Home Forums Bike Forum Is my Garmin 810 deaded?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Is my Garmin 810 deaded?
  • r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Morning folks, just wondering if anyone has had this problem before…

It’s a fair few years old and I can’t remember where I bought it from.

I used it on a ride last night, it worked fine. I placed it on charge overnight like I normally do. I turned it on this morning and it sync’d to my phone which included adding and removing some Strava segments. It then switched itself off after about 10 seconds.

Now, each time I turn it on. It turns itself off after 5 seconds or so. I’ve plugged it into the computer which turns it on and displays the charging screen like normal but whenever I turn it on when it’s unplugged it just turns off again…

I’ve head Garmin do some re-furbed units if you send them your old one. Anyone have any experience of this?

Cheers

scotroutes

When plugged into the computer can you see it as a connected drive? If so, you could try deleting any routes, tracks, segments in the event there is a file corruption.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I posted about a similar issue with my edge 500 yesterday. It got wet a few weeks ago and hasn’t been right since really. Switches itself off randomly and stays off, switches itself off then turns back on again, freezes. Its been really bad this week so I wonder if its something to do with the latest software update.

I did a factory reset yesterday but it didn’t help.

I contacted garmin yesterday so I’ll see what they have to say. The unit is about 4 years old but I’d rather not bin something that may be easily fixed.

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

I’ll have another look tonight to see if my computer recognises it as a drive or not. I had a look this morning and it wasn’t recognised but that’s nothing new, it’s a bit temperamental like that sometimes

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I had some problems when mine went flat and I tried starting it again. It ended up with some corrupted files, I copied what I could formatted it and copied the files back, bit drastic and you want to know what you are doing and looking for.

andysredmini
    Free Member

Mine did this randomly one ride. I googled the factory reset instructions and reset it and it it’s been fine since.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Try taking the SD card out and restarting.
    I think a factory refurbished unit was about £82 on the Garmin UK site the last time I checked. I think they have a 3 month warranty.

You may have better luck getting an answer here: https://forums.garmin.com/forumdisplay.php?362-Edge-810

scaled
    Free Member

mine did that after it had killed an SD card, it was alright after I put a new card in

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

I tried the 3 button reset which didnt help. I started it up without the SD card in too and that didn’t help either.

I’ve e-mailed Garmin to see how much a refurbed unit would cost if I can’t get it working again.

Bugger

andysmiff1
    Free Member

Mine did exactly the same two weeks ago before I set off for a century on the road bike.

Turned on/off about 5 times before I set off.

Quick factory reset/wipe worked out ok, then 1/2 mile from home it switched off!? Managed to recover data by plugging into PC so didn’t lose the ride, and have ridden since with no issues, but a bit worried it’s on it’s way out.

How old is yours? Mines 18months.

EDIT – and a mates one has done the same within the last month – turned off mid ride 3 times.

A

Dibbs
    Free Member

If you go to this site and fill in the details, you’ll get a RMA number to send you old 810 back for replacement, the price is £82.80 for an 810.

https://my.garmin.com/rma/en-GB/repair/repairLanding

Dibbs
    Free Member

EDIT – and a mates one has done the same within the last month – turned off mid ride 3 times.

A few people on the Garmin forum have been experiencing this with the latest Firmware 5.10, it may be worth rolling the firmware back to 5.00

andysmiff1
    Free Member

Might give that a go – was the first time I’ve had issues with it!

Must admit – hadn’t noticed it had done a firmware update.

Typical garmin……..

A

Jase
    Free Member

I’ve had a 500 re-furb unit, think it was £70ish and was basically like a new unit.

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Just to update – got home from work and plugged it into my comp. Managed to access it as an external drive and delete the new segments. Good as gold now.

Cheers all

scotroutes

You’re welcome

milky1980
    Free Member

Mine started playing up with the segments too, would go mental then shut down if you were near a segment start but went another way. Best was at the FOD where it crashed when I did the red – had the blue as a live segment – and shut itself off. Restarted it and recorded the second part of the ride fine but thought it was done 50-odd years in the future :lol:

Switched segments off and did a hard reset and it’s been fine since. Keep on getting a reminder to update the software every time I sync it via the phone but there’s no way I’m taking the risk of Garmin’s software bods screwing it up.

andysredmini
    Free Member

I think I have cursed my garmin by saying it has been fine since I had a similar problem and performed a reset a few months ago. The POS crashed this morning when I pressed the save button after a ride and I lost the data. It did the same repeatedly afterwards when experimenting.
    I have just noticed the connect software on my phone has auto updated. Coincidence? I doubt it.
    Congratulations to garmin again for being useless.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Is my Garmin 810 deaded?’ is closed to new replies.