him a go now?

molgrips
    Free Member

He is simply not considered leadership material

I wish someone would explain what that actually means, with specifics.

jimw
    Free Member

Who said I am impressed with Angela Eagle? All I said is that of the two she is more impressive, not the same thing at all.

headfirst
    Free Member

Surely Eagle is just first on the dancefloor and others will take to the floor shortly, I bloody well hope so!
    Andy Burnham would be the best mover and shaker, appealing to core Labour voters but also potentially attracting new ones so Labour could actually be electable again.

outofbreath
    Free Member

“Don’t be silly. It’s far more important to be a “conviction politician” and praise the economic miracle of Venezuela. Winning general elections, being in a position of power and able to actually do anything is utterly irrelevant.”

Power is worse than irrelevant, it’s dangerous. Being the one in the hotseat making real decisions with a finite budget makes you really unpopular. Look at the Liberals. Look at the Tories!

big_n_daft
    Free Member

the ditherer with no plan and a tendency to cry.

trained by Gordon Brown then

And look how Boris Johnson, who unlike Corbyn desperately wanted on a personal level to become party leader and prime minister, reacted when a couple of people ganged up on him – he immediately threw in the towel at the first opportunity.

smart money thinks he decided he wasn’t going to win and therefore decided not to run leaving it open for him to try again in the future

anyway based on the Euro’s I’m going for Owen Smith as the next leader of Labour as he is Welsh

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Being the one in the hotseat making real decisions with a finite budget makes you really unpopular.

True. Far better to snipe from the sidelines, safely ensconced in your echo chamber of fellow travelers! 🙂

5thElefant
    Free Member

OK, I’ll have a bash. When 172 people you’re supposed lead vote against you in a vote of no confidence and only 40 vote for you it means most of the people you’re supposed to lead think you’re shit at leading.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

jimw – Member

Who said I am impressed with Angela Eagle? All I said is that of the two she is more impressive, not the same thing at all.

Well you did put “?!?” when it was suggested that Corbyn was more impressive than Angela Eagle which might have led some people to think that Eagle was way more impressive.

But anyway you are not impressed with Angela Eagle, you just want her to be party leader. That’s fair enough – let’s have an unimpressive party leader.

jimw
    Free Member

It would be very difficult to be less impressive than JC from my perspective since you ask, so at least it would be movement in the right direction.

I agree with Headfirst

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

When 172 people you’re supposed lead vote against you in a vote of no confidence and only 40 vote for you it means most of the people you’re supposed to lead think you’re shit at leading.

He is actually leader of a party with about half a million members.

The clue is in the job title……..”Labour Party Leader”.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

– let’s have an unimpressive party leader

That wish has already been granted!

Mol – you really need to ask. As 5th noted, if the bulk of people you are supposed to be leading have no confidence in you, that is a bit of a giveaway

So Ernie, what do you make of the idea that Corbyn was close to packing it in?

jimw
    Free Member

But how many of the 1/2 million support him? We will find out soon. He may well increase his percentage of those who can be bothered to vote, but to win a general election they need more than the core vote. Many, many more

Junkyard
    Free Member

As ernie notes he is the leader of the party if they cannot follow them then they need to leave.
    He is not just the PLP party leader

ninfan
    Free Member

Far better to snipe from the sidelines, safely ensconced in your echo chamber of fellow travelers!

Think of the epitaph:

Thatcher: Ended cold war, liberated Falklands, screwed miners, freed Mandela*

Blair: Minimum wage, million kids out of poverty, brought peace to NI, prevented genocide in Kosovo and Sierra Leone, Toppled Saddam

Corbyn: Carried a few placards

5thElefant
    Free Member

As ernie notes he is the leader of the party if they cannot follow them then they need to leave.
    [/quote]
    That’s entirely likely.

yunki
    Free Member

When 172 people you’re supposed lead vote against you in a vote of no confidence and only 40 vote for you it means most of the people you’re supposed to lead think you’re shit at leading are concerned that they may lose out on some of the cushy perks offered by their neo-liberal agenda

athgray
    Free Member

Angela Eagle is not best pleased with the news that Jeremy can stand.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Newsnight is quite illuminating in a rather unpleasant way esp in Wallasay

And heres Paul Davies back from the past with some convoluted logic. When did we last hear this!?!

CaptJon
    Free Member

molgrips – Member

According to the political editor of The New Statesman, Corbyn left tonight’s NEC meeting before the vote on the cut off point for new members to vote. He didn’t want to have a say on, or vote if all Labour members could vote in the leadership election. There are 100,000 new members now not eligible to vote unless they – and anyone else, including non members – pay £25. The Labour website states that when you become a member you will be eligible to vote in leadership contests. What kind of message does that send?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

So Ernie, what do you make of the idea that Corbyn was close to packing it in?

Not a lot.

I have just seen footage of him coming out of the NEC meeting and talking to reporters I have to say that I was genuinely surprised to see just how happy he appeared. He had the warm smile of a very happy relieved person.

I thought to myself “he really does want to be leader, he is relishing fighting the next ballot, he’s clearly very committed”. Up to that point I had niggling doubts.

seosamh77
    Free Member

jimw – Member
    Corbyn Impressive? Really?!?

Compared to Eagle, absolutely.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Angela is up for a fight judging by this Newsnight performance

Not pulling her punches so far

jambalaya
    Free Member

Yes you did…

@footflaps – No I did not, I used the words endemic and rife (in fact I typed them in my original post and then deleted them). Neither is the same as overrun. Corbyn’s covered it up with his three different reports kicking it further down the road in the hope of burying it. He’s failed and the Home Affairs Committee have called him back for being less than truthful about associating with a known holocaust denier. Thats diplomatic language for telling lies. I spent 90 minutes listening to him being evasive last time, seems he was outright lying about specific facts. Lets see how it goes next time.

Corbyn didn’t make the (crazy) party voting rules. The broader Labour movement did that and along with the MPs who nominated him originally “just for the craic” (broaden the debate 😐 ) prove its the whole outfit which has become unfot to govern

yunki
    Free Member

it’s definitely looking like the blairites are pretty **** corrupt.. and jamba is getting his smear on

semms that no-one wants to see the hedgefunds blowing like tumbleweeds 🙁

seosamh77
    Free Member

teamhurtmore – Member

Mol – you really need to ask. As 5th noted, if the bulk of people you are supposed to be leading have no confidence in you, that is a bit of a giveaway

To be confirmed.

He’s the leader of the Labour Party, which includes the PLP. That’s a few million, not 170 or so.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

True and we shall see the result of that one. But mol seemed to be struggling to find any evidence so far…

Actually – the Dallas coverage now is more disturbing, especially with Trump on the sidelines

seosamh77
    Free Member

aye, I wouldn’t be willing to put any money on it..

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Why not? Jezza’s a shoe in isn’t he?

seosamh77
    Free Member

Dunno is the answer to that. I’m not really willing to predict anything in politics these days!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

But mol seemed to be struggling to find any evidence so far…

No, molegrips asked why Corbyn isn’t considered leadership material by some people. All you have done is repeated what molegrips already knew with regards to the blairite coup.

The fact that Corbyn came from a 500-1 outsider to win the Labour leadership election by a bigger margin than anyone else in history, and more than all the other candidates put together, suggests that he might indeed have some leadership qualities.

Angela Eagle btw came 4th in the deputy leader election, which by any standard is pisspoor – she was expected to do better than that.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

No, molegrips asked why Corbyn isn’t considered leadership material by some people. All you have done is repeated what molegrips already knew….

Odd to need to ask then? Very odd….

big_n_daft
    Free Member

I spent 90 minutes listening to him being evasive last time, seems he was outright lying about specific facts. Lets see how it goes next time.

it’s the long version of the 2020 Conservative Party political broadcast

molgrips
    Free Member

What I meant was – what would a true leader actually specifically be doing right now?

Clearly not much is coming out of the Labour Party currently, but the fact they are spending all their energy on infighting isn’t really Corbyn’s fault is it?

5thElefant
    Free Member

Clearly not much is coming out of the Labour Party currently, but the fact they are spending all their energy on infighting isn’t really Corbyn’s fault is it?

He’s the leader and he isn’t controlling his subordinates. Of course it’s his fault.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Are you not answering your own question?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Odd to need to ask then? Very odd….

What’s odd is your inability to answer the question. The very fact that Corbyn will not allow a bunch of discredited Blairites/Brownites/Milibandites bully him, or the rest of the party, shows his leadership qualities.

They have tried every trick in the book including briefing hostile journalists against their own leader and attempting to rig the ballot paper – because they think they lack the “leadership qualities” to even convince their own members.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Oh i see…so looks like we have a new nasty party then doesn’t it. (Perhaps we should judge Eagle on how she stands up to a different, and what we had hoped was a long forgotten, type of nastiness. )

Poor old Tories, labour stealing their clothes again.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

He’s the leader and he isn’t controlling his subordinates. Of course it’s his fault.

😆

So the MPs are his “subordinates” are they, what do suggest he does…..dock their pay?

This thread is starting to become as funny and as absurd as it was yesterday. I guess it’s to expected when people start clutching straws 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 6,561 through 6,600 (of 21,377 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.