Viewing 40 posts - 6,441 through 6,480 (of 21,377 total)
  • Jeremy Corbyn
  • jambalaya
    Free Member

@theteaboy this was discussed extensively at the time of the original leadership election. Senior party figure after senior party figure spoke of their experience of huge support from the party faithful but not from the wider electorate – this being a strategy that was totally pointless in their opinion

Principled opposition is what the Green Party do, to absolutely zero effect.

mrhoppy

no one could lead a party acting as this bunch have.

He’s let it get to this position though. He came in with a large mandate from his electorate, early doors he could have laid down his ground rules and enforced them. But he’s let the internal opposition in the plp gain confidence to the point he’s lost control, all through his weakness. He might not like it but when you’re leading sometimes you have to lay down the law.

No the press hasn’t been particularly interested but his job is to go out there and make them have to report on things. If he was being difficult and causing problems for the government they’d be reporting it. It’s all a bit IDS ‘beware the quiet man’, and that turned out well.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Ok if you think that is ludicrous name your wager for the vote outcome ?

If we are talking a GE then £100 🙂

Obviously I hope he does stay Labour ‘leader’.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I think its worse than that
    I think the PLP is blairte and way to the right of the membership
    they don’t like what the members have chosen so they have chosen to undermine him to make him lose their support. When this failed they have tried to remove him from the ballot It a coup attempt basically as the PLP tries to assert it “right” to supremacy over the members

Whether corbyn I awesome or shit is not the issue he is the members choice and the PLP cannot juts ignore this and act like this. if they cannot respect the members wishes they need to leave not usurp them /the leader in this way.
    Win in a ballot …..put up or shut up basically

molgrips
    Free Member

So if they do ask him for 50 MPs, and he doesn’t get them – then what?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Does the party want to be principled opposition (but unelectable by anyone outside the party hardcore) or electable but slightly less principled (to appeal to the masses)

A competent party should be both – especially if they expect to be running the country in the future.

Why is this so difficult?

1. It was never intended that he would be leader
    2. He didn’t want the job
    3. He’s not very good at it
    4. There are obvious alternatives – oops, sorry take it all back.

As you were…

Junkyard
    Free Member

In latest news neither ernie nor myself have become Tories since may became leader in waiting

Who was your favourite Labour leader then THM 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

A good party should be principled and then persuade others that they are right.

After all, the Labour message – help the poor, help the working classes, invest in public services and so on – shouldn’t be a particularly difficult concept to sell, should it?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Indeed mol, and remind me what happened to the core labour vote in the last election?

theteaboy
    Free Member

molgrips – Member

After all, the Labour message – help the poor, help the working classes, invest in public services and so on – shouldn’t be a particularly difficult concept to sell, should it?

Maybe not but the Tories did a stunningly effective hatchet job on the government spending and undermined voter confidence in any Labour economic policies.

Labour seem to have responded to that by not actually having any economic policies.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Labour seem to have responded to that by not actually having any economic policies.

In the world of posttruthpolitics who needs actual policies? And economics??? Just look north of the border….

No one worries about reality, only rhetoric.

theteaboy
    Free Member

No one worries about reality, only rhetoric.

They could at least pretend.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

yS
    Trump
    Brexit BS

…and the lessons are?

see the link that kimbers posted to the Guardian today (i think) and google the FT’s view on this 😉

theteaboy
    Free Member

jambalaya – Member

Principled opposition is what the Green Party do, to absolutely zero effect.

And Labour under Corbyn, it seems, to similar effect.

Edit: And it seems that the party members are happy with that.

mefty
    Free Member

Gosh, 17-15 vote to have secret ballot at NEC, assumption is anti Corbyns want secrecy so he wont get on ballot automatically.

ctk
    Free Member

On WatO today the chap who wrote the Labour Party leadership election rules was saying Corbyn needs 51 nominees. A lawyer came on and said he really doesn’t. The rules seem pretty clear to me, IMO he doesn’t need any nominees.

mefty
    Free Member

Corbyn told to leave room, refuses.

binners

The Labour Party is playing an absolute blinder here at looking the like the most incompetent bunch of ****-wits ever to grace the political stage. The legacy of this utter debacle is that whoever ‘wins’ is going to look so utterly incapable of organising a piss up in a brewery that nobody would vote for them to run a ****ing bath, let alone the country.

Footage of the present NEC meeting just released…

mefty
    Free Member

The rules seem pretty clear to me, IMO he doesn’t need any nominees.

That’s my reading but apparently the NEC have an overiding right to amend the rules, which they can claim justifiable in view of the no confidence vote.

dragon
    Free Member

I actually think it is more difficult than you think, particularly in England where a larger % of the population work in the private sector.

The better message is this party will ensure a secure country in which people can grow the economy and so everyone has opportunity and is better off.

molgrips
    Free Member

yS
    Trump
    Brexit BS

…and the lessons are?

I got in huge trouble for suggesting that which you are insinuating.

duckman

Yay,THM is getting in the digs at Scotland! Remember,we aren’t interested in economics up here,we just hate the English.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

If you say so duckie – i was actually referring specifically to the yS strategy, but feel free to generalise if appropriate, you will know better than me.

dazh

4. There are obvious alternatives – oops, sorry take it all back.

This is the real problem. The blairites, comfortable in their hubris and arrogance, thought they’d cracked the problem of governing forever, and populated the PLP with a bunch of careerist, principle free, obedient automatons straight from an Oxford debating chamber. Then they asked them to run the country. When the likes of Cooper, Balls, Burnham, Reeves, Miliband and the like proved to be completely out of their depth and unable to inspire anyone other than a guardian hack, the party faithful turned to someone who actually had something to say about the state of the world and how it affects normal people. He may say it in woolly language and look a bit unkempt, but at least he had something to say, unlike the rest of the idiots banging on about ‘aspiration’ and ‘changing the narrative’.

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

Hilarious some are trying to stop JC being on the ballot paper…what does that say about democracy and even worse..what do they think their role is if it’s not to be serving their supporters interests/wishes…you couldn’t make it up… 😀

jambalaya
    Free Member

Secret ballott – definitely not in JC’s favour

No one is stopping him standing, he just needs 50 MPs or even MEP’s – he could be saved by Europe 🙂

nick1962
    Free Member

Why does he need 50 MPs to nominate him now when he is in post and there isn’t a leadereship contest but only needed 30 last time when there was? Rules seem a bit odd.

Garry_Lager

Are they really trying to lawyer him off the ballot paper? What a gang of shithouses – just grasp the nettle and put him to bed fair and square.

molgrips
    Free Member

I actually think it is more difficult than you think, particularly in England where a larger % of the population work in the private sector.

Well that illustrates my point. It’s got nothing to do with public vs private sector employment. The private sector has a lot of low and middle income people who aren’t self employed or entrepreneurs, and everyone uses public services.

Most people support the taxing of the filthy rich businesses and people for spending on public services, I’m sure. So how come no-one wants to make that manifesto commitment?

The Labour party hasn’t been able to get its message across for years. Blair’s message wasn’t nt really one of Labour.

martinhutch

This is really going to liven things up.

5thElefant
    Free Member

ost people support the taxing of the filthy rich businesses and people for spending on public services, I’m sure. So how come no-one wants to make that manifesto commitment?

Because most people know it doesn’t work.

mefty
    Free Member

Why does he need 50 MPs to nominate him now when he is in post and there isn’t a leadereship contest but only needed 30 last time when there was? Rules seem a bit odd.

Not sure he will need 50, 50 applies to challengers, 30 odd when there is a vacancy. If he resigns then he would reduce his requirement to 30 odd immediately.

mefty
    Free Member

Most people support the taxing of the filthy rich businesses and people for spending on public services, I’m sure. So how come no-one wants to make that manifesto commitment?

Courageous.

molgrips
    Free Member

Because most people know it doesn’t work.

Cos most people have fallen for Tory bullshit. Impressive, isn’t it?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Or they understand the concept of tax income elasticity, perhaps?

Even labour in power got this until they set their little trap for their Tory friends

dragon
    Free Member

Hardly see what happened in France recently.

IME a lot of people start getting twitchy with tax rates greater than 50%.

nick1962
    Free Member

“We vote when we go to the poll
    And think we have final control
    But really we dance
    To the tune of finance
    We have pawned ourselves body and soul.”

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

Tax income elasticity…is that the thing you call it that makes people rich whilst child poverty remains static, increases food bank need, closes spaces for learning, increases the numbers of suicides etc etc..is tbat what you mean @thm…people knowingly vote for that and it’s called income tax income elasticity…I call it it something else…

outofbreath
    Free Member

“I call it it something else…”

Laffer Curve.

outofbreath
    Free Member

“ii: Where there is no vacancy nominations may be sought by potential challengers each year prior to the annual session of Party conference. In this case any nomination must be supported by 20% of the combined Commons members of the PLP and members of the EPLP. Nominations not attaining this threshold shall be null and void.”

I can only read this as the sitting candidate requires no nomination and no 20pc support. Only challengers require it. I’m amazed there’s a debate about it.

Viewing 40 posts - 6,441 through 6,480 (of 21,377 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.