Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 108 total)
  • "it's really quite intimidating on here"
  • wwaswas

posted on the ‘how long you been on stw’ thread.

Has left me a bit disqueited somehow.

Don’t like to think of people joining in a rush of enthusiasm and then feeling unable to post in case they trigger a maelstrom of infighting from the regulars.

I love riding bikes and talking about them and to see people feel excluded by the ‘atmosphere’ on stw isn’t a good thing. Think I’ll make an effort to be more positive in my posts (unless there’s a lawn that needs mowing…).

errm, that was it really.

Hohum
    Free Member

It can feel like the wild west in here at times.

RealMan
    Free Member

Rule #5

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    coffeeking
    Free Member

Intimidating? MTFU
    How can anyone feel intimidated posting on an anonymous internet forum? Some people need to have their bumps felt.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I’ve got around feeling intimidated by creating an entirely seperate internet persona.

Harry_the_Spider

There are a few wannabe Gripper Stebsons on here. Once you’ve worked out who the ****s are and stop going for the bait it is a much better place.

wwaswas

I’ve got around feeling intimidated by creating an entirely seperate internet persona

ftfy 😉

GrahamS

Rule #5

“You don’t waste good.” (NCIS, Season 8 ep 22)

Kuco

It can feel like the wild west in here at times.

I was thinking more like play school.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

There’s more than one way to skin a cat.

DezB
    Free Member

There are a few wannabe Gripper Stebsons on here

Wannabe being the operative word! In reality they are the Pogo Pattersons.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

At least the STW forum doesnt show post counts. That helps a lot in creating a friendlier atmosphere.

RealMan
    Free Member

There’s more than one way to skin a cat.

50, to be precise.

http://popechuck.tripod.com/nonpope/skinacat.html

xherbivorex
    Free Member

i was talking to a lad up at lee quarry a couple of weeks ago who said a similar thing; he’s newish to biking but reluctant to register because of all the stupid bickering and arrogance on here.
    tbh it’s not that hard to just ignore it all though, despite the fact there is more than a little bit of it here lately. but as HtS says, you quickly learn who/what to take no notice of!

mazz
    Free Member

As a long time lurker and a very infrequent poster I would comment that it can sometimes appear to get a little unpleasant with some of the comments made.

However tis the t’interweb. You can choose to ignore/not contribute.

angryratio
    Free Member
    Mark

Many of the regulars on here DO intimidate new users. This is a common complaint we receive and can simply be attributed to a lack of respect for other users. Typically the negative impact on this forum can be traced back to the users who frequently trot out the argument, ‘It’s only the internet. It’s not real’ as some kind of excuse for being deliberately argumentative and negative. Anyone who thinks that insulting someone on the internet is in someway actually NOT insulting is not welcome here and will find we will target them and moderate them more than other users. These users think that their sense of humour is universal and that if you are insulted or offended by them that you ‘just don;t get them’. They are often backed up by other users who will say, ‘But in real life he’s really nice.’ This IS real life. If you insult or offend someone on the internet then you have insulted or offended them in real life. These people need to think carefully before they post. These types of users have a measurable negative effect on the forum and discourage others from joining in. These types of people are not welcome here.

I’ve already gone through this thread and ‘cleaned it up’. If you notice your post has gone then you know I’m talking about you.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Don’t take the internet too seriously

On a more serious note…

It does feel like the atmosphere has changed on here of late. Maybe the last 6 months it’s been steadily going down hill. NOt really sure why, but it is helping me to be more productive.

Mark – my post was a joke. I hope an obvious one. But it’s your forum and there’s no way I’d think about telling you to shut up.
    Edit: Infact, if I’m one of the destructive users, just delete my log in. So it goes.

DezB
    Free Member

I think someone is trying me to call me gay on a sports photography thread. I’m not intimidated, but I am a little irritated.
    Irritated that he thinks that is how the thread needs responding to, rather than to post a pic. Just another pillock.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

well said mark.
    it amounts to bullying, whether the keyboard warriors think it’s not “real” or not.

scaredypants

should be remembered that somebody else, on the same thread, said “Most of you are ****”
    (**** = whiny middle-class cockbags, I think)

xherbivorex
    Free Member

i get irritated by the whole “baby robin” thing, seeing as it was me that originally posted a photo of one asking what it was and it’s dragging on and on 2 years later! the same annoying people reel it out every time, but there’s no point in saying owt because i’ve seen what the aftermath of that kind of thing looks like. as i say, it’s bullying. nowt else. and it’s not nice.

stevemtb
    Free Member

I’m fairly new on here and haven’t felt intimated once.

The old school are really going to have to try harder as I now feel excluded from the intimadation!

Do tend to ignore most of the arguing but some of it can be pretty funny.

binners

*hangs head, kicks shoes, and considers himself thoroughly told off*

Sorry. Never meant it 🙁

GlitterGary
    Free Member

This IS real life.

😆

I find that the people who think they’re ‘right on’ and God’s gift to the Internet are the biggest bullies on here. But I don’t lose sleep over it, after all, it’s only a bike forum on the Interweb.

kaesae
    Free Member

There does seem to be a more belligerent atmosphere in the STW community as of late.

I don’t take it too seriously and just insult ignore the people who try and have a go.

There are a lot of good people in the STW community and some very funny stuff going on.

That said, if all you can contribute to the community is shit, you can bet your last quid, YOU’RE AN ASSHOLE!

KINGTUT
    Free Member

This IS real life.

Foe some on here, it appears to be the only one they have.

fbk
    Free Member

Definitely agree with what Mark says.

It’s very easy to hide behind a keyboard and just assume everyone has the same “sense of humour”, or just create arguments for something to do, ignoring the effect it may have on others (especially those new to the forum thing).

almightydutch
    Free Member

Told off too for what i would class as very tame. Ho hum.

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

It’s true that there is a terrific amount of pish generated on here BUT, it’s a good palce to come for an argument.

A newbie to STW earlier today.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Well said Mark

gwj72
    Free Member

should be remembered that somebody else, on the same thread, said “Most of you are ****”
    (**** = whiny middle-class cockbags, I think)

Me! 😀

Well remembered. Gold star. Extra 10 points if you correctly guess what **** was.

In all seriousness, it *sounds* like the mods have **** all sense of humour to me. As I already said prob my last day posting today because I’ve got work to do next week.

nickf
    Free Member

I think the hammering that some folks get here is extraordinary – the banking chap who made a relatively innocuous post being a good example – and as a result I take note of who I discuss things with. Not that I can’t hold my own, simply that there are those who I think it’s not worth engaging with.

There are others who simply poison a thread – again, if I see them, I tend to walk away. There’s just no point discussing things with idiots, particularly if they’re a zealot, a troll, or have been known to use the Edinburgh Defence.

heywayne
    Free Member

I’m new here, so too early to comment – but past experience has taught me that cocks are cocks wherever they show up.

duffmiver
    Free Member

I only ever visit this forum to experience the fighting. If I want to read about mountain bikes I go elsewhere…

user-removed
    Free Member

xherbivorex – Member
    i get irritated by the whole “baby robin” thing, seeing as it was me that originally posted a photo of one asking what it was and it’s dragging on and on 2 years later!

Wow! Honestly, I’d be proud (sad but true) – I guess it all comes down to how you perceive the post. I don’t think for one second that anyone types “baby robin” with the intention of being anything other than humorous, and am also sure no-one types it to get at you. But I do understand it might grate a bit if you were the original author.

Baby wombles have been making a poor showing recently I notice.

binners

as have bi-curious muslim swans

yossarian
    Free Member

xherbivorex – Member
    i get irritated by the whole “baby robin” thing, seeing as it was me that originally posted a photo of one asking what it was and it’s dragging on and on 2 years later!

really? REALLY?

i’ve used it a couple of times on here. I had NO IDEA it was anything sinister. We also use in it my office from time to time. I’ll tell the blokes to stop.

EDIT: just told ’em, the repsonse is ‘ok, princess’ 😀

joolsburger
    Free Member

What tyres for internet intimidation?

IanMunro
    Free Member

i get irritated by the whole “baby robin” thing, seeing as it was me that originally posted a photo of one asking what it was and it’s dragging on and on 2 years later! the same annoying people reel it out every time, but there’s no point in saying owt because i’ve seen what the aftermath of that kind of thing looks like. as i say, it’s bullying. nowt else. and it’s not nice.

As a long time poster of ‘baby robin’, I apologise wholeheartedly for any offence caused. I, and I’m guessing the majority of the other users, aren’t even aware of the original source of it now, and that it would be causing offence. I have to say I’m quite surprised that the use of it can be construed as bullying though. Sure, I can imagine some people might find it irritating, but could you explain to me why it’s not nice and is bullying as I genuinely don’t see it, but would like to hear your point of view.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 108 total)

The topic ‘"it's really quite intimidating on here"’ is closed to new replies.