Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 106 total)
  • Is my road stem breaking roadie fashion rules?
  • feenster
    Free Member

I got a bike fit session with my road bike after suffereing back stiffness and fatigue on long rides. One of the mods was stem flipped to get bars higher, so it now angles up, rather than horizontal, and looks a bit twee to me. As I’m not a roadie by trade, I’m not so tuned in to roadie aethstitics and fashion rules. So, is my stem positin now in the same bracket as chain guards and kick stands as far as coolness goes?

Incidently, what a difference the mods made – first ride out, 70 miles, about 20% of the fatigue and stiffness in my lower back, and much stronger on seated climbing.

Sancho
    Free Member

I think you are making judgements about roadies based on views expressed in forums, if the bike fits you then no one will care.
    Or comment or even stop to think about it.

wwaswas

what a difference the mods made – first ride out, 70 miles, about 20% of the fatigue and stiffness in my lower back, and much stronger on seated climbing

I’d stop worrying about how your stem looks 😉

other answer is to get a bikw ith a longer headtube so you can achieve the same position with a flipped/slammed stem.

damitamit
    Free Member
    jota180
    Free Member

I have one stem flipped MTB style and on another bike it’s the other way

Both bikes fit me well, that all I care about

RealMan
    Free Member

I got a bike fit session with my road bike after suffereing back stiffness and fatigue on long rides.

When I first read this I thought you’d got a bike fit cause you were getting tired on long rides lol.

If everyone was capable of slamming it wouldn’t be cool. At least you tried.

feenster
    Free Member

I know I should stop caring how the stem looks, and I’ve no intention to change back.

IMO riders in all genres have rules, spoken or otherwise about what looks right and wrong for that niche of cycling. I don’t think roadies are better or worse than any other. Look how upset downhillers got with skin suits…

Anyway, tell me more about this slammed stem thing? For some one who is tuned in to that look, what does it say to them about the rider?

shortcut

Yes – fashion says slam it.

But – far better to keep it where it is!! I am in the same situation!

fourbanger
    Free Member

I don’t get it.

RealMan, weren’t you seen running a few spacers and a positive rise on your road bike?

aracer
    Free Member

Yes. The uncoolness will slow you down far more than any back pain – get it sorted.

RealMan
    Free Member

Maybe years ago when I first got a road bike and didn’t know better.

No prizes for guessing what happened.

wwaswas

No prizes for guessing what happened.

someone commented on the weeds under your fence?

RealMan
    Free Member

😀

Not really my fence though.

fourbanger
    Free Member

Maybe years ago when I first got a road bike and didn’t know better. No prizes for guessing what happened.

Someone pulled you up on using SPD’s on a road bike and breaking the rules with your bar tape/saddle combo?

RealMan
    Free Member

Someone pulled you up on using SPD’s on a road bike and breaking the rules with your bar tape/saddle combo?

Oddly enough you’re right there. However, there’s still nothing wrong with spds on a road bike, IDK where people get that from. Also bar tape is now bright green. And there’s a different saddle on there (that was just a temp thing off my bmx).

feenster
    Free Member

I’ve got spd’s on my road bike too, and ride in my mtb shoes. Does this mean I was un-cool all along? What other roadie fashion crimes am I inadvertently commiting?

RealMan
    Free Member

The Rules

SPDs are fine. Mtb shoes.. grey area. As long as they’re not like fivetens or covered in mud, you’re probably ok.

aa
    Free Member

nick craig did the sydney olympics road race with spd’s and a peak on his helmet.

and nick is cool!

feenster
    Free Member

….And does this explain why no serious looking roadie has ever returned my greetings out on the road? 😉

trickydisco
    Free Member

nick craig did the sydney olympics road race with spd’s and a peak on his helmet.

That must have really helped him 🙂

HermanShake
    Free Member

After a “let’s see your road bike thread” most of the STW road bikes had their stems set to faux pas.

It’s better to be comfy and ride faster/for longer than to strain yourself for the approval of a snob. As said you could change frames to keep your stem flipped, but that’s a bit daft 🙂

Unless your bike’s fancy and you’re wearing the ‘right’ kit the snobs will probably judge anyway.

fourbanger
    Free Member

Simmer down buttercup. I’m all about what works on my road bike. Balls to the rules.

But if you are going to spout shit like:

If everyone was capable of slamming it wouldn’t be cool. At least you tried.

Then perhaps you should make sure you’re 100% compliant.

Mmmmmmmkay?

fourbanger
    Free Member

Rule #34 // Mountain bike shoes and pedals have their place.
    On a mountain bike.

SPDs are fine. Mtb shoes.. grey area. As long as they’re not like fivetens or covered in mud, you’re probably ok.

More top advice from a STW cycling expert.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’d only ask two questions about this.
    A) Can you ride longer – Yes
    B) Do you enjoy your riding more – Yes (it seems that way from what you’ve written.

Therefore You’ve made the right decision haven’t you. And them rules, who really cares about them except proper roadie snobs.

aa
    Free Member

The “rules” are bullshit. I know it’s a bit of fun, but, really just go and ride your bike.

If you slam your stem, your bike might look cool, but you’ll look a dick with your belly banging your shins.

NC might not have finished the olympic rr, but he earned his place there, mtb shoes and all, he’s still faster than probably everyone on here! 😉

crikey
    Free Member

I think I’ve only ever met Realman who thinks it is in any way important, and even he doesn’t really take it seriously.

Get comfy, ride loads. Your position may change over time anyway, initially as you become more able to ride in a road position, then as you realise you can go lower or stretch out more, or that you are comfortable and efficient exactly where you are.

It’s not about what the bike looks like in the car park, unlike certain other two wheeled hobbies.

aa
    Free Member

btw, I am a roadie!!! 😆

MrSmith
    Free Member

It’s better to be comfy and ride faster/for longer than to strain yourself for the approval of a snob.

it’s better to have flexibility to get lower and go faster with less effort and still be comfortable.

If you slam your stem, your bike might look cool, but you’ll look a dick with your belly banging your shins.

that’s depends if you have a belly, those without a paunch will not be banging their shins.

feenster
    Free Member

Thanks for the rules – fascinating.

Current failure points:

No frame-mounted pumps.
    Spare tubes, multi-tools and repair kits should be stored in jersey pockets
    Shave your guns
    Mountain bike shoes and pedals have their place (On a mountain bike.)
    No visors on the road.
    Never ride without your eyewear
    Slam your stem
    Slide your saddle back.
    Espresso or macchiato only.
    Ditch the washer-nut and valve-stem cap.
    The Ride Starts on Time. No exceptions.
    Never Get Out of the Big Ring
    No Food On Training Rides Under Four Hours

njee20
    Free Member

if the bike fits you then no one will care.

Meh, I do (it does look a bit crap), but I’m an elitist snob. 😉

The Rules – whilst very firmly tongue in cheek are pretty accurate I reckon!

SPDs on a road bike is a no though RM.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Espresso or macchiato only

for the urbane roadie a piccolo or ristretto is perfectly acceptable.

aracer
    Free Member

SPDs on a road bike is a no though RM.

Even single sided ones?

(note the stem position 😉 )

feenster
    Free Member

nice bike, appears compliant, but note the following advisory:

Rule #26//Make your bike photogenic.

Valve stems should be at 6 o’clock

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I ride my bike to break my legs not my back.

if your that bothered get a fork with a longer steerer tube.

feenster
    Free Member

if your that bothered get a fork with a longer steerer tube.

Not an option:

Rule #45// Slam your stem.

A maximum stack height of 2cm is allowed below the stem ….

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

my results

No frame-mounted pumps. – no a mini
    Spare tubes, multi-tools and repair kits should be stored in jersey pockets – nah small saddle bag.
    Shave your guns – been there once, not again
    Mountain bike shoes and pedals have their place (On a mountain bike.) – or my road bike (white shoes)
    No visors on the road. – agree
    Never ride without your eyewear – agree
    Slam your stem – nope horizontal with spacers
    Slide your saddle back. – no its just right
    Espresso or macchiato only. – reg italian black
    Ditch the washer-nut and valve-stem cap. – yes but by accident
    The Ride Starts on Time. No exceptions. – yes agree
    Never Get Out of the Big Ring – often a SS so no choice
    No Food On Training Rides Under Four Hours – unless in the pub

MrSmith
    Free Member

No frame-mounted pumps. – no a mini
    Spare tubes, multi-tools and repair kits should be stored in jersey pockets – yes.
    Shave your guns – for racing only or riding on the continent.
    Mountain bike shoes and pedals have their place (On a mountain bike.) – flashy white/silver/black disco slippers are compulsory.
    No visors on the road. – agree
    Never ride without your eyewear – agree
    Slam your stem – yes, 1 small spacer above headset stem flipped down
    Slide your saddle back. – no, get a bike witht the correct seat angle/top tube.
    Espresso or macchiato only. – see previous post, artisan roasted beans and no lifting little finger while drinking.
    Ditch the washer-nut and valve-stem cap. – cap yes, washer no.
    The Ride Starts on Time. No exceptions. – yes agree
    Never Get Out of the Big Ring – no, spin for the win.
    No Food On Training Rides Under Four Hours – no. eat little and often on the move, no stopping at all apart from at the end of ride for espresso.

njee20
    Free Member

Even single sided ones?

They’re just about acceptable. These ones would be better:

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Egg beaters must be OK – especially if they say Look on them?

jimification
    Free Member

Look at it this way: with a higher stem you’ll be able to spend more time on the drops as they’ll be more comfortable too.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 106 total)

The topic ‘Is my road stem breaking roadie fashion rules?’ is closed to new replies.