Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 108 total)
  • "it's really quite intimidating on here"
  • bikebouy
    Free Member

If you say this place is worse of late, does that mean I as a relative knewb here are a perpetrator..

Me thinks not, I’m nice me..

Deffo not intimidated, nope not ever.

I did think the Ugly Mini thread was hilarious.

But that Teachers on strike thing was just borish boring rant by lefties and righties.. Dull as.

Cougar

the Edinburgh Defence.

You’re going to have to explain that one.

(That is to say, you don’t have to do anything, but I’d like you to. If that’s alright. Love and kisses, Cougar.)

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Topical Books:

Correct if wrong: The Edinburgh defence is where you argue seriously and just as you “lose” the argument, pretend you were trolling/joking. I forget who coined the term…

nickf
    Free Member

Cougar, I can’t work out if you’re serious?

On the assumption that you are….. there have been a fair number of occasions on STW when someone argues a point, repeatedly and vociferously. They are then proven to be either factually incorrect or it’s shown that there’s no logical or supportible basis for their stance.

At this point, said person then says “ah, I was only joking/I was only raising this clearly preposterous argument to see if you’d bite”. Equally clearly, this last remark of theirs is utter b*&^ocks, and the volte face is purely an attempt at credibility-retention.

One of the people most noted for this lives in Edinburgh, hence the name.

gwj72
    Free Member

I’d literally piss myself if this thread turned into an argument.

ChrisL

Nicely said, Mark.

People seem to react to Internet forums in two ways. Either they’ll just type whatever first comes into their heads and hit send without a second thought, tending to produce emotional posts. Or they’ll type something, read over it, think a bit more, edit it and continue faffing with it until it either says what their considered opinion is or they decide that it isn’t worth posting, so tending to produce more intellectual posts.

I suspect that people who react and post quickly don’t realise how other people could interpret their posts. Once you get a few people reacting quickly, emotionally and disproportionately to each others’ posts then it can rapidly get out of hand.

RealMan
    Free Member

No you ****ing wouldn’t, you’d figuratively piss yourself. Learn some ****ing English.

😉

ChrisL, I think you’re forgetting the third kind, the people who think long and hard about how to make a post that will wind people up the most.

xiphon
    Free Member

I reckon we should setup a boxing ring at the next bike event – and let the ‘usual suspects’ slog it out.

============================

In all seriousness, people to seem to develop an alter-ego online. Either they are very close in personality to the ‘real’ them, or the complete polar opposite. By using the anonymity of the internet, they become keyboard warriors ready to take on the world, knowledgeable on all bike topics and vastly a vastly experienced athletic rider.

In reality, they’re too overweight and unfit to even swing a leg over their shiny new Five which has been sitting there untouched for 5 months.

I find it quite amusing, some of the outbursts that people have, ranting and raving at each other. Almost like toddlers fighting over a toy.

Also, when somebody starts a controversial thread (“Superstar brake pads – are they any good?”), it makes me smile when people post “I’ve put the kettle on, who wants one?” knowing it’s going to be a long thread….. often ending up in bashing from someone to someone else… How many people read STW for the ‘entertainment’ as opposed to bike related technical information/posts? Me for one…

Having met quite a few people from various forums in the flesh, it’s very difficult to put their face (and ‘real life’ personality) to their online ego – especially if they’re known to get a little hot under the collar.

Cougar

Cougar, I can’t work out if you’re serious?

I get that a lot. (-:

It was a genuine question. Cheers for the info.

xiphon
    Free Member

nickf – thanks for the info, now I know what it means 🙂

STW does seem to be the worst forum I’ve been on for people who are looking for something to get all offended and indignant about.
    You only have to post some personal opinion, like “I prefer bridleways to trail centres” for someone to come back with “What’s wrong with trail centres, ? No ones forcing you to ride them.”

binners

RealMan – you never know. Perhaps he would literally piss himself. He might be doubly incontinent. He might even poo a bit too 😉

Frankenstein
    Free Member

10 years on here and I thought I’d seen it all.

Take STW with a pinch of salt.

Although I miss the days when it was ultra friendly back in 2001 and banter was the worst insult, now everyone has to be ‘right’ or wind someone up.

It’s a crap forum like any other forum – so don’t take it seriously 😀

BadlyWiredDog

I’d never say anything on the net to someone that I wouldn’t say in real life, but I’m increasingly reluctant to post here because I’m frankly tired of the negativity and petty nit-picking attacks that some people seem incapable of refraining from.

I’m pretty much the same in real life as I am on here, I think most people who’ve met me would confirm that. I don’t really get why people who feel the need to adopt some aggressive, chippy, online persona then will barely open their mouth when you meet them in real life.

‘I’m much nicer in real life’ always strikes me as a bizarre thing to say. Like Mark says above, this is ‘real life’ in the sense that you’re interacting with real people with real feeelings and emotions. And no, the whole intermittent ‘love in’ thing doesn’t make up for the negative crap that permeates a lot of threads on here.

MrsToast
    Free Member

It’s a crap forum like any other forum – so don’t take it seriously

I much prefer the Singletrack forum to other biking forums – I generally find the atmosphere is a lot friendlier and a lot less laddy.

Although perhaps it’s because I have a much higher tolerance for middle aged IT workers having handbag sessions than teenage gnar-meisters having handbag sessions. At least the massively abusive posts on here still manage to be reasonably eloquent! :p

derp
    Free Member

I already have in anticipation.

binners

There is a lot of petty bickering on here. But its mainly tongue in cheek. Maybe sometimes the sarcasm and humour gets lost a bit in all the miserable curmudgeonlyness (is that a word?).

On the other side of the coin, if your after advice on routes, parts and … whisper it… tyres, then frankly this is the best place in the world.

And having been out riding with loads of people on here, I can say that it attracts some rather marvelous people

So there!!

xherbivorex
    Free Member

Wow! Honestly, I’d be proud (sad but true) – I guess it all comes down to how you perceive the post. I don’t think for one second that anyone types “baby robin” with the intention of being anything other than humorous, and am also sure no-one types it to get at you

ha, can’t say that i’m proud (one of my mates is the original author of “own him with some bombers”; now THAT’S something to be proud of!) but also i certainly don’t see the continued use as being a dig at me.

As a long time poster of ‘baby robin’, I apologise wholeheartedly for any offence caused. I, and I’m guessing the majority of the other users, aren’t even aware of the original source of it now, and that it would be causing offence. I have to say I’m quite surprised that the use of it can be construed as bullying though. Sure, I can imagine some people might find it irritating, but could you explain to me why it’s not nice and is bullying as I genuinely don’t see it, but would like to hear your point of view.

nah, you’re getting me slightly wrong there; i’m not in the least bit offended by it, it’s mostly just boring and tiresome that it still gets reeled out, that’s all, and simply an example of how there are some people on here who aren’t worth interacting with.
    i suppose they’d probably say the same about me; that’s fine, i doubt i’m missing out on anything!
    the bullying thing wasn’t meant to mean the actual “baby robin” part but was in reference to what happens when someone on here actually responds to what they perceive to be a dig at them; the aftermath i mentioned. they get ganged up on by the usual suspects.
    hence why i said i never bother saying owt basically. not worth the grief.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

There is a lot of petty bickering on here. But its mainly tongue in cheek. Maybe sometimes the sarcasm and humour gets lost a bit in all the miserable curmudgeonlyness (is that a word?).

On the other side of the coin, if your after advice on routes, parts and … whisper it… tyres, then frankly this is the best place in the world.

And having been out riding with loads of people on here, I can say that it attracts some rather marvelous people

So there!!

100% agreed!

tazzymtb

As binners has said, for bike,roue and general helping folks out with information it can be a top place. I don’t really understand the “internet persona” thing that some folks use just be yourself it’s easy with faceless strangers as they don’t have expectationas unlike friends and family

cynic-al
    Free Member

Who wants a headlock then?

😛 etc

I’m nice now…

deluded
    Free Member

I reckon some of the worst offenders post whilst ‘in drink’. That is to say they do a lot of drink-typing! As a result their posts lack temperance, sense and on occasions – charm.

Of late, I’ve noticed one or two of the more garrulous or opinionated contributors mellowing out somewhat and have wound themselves in a bit.

STW still remains a source of constant entertainment for me and amongst the dross there are some really fantastic glimpses of genuine wit and insightfulness.

binners

Damn! Too late to edit. So….

Hora – if you’re reading this, then NO, I’m definitely not including you in the “Marvelous people’ reference. You a complete ****!!

And this weekend I’m going to tell all the Welsh people I meet that you were dissing their hills. Saying they were gay ‘n stuff. Then I’m going to give them your address. And a pitchfork 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

Oh and proper LOL at “the Edinburgh Defence” – did it not previously have another name?

bikebouy
    Free Member

If you want bickering and backbiting and stabbing in the dark and burning and general spurned keyboard hacks then get yerselves over to:

CyclingNews..

Enter the Clinic..

And fill your poisoned veins with turgid venom.. That place stinks.

This is like riding through Bluebells man.

C’mon, there have been some cracking threads on here. Some of you lot now ride together having met on here (MWAxxxx) and the MM an no doubt BBB threads will be full of gossip and bikes and beer and pies, just how it should be. There are some inspiered photo threads, techie nerd stuff, general “help me out” stuff..

At least there are a fair few of you that actually ride a bike, you can tell that bit a mile off..

Who mentioned Tyres…?? Oh it’s you at the back again eh..

tonyd

Some of the more vocal and opinionated members are a bit tiring and sometimes it’s hard not to bite, but it’s generally easier to ignore them than get upset or dragged into an argument.

Unless they’re particularly offensive or regularly trolling I don’t think banning them is very fair though. If folks are that bothered about it why not add an ignore <member> option? There could even be a report page where you could see who was the most ignored – that would allow everyone to enjoy the forum in peace and give the gobshites something to aim for 🙂

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

“internet persona”

*whispers to Tazzy* I don’t, this is me, I jsut chat BS, claiming a persona is just another example of this *Shhhhh*

Cougar

There are a couple on here who are just wind-up merchants. That’s ‘vocal minority’ syndrome though.

Most of the rest of the arguments seem to be of the form where someone expresses an opinion, someone else misunderstands it as a statement of fact and tells them they’re wrong, and it all snowballs into tedium.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I have to say the wind-ups genuinely entertain me, as it does when folk have proper strops.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

I hope for the sake of mankind, that everyone is a wind up merchant on this forum.

Most of the posts on here can’t be serious, can they?

Harry_the_Spider

Al, you’re no Gripper. You and TJ are like Tucker and Benny.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I take that as a compliment – Tucker was well cool.

tazzymtb

TSY I’ll find out what you are really like when I drag you into the deep dark secret bits of cannock

Solo
    Free Member

gradually…. I’m only wanting to post when I can write something positive.

I now believe I can spot a likely flame-up just by reading the title of a thread, along with knowing what some of the regulars on here are like.

So then. I just don’t go there. Theres plenty other threads of a nicer atmos.

Generally, these days if I can’t have a good chat, or a bit of a laugh, I’d really not bother posting at all.

When someone trys to flame me, I just laugh it off.
    Its the **** inturdnets, innit.

Have a good weekend all.
    I will probably be working 🙁

So I may drop in for some weekend shift action

Don’t be intimidated. Just join the nice threads.

😀

Solo
    Free Member

OOoh !.

STW have auto stars now for low level swear words.

How space 1999

perthmtb
    Free Member

As a relative newcomer to MTB I’ve joined a number of forums over the last few months and asked advice. I did feel intimidated by STW at first, but I stuck it out, and learned to be careful which threads I got involved in. I’m glad I wasn’t put off, as it’s turned out to be the most useful, and most entertaining of all the forums I’ve joined.

It also makes me cringe the most, and I’d like to remind some of the apologists for antisocial behaviour that knowing whether something is just harmless fun or a real insult only comes with experience as you learn the ‘rules’ and context of the community. And, as others have said, an unwarranted insult or abuse is no less intimidating because it is online. It is, unfortunately, easier to do because of the anonymity and lack of repercussions with online communications versus a face-to-face interaction, but that doesn’t make it any more acceptable.

Personally, I try and carry over the same tone and attitude I would use in a face-to-face communications, to my online ones. However, I realise I may soon be in the minority, as a whole generation grows up with the values (or lack of) in online communications being the ‘norm’. Scary!

njee20
    Free Member

I generally stick to the bike forum, which tends to be far more ‘high-brow’ and on-topic. It appears the chat-forum can be a rather more intimidating place.

I have no idea what this ‘baby robin’ malarky is about though!

Scamper
    Free Member

There is some really good bike advice and some seriously funny stuff on here, but the `recession thread’ last night was a good example of why I think twice about posting anything in the Chat Forum.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I think the hammering that some folks get here is extraordinary – the banking chap who made a relatively innocuous post being a good example – and as a result I take note of who I discuss things with

I assume I am on your list then [ i had a go at the banker] …oddly I tend to agree with most of what you say but you did call me homophobic on more than one thread for saying Elton John was not the best person to be a father as shown by him failing the adoption test here. IIRC your proof was the fact I denied it.
    I thought the banker made his point very poorly and it was ambiguous tbh but his better worded explanation was fine. ..not really sure why you would single that out tbh as it ended in an agreement/accord/truce from all sides.
    Interestingly I am not sure why your use of the edinburgh defence or further explanation of it is not unfair or bullying tbh. I suppose you think it is accurate an I think it was accurate to accuse the banker I think this just shows we all have different thresholds and lines in sand for offence and banter tbh.
    I think lots of the heavy stuff occurs because folk have crossed swords on numerous threads and tend to know who respects who and who seems to hold a grudge. Much of it is just banter IMHO thought it takes a while to realise this and get a feel.

nickf
    Free Member

I thought the banker made his point very poorly and it was ambiguous tbh but his better worded explanation was fine. ..not really sure why you would single that out tbh as it ended in an agreement/accord/truce from all sides.

Not having a go at you personally, more the general “attack the banker” tone of the thread as a whole.

I thought the point made was clear, and given that the OP was asking how people were surviving the recession, the comment that someone was doing OK was entirely reasonable. I took note of the response and then decided not to post.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 108 total)

The topic ‘"it's really quite intimidating on here"’ is closed to new replies.