Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Is taking a CX bike to Edale in the Peak District madness?
  • montag
    Free Member

morning,

I’ve been to Edale a million times walking, but have never been on the bike. We’re off there in a couple of weeks to do a spot of cycling, currently debating wether to take the CX bike or the hardtail.

I walked some of the penine bridleway last weekend, and that woudl be OK on the CX, but I’m not sure what the going is like around rushup edge/mam tor and around.

Thoughts?

AlexSimon

It’s doable, but it’s hard to know whether you’ll find it fun.
    Jagger’s clough is pretty good – then up to Win Hill is nice too. The direct route from hope cross to Hope is also perfectly rideable.

It makes things like the broken road fun and the gravelly tracks above cavedale/pindale that aren’t usually.

But there are definitely a few tracks I wouldn’t do.
    Jacob’s
    Chapelgate (not enough gears to go up and no fun down)
    Cave Dale

MrNice
    Free Member

you can always run around carrying it – isn’t that the point of cx bikes?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    crazy-legs

I ride mine there regularly. Chapel Gate has been sanitised and although it’s no fun going down (way too fast and gravelly), it’s all doable as a climb.

Jacob’s going up is mostly a push/carry anyway, regardless of bike although I wouldn’t do it going down (done it once, never again!)

But yes, most stuff round there is fine. Sometimes you’ll be faster than on an MTB, sometimes a lot slower.

montag
    Free Member

yeah it’s the fun element that worries me slightly. Getting up the climbs generally isn’t the bit that worries me (I’m a 10st road racer), it’s having fun on the climbs rather than hammering away from everyone, not to mention the DH sections that worrys me!

I might just take the hardtail.

GregMay
    Free Member

Depends what you want to do doesn’t it.

MTB will make some bits more fun. CX bike in carry mode will make some bits more accessible…not that you’d ride those bits….ahhem.

AlexSimon

There is definitely some fun to be had on the climbs on a CX bike.

But I tend to do them in order to bring a bit of novelty to rides I’ve done a lot. As you haven’t ridden them, taking the hardtail makes a lot more sense.

Frodo

In short …no

It would be horrible, take the hardtail.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Hardtail, definitely

If you only had the CX bike then yes take that and ride a suitable route.

FWIW Classic Edale/Mam Tor/Jacobs loop on a CX. Road ride to bottom of Hollins Cross climb which is generally a push up for us mere mortals anyway. The bridleway from Hollins Cross to Mam Tor is semi-paved. Rushup Edge will be a carry on a CX unless its very dry. The descent to Pennine Bridleway from Rushup would be just about rideable (shame as on a HT it’s excellent). Ride/climb via South Head to Jacobs would be ok with a few sections pushing. Jacobs rocky descent would be a non starter I would image which is a crime. Link back to Edale on the road.

discoduck
    Free Member

I did the big loop on Sunday, it’s pretty wet over the back of Jacobs Ladder round to Kinder, the bogs have re appeared and it’s doubtful they will dry out again this year, up to the shooting lodge is also saturated,

The climb up there (shooting lodge)and the descent would be doable, as would south head to Roych Clough, and the climb up to right of the track, some would be a push, it depends on your ability, if you have walked it a lot as you say then you know the routes, I’d take the CX bike, there were a few out up there on Sunday.

Miserable bastards though ! But they were out. The MTBers were in much greater spirit although it was quite sloppy.
    Friendly walkers as usual in that part of the world.

It will be different, but you have to if you have one.

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

Think you will have greater flexibility of route choice with a hard tail. Especially if you don’t know the tracks that well.

Paul

crazy-legs

I’d take the CX bike, there were a few out up there on Sunday.

Training for the Three Peaks CX innit. 😉

Think you will have greater flexibility of route choice with a hard tail CX. Especially if you don’t know the tracks that well. Means you can add in some road stuff too to broaden your options.

FTFY.

montag
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies. Solution is….take both!

Specific to the miserable CXers, I’m yet to understand how anyone can be miserable on a bike (except triathalets of course :D)

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

Means you can add in some road stuff too to broaden your options.

Just think of the ‘training effect’ when you pedal harder on the MTB 😉

AlexSimon

Specific to the miserable CXers, I’m yet to understand how anyone can be miserable on a bike (except triathalets of course :D)

I don’t get it either. I’m constantly surprised at what my CX (and me) can tackle and what can be great fun.

montag
    Free Member

I don’t get it either. I’m constantly surprised at what my CX (and me) can tackle and what can be great fun.

I’m always surprised how grippy the narrow tyres. The gearing can be an issue, but I’d consider myself a pretty good climber so it doesn’t seem to matter *that* much.

dazh

‘m constantly surprised at what my CX (and me) can tackle and what can be great fun.

Recent convert to CX here, and I’m finding this too. I’ve not yet done a huge amount on the CX bike but I’ve been around some of my regular MTB routes and have yet to find anything I can’t do as long as I take my time.

simonbowns
    Free Member

Either would be enjoyable, but really quite differnt. I’ve had some proper good times on the CX around teh valley, but not as fast descending as on the mtb!

Have you got ideas/plans of where you’d like to ride? Pop in the shop (18 Bikes) if you’d like a natter over a map

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Is taking a CX bike to Edale in the Peak District madness?’ is closed to new replies.