Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • iOS 8.1 on iPhone 5. How's it doing?
  • Three_Fish
    Free Member

I’ve been holding off from updating as there seem to be a lot of problems for folk – battery life, wifi/3G dropping in and out, random crashes.

So how are fellow 5 (not 5S, thanks) users finding it? TIA

Drac

Never had an issue, works great.

iPhone 5.

bencooper
    Free Member

8.1 solved all the problems I had with 8.0.

peteimpreza

No issues here.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

No issues here either.

Jamie
    Free Member

Copy and paste is still a bit of a mess.

….mainly on this site, tho. Given the wonky foundations this place is built on. It might be a STW, rather than an iOS, issue.

Cougar

It’s wrecked both my OH’s iPhone and iPad Mini.

Rang O2 yesterday because she’d to keep enabling / disabling 4G to get a reliable data signal and because the MMS option was greyed out. They had her reset settings, lo and behold it started working.

Soon as she got off the phone it started locking up hard / spontaneously rebooting. Ended up doing a factory reset on it (when she finally got to the menu option before it rebooted again). Following that it was better but still unstable, a second round of ‘reset settings’ and – touch wood – it seems to have sorted it out.

It’s now better than it’s ever been. So, anecdotally from a sample size of “one” I’d suggest trying a factory reset followed by a reset of settings. Make sure you’ve got an iCloud backup first, of course.

Might have to try the pad next.

jambalaya
    Free Member

You’ll be fine. There is an argument for waiting a little while after each major iOS release, I upgrade immediately but that’s a choice

slackalice
    Free Member

Mine still works as a telephone, so all fine here too 😀

zokes
    Free Member

And, the 4S?

It took a while for iOS7 to be patched enough for my 4S to actually function smoothly again…

GrahamS

8.0 did okay on my 4S, only major bug I saw was the Copy Paste weirdness (selections going mental, things not going onto the clipboard, or going onto the clipboard but only for that app).

8.1 seems to have helped. I also did a Reset Settings and a Full Restore as well which may also have helped. Magically regained a couple of gig of space as well.

Copy Paste still has major issues but other than that it seems okay.

Note: I have it set to Reduce Motion, plain black background, Perspective Zoom off. Speed seems fine.

bland

im still on 5, whats the difference?

GrahamS

im still on 5, whats the difference?

Far too long to list here but this might help:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_iOS

Most immediate difference would probably be that a bunch of your apps will likely have improved versions that you won’t get on iOS 5.

singlesteed
    Free Member

Funny that recently done the update a few days ago to then find my battery playing sillybuggers!

My battery has been fine up until ios 8.1!

Also some shortcuts added to homepage are not logo’d and are blank.

To add again also some use freezes the handset whilst on wifi periodically or maybe that was the UPS crappy site!?

But sending txts has got quicker much so which is a bonus!

Other than that can’t really fault it, apart from wanting/needing a 6 plus

GrahamS

Also some shortcuts added to homepage are not logo’d and are blank.

That happens when you’ve saved “web apps” (i.e. web pages not real apps) as home screen shortcuts and then you do a restore. It basically just loses the icon for the web app. If you follow the shortcut it will re-appear.

singlesteed
    Free Member

I tried following shortcut but still nothing!?

GrahamS

Hmm okay, that worked for me, maybe a different problem then.

I’d try a full restore and reset that seems to cure a lot of ills.

hooli

No issues for me either, if anything it seems battery life is a bit better and phone a bit quicker.

rocketman
    Free Member

^^ 🙂
    No real issues but the battery life seems a bit worse and the phone is a bit slower

Since iOS 7 the phone in particular seems to have lost its way with increasing reliance on tiny but important symbols and swiping actions. Ok if you’ve grown with it but nowhere near as intuitive as it used to be

mrblobby
    Free Member

Copy and paste is still a bit of a mess.

….mainly on this site, tho. Given the wonky foundations this place is built on. It might be a STW, rather than an iOS, issue.

Found this too on this site with iOS 8.1 and an iPhone 6. Do you get the flickering juddering selection thing?

GrahamS

Yep, that’s the one. Selections jump about a bit while you’re making them and occasionally freak out, flickering between two possible blocks of text.

I also sometimes get a bug where it gets stuck scrolling up and keeps scrolling even when I’m not touching the screen. I usually need to kill Safari to get rid of that.

Gary_M
    Free Member

All the issues I had with the original update have been fixed with 8.1, but I still only see ‘2014’ photos in Collections and I have no clue how to get previous years back.

Oh yeh and I also get the weird copy/paste thing but only on this site.

GrahamS

PSA: 8.1.1 is now out

Supposed to specifically address performance issues with older hardware.
    I’ve installed it and nothing exploded. Can’t say I notice any difference so far on my 4S, but then I didn’t think it was going slow anyway. YMMV.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

apols for the slight hijack, but anyone know if there is a procedure that replicates the ‘ctrl f’ in windows for finding certain words in a body of text on the iphone??

Jamie
    Free Member

If we are talking on a web page, then:

Tap in the search/url field in Safari.

Push the screen/page up, if you can’t see the option due to a high amount of returned search results, and you will see it says: “On This Page (x matches)

Hit the Find “your word”.

…then you can scroll through all instances if it appearing.

Edit: Here’s a crappy gif:

Kryton57

Not so good on my iPad mini. Every now and then the safari page gets “stuck” and I cant type or click on hyperlinks. It takes some finger waving or minimise maximise to make it alive again. Sometimes randomly when typing in the search field it pops away and leaves a totally blank screen. You wait a few seconds, tap the screen and the search results appear.

GrahamS

Is that even with the new 8.1.1 update Kryton?

vorlich
    Free Member

I’ve just been ranting about how shit both Yosemite and IOS8 are. Functionally, some nice ideas. But both buggy releases. Lots of niggles adding up to a shite experience overall. iCloud keychain? Shite.

Jamie
    Free Member

I’ve just been ranting about how shit both Yosemite and IOS8 are. Functionally, some nice ideas. But both buggy releases. Lots of niggles adding up to a shite experience overall. iCloud keychain? Shite.

While I am in no way as much as a fanboy as Graham, who will deny there are any problems with Apple software*, it’ll probably help if you mention the issues you are having. Maybe someone could help?

* 😉

Edit: Some things never change, tho. Although, still not sure if this is a STW or iOS prob, as don’t really C+P on other sites.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXY5tBRRAEg[/video]

singlesteed
    Free Member

Still freezes every now and again on 8.1.1

Has slightly improved crashing apps snd battery percentage going peculiar readings when charging and after.

Copy and paste works on other sites am sure but most of the time on here does not…?

GrahamS

Yep still getting the selection weirdness here too. Can’t see anything particularly unusual in the Singetrack layout that would cause this so I think it is a general problem.

(Also I’m not a fanboy 😛 )

Kryton57

GrahamS – Member
    Is that even with the new 8.1.1 update Kryton?

*checks* ah ha, no – I shall do it and report back.

santacruzsi
    Free Member

My 5s has been fine since the ios8 update but my iPad 2 I wanted to chuck out the window! It was a useless paperweight. Thankfully iOS 8.1.1 makes it more usable and quicker than it was on 8.0.

toppers3933
    Free Member

I had no issues with 8.0 on my 5. It was fine. I’ve updated to 8.1 and not noticed any difference. I’m, I’m not helping much am I?

oldnick

8.1.1 seems to have sorted some issues on my 4s which 8.1 caused – yay!

CountZero

GrahamS – Member
    Yep still getting the selection weirdness here too. Can’t see anything particularly unusual in the Singetrack layout that would cause this so I think it is a general problem.

(Also I’m not a fanboy :P)
    Well, this is the first time I’ve tried it since upgrading a bit earlier, but I’m now running 8.1.1, and just tried c’n’p and it seemed to work perfectly on my Pad. Can’t speak for the phone, it’s upgrading now, but I don’t use it for stuff where I need to c’n’p very often, so I honestly can’t say if there’s been any issues. The phone’s a 5, but issues like wifi that seem to have bothered some people I haven’t noticed. Well, other than my BT broadband just dropping away to nothing for no apparent reason, but it’s always been like that, even with fibre and their whizzy new router. 🙄
    I’ll keep an eye on it, see how it goes.
    I had found a sort of workaround but it was still pretty shonky, so if this latest upgrade has fixed it, then great.
    It is only on here that it’s been an issue, btw… 😉

vorlich
    Free Member

Jamie, amongst other things, like iOS Safari hanging/ reloading tabs. iCloud keychain has been nothing but bother for me. It used to work, but now I get incessant password popups and requests to authenticate on another device/use code, if I choose authenticate on another device, nothing happens, if I use the code, it sends me an SMS which never arrives. I’ve signed out across iphone/iPad/macbook and back in without any change. I’ve given up.

While I’m ranting, Apple sort out the **** ambiguous ios shift key FFS, it was perfect before! 😡

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘iOS 8.1 on iPhone 5. How's it doing?’ is closed to new replies.