Viewing 40 posts - 6,481 through 6,520 (of 21,377 total)
  • Jeremy Corbyn
  • mefty
    Free Member

NEC have overriding right to amend rules if they see fit.

molgrips
    Free Member

Or they understand the concept of tax income elasticity, perhaps?

Hmm.. so it’s not possible to tax any more than we currently do? And therefore have better public services than we currently do?

Not sure that’s correct. If there’s a sweet spot, we haven’t hit it.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I agree its pretty clear it mean challengers have to hit a threshold
    I assume the reason was to stop a left wing firebrand with no hope challenge the leader each year with no prospect of winning

If the NEC rule otherwise then most will see it as a stitch up and it then the PLP and the NEC v the members

this is a terrible scenario for the party.

It smells like a Blairite coup to me at the expense of the members

FWIW I am fairly agnostic on Corbyn and can see both sides – its electoral suicide ..the alternative might work. What is clear though is the view of the labour party. They need to be listened to. If you cannot listen to your party members then you have to consider that you are in the wrong party rather than elaborate anti democratic methods of bypassing them

molgrips
    Free Member

All Labour needs is a third alternative – not Corbyn and not the Blairites….

footflaps

Or they understand the concept of tax income elasticity, perhaps?

Read this and then come back and tell us all that tax cuts spur growth….

http://www.businessinsider.com/study-tax-cuts-dont-lead-to-growth-2012-9

The evidence points the other way…

footflaps

If you cannot listen to your party members then you have to consider that you are in the wrong party rather than elaborate anti democratic methods of bypassing them

I think they’d be happy to see them go. Anyone who support Corbyn is painted as a modern day Militant, who needs to be driven from the party. They want to carry on as a Pro Blair party….

jambalaya
    Free Member

Isn’t the problem that anyone who doesn’t support Corbyn is a Blairite, even though as Chuka pointed out Blair has been gone 10 years now.

I thought what Eagle said was very poignant, gentler politics isn’t just a slogan. Corbyn needs to “call out” those who abuse and intimidate. He certainly didn’t do that with OULB or the Chakrabati report so I don’t hold out much hope.

epicyclo

It’s hotting up.

Legal action threatened over any attempt to exclude Corbyn.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

TurnerGuy – Member

“You should chill out on the Corbyn attacks, Binners. Not really a good look. You’re arguing against, what you see as common room politics, but acting like an angry student”.

I thought he was giving a pretty fair assessment.

Well there’s no doubt that binners ranting on this thread in recent weeks (he was a big Corbyn supporter at the start of the thread) has gone down very well with the Tory supporters like yourself, Stoner was really impressed yesterday, but then that’s hardly surprising.

The highly destructive actions of the PLP have obviously also been a huge hit with Tory supporters. No surprise there either.

The problem with binners though, is not only does he rant like a sixth-former who thinks he’s an expert on politics but he is also as ill-informed as a ranting sixth-former.

Binners in true Tory fashion keeps banging on how terrible things were in the 1970s, but he’s so clueless that he thought the 3 day week occurred under a Labour government.

Also in the 1970s great reforms were introduced by Labour governments, such as Equal Pay and Health and Safety at Work legislation, these were real reforms which changed and benefited the lives of ordinary working people in a real and meaningful way.

That’ll be the same working class people which binners purports to be concerned about, from the reassuring comfort of his middle-class bubble.

Still, ill-informed gibberish aside, binners rants do have an entertainment value. And if with the help of a rigged ballot paper Angela Eagle does indeed win the the leadership “election”, then I’m sure that filled with incandescent rage he will use all his literature skills, which he honed at his posh middle-class school (a former cabinet member went to it dontcha know), to rant endlessly about Angela Eagle.

That’s something to look forward to at least.

🙂

seosamh77
    Free Member

molgrips – Member

A split is the only possible solution, I wished they’d hurry up and get on with it.
    My instinct is this is just a fight to see who inhereits the family silverwear.

footflaps

Corbyn needs to “call out” those who abuse and intimidate.

In what way is he responsible for them?

or the Chakrabati report

That will be the one which directly contradicts you and found that “The Labour Party is not overrun by anti-Semitism or other forms of racism”?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Are you claiming this coup is not being done by Blairites?
    Perhaps you are saying you cannot be Marxist because its more than 10 years ago
    What are you trying to say with that “point”?

As for call them out he does you just dont care as you hate lefties and wish to portray them as nasty
    Clearly you wont look at the way you spoke of immigration and the death of the MP nor your attitude to Islam you will just see your faults in others.

It is extremely concerning that Angela Eagle has been the victim of a threatening act and that other MPs are receiving abuse and threats.

As someone who has also received death threats this week and previously, I am calling on all Labour Party members and supporters to act with calm and treat each other with respect and dignity, even where there is disagreement.

I utterly condemn any violence or threats, which undermine the democracy within our party and have no place in our politics.

– JEREMY CORBYN

I admire eagles cheek to talk about being bullied as she attempts to usurp a democratically elected leader and make sure he cannot even stand in her challenge. It hardly like she is being “nice” or her supporters are.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

mefty – Member

NEC have overriding right to amend rules if they see fit.

I’m fairly sure that’s not true. The role of the NEC is to implement the rules.

Standing orders requires no rule changes for 5 years (IIRC) which leaves another 2 years before any further rule changes.

However amendments to existing rules can be introduced at Party Conference if the delegates vote in favour.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

makes people rich whilst child poverty remains static, increases food bank need, closes spaces for learning, increases the numbers of suicides etc etc..is tbat what you mean @thm…people knowingly vote for that and it’s called income tax income elasticity…I call it it something else…

No.

Actually mol, we have found the sweatpsot give or take a few p in the £

FF – have a word with the HRMC. Perhaps they can also become disciples of Blodget. amusing to chose him as a source, you are aware of his background I assume.

Anyway, have been out, how is old Jezza doing? Racking up legal fees yet?

jambalaya
    Free Member

@footflaps even I didn’t acuse the Labour Party of being overrun. Shami’s report is a blatant cover-up, you can see that in the terms of reference. I am hopeful a new leader with clear decks on this issue in particular. Chucka was incadescent at the Home Affairs Committee, I think the PLP and a new leader will get it dealt with as soon as Corbyn has gone.

He is the leader and Momentum supporters are largely responsible for the abuse, he can say powerfully “not in my name”. See above Chucka’s comments at the Home Affairs commitee about the conduct of Momentum

jambalaya
    Free Member

If the NEC can just make up new rules that would be extraordinary. If the Tories could do that there wouod be accusations of facism.

mefty
    Free Member

Clause II.
    Procedural rules for elections for national officers of the Party

1. General
    A. The following procedures provide a rules framework which, unless varied by the consent of the NEC, shall be followed when conducting elections for Party officers.

Chapter 4 Clause II – my terminology was imprecise but there is certainly an argument they can consent to a change. All very messy.

martinhutch

ouod be accusations of facism.

It’s certainly arse-about-facism.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

“Corbyn needs to “call out” those who abuse and intimidate”.

His long history of supporting violence ?

We know that Corbyn is actually a racist, all that talk about peace and opposing war is probably a smokescreen to hide his violent tendencies.

I expect soon to be told that despite all his alleged commitment to LGBT rights he’s actually a anti-lesbian homophobe, why else would he hate Angela Eagle so much and try to stop her becoming Labour leader?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Chapter 4 Clause II – my terminology was imprecise but there is certainly an argument they can consent to a change.

Yes, that certainly appears to back up your claim.

And to be fair the NEC did exclude Corbyn from the meeting which took place today, despite the fact that under existing rules the party leader has an automatic right to be at all NEC meetings.

nickc

anti-lesbian homophobe

double negative…surely?

molgrips
    Free Member

Actually mol, we have found the sweatpsot give or take a few p in the £

But that’s based on public opinion, isn’t it?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

No, on the rather unfashionable foundation known as facts/emipirical evidence albeit with some degree of error around the exact p in the £.

footflaps

No, on the rather unfashionable foundation known as facts, albeit with some degree of error around the exact p in the £.

Pray tell, what facts?

footflaps

@footflaps even I didn’t acuse the Labour Party of being overrun

Yes you did…

My accusation is that the problem with anti-semitism is endemic in the Labour Party.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/ken-livingstone-steps-in-to-calm-antisemitism-row-in-the-labour-party/page/17

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Hmm, lets see…how about the relationship between changes in tax revenue earned and change in marginal rate of tax….the clue is in the name “elasticity” and loads of work done on it and quoted many times in the past.

Much more reliable that dear old Henry B and uk based too!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member
    footflaps

Hmm, lets see…how about the relationship between changes in tax revenue earned and change in marginal rate of tax….the clue is in the name “elasticity” and loads of work done on it and quoted many times in the past.

Hardly a fact, it’s a hypothesis from a widely discredited economic model….

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Oh I see, good job our tax collectors don’t make any reference to it.

It’s not a model by the way – its a simple concept, but dont let that worry you.

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

@thm…er yes. Policies do not act in a vacuum. I know your an economist but even you should understand that… 🙄

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

very true evb and hopefully they dont act in an evidence vacuum either

mefty
    Free Member

He is on the ballot.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Probably the best outcome. A legal challege would have been a disaster either way it worked out

footflaps

It’s not a model by the way – its a simple concept, but dont let that worry you.

Yes, if you chose to believe that the economy is a simple open loop system, with no feedback loops; then yes you are 100% correct. Well done, go to the top of the completely irrelevant economic model class.

very true evb and hopefully they dont act in an evidence vacuum either

Well, please provide the evidence; we’re waiting patiently….

nick1962
    Free Member

Jezza on the ballot!

cranberry
    Free Member

.. and Labour has just ****ed up the **** up in the brewery.

mefty
    Free Member

Jezza on the ballot!

Indeed – good to see Robert Peston calling it wrong again. He is as bad at Politics as he was at economics.

scotroutes

Will anyone even bother to stand against him?

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Hopefully a split and the loony left can go off on their merry way into oblivion 😉

5thElefant
    Free Member

So, will the 190 mps join the liberals or form I can’t believe it’s not labour?

Viewing 40 posts - 6,481 through 6,520 (of 21,377 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.