• This topic has 19 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Euro.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Interior car bike rack for £31:99 – Fits any car (with headroom for bikes)
  • piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

In a moment of inspiration, I have created a dirt cheap easily removable rack for transporting 2 bikes upright inside a car. It’s also usable as a rack outside the car as well 😀

I reserved one of these from Halfords. I dare say you could probably find them cheaper somewhere else, but it was close by and seems fairly solid and not too heavy

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_216953_langId_-1_categoryId_242557

Once I got it home, made some precision adjustments with a long handled mass accelerometer* to the width of the upright bars to accommodate fat MTB rubber and stuck it in the rear of the car, secured by a couple of bungie cords

Untitled by -Cheesyfeet-, on Flickr

Bungie length and position will depend on your car

Then, it was seat down on the bike (Reverbs are Sooooooo useful!), front wheel out and into the rack

2nd June 2013 by -Cheesyfeet-, on Flickr

Additional bungie added to bars to make the whole thing rock solid.

A good result of a total time investment of 45 minutes (which included going to get the rack!)

*yes, I ****ed it with a hammer 😆

robdob
    Free Member

That’s quite a good idea. I assume your car is an MPV type vehicle? Wonder if it would work in my Astra estate?

thepodge
    Free Member

I’ve yet to try getting my bike in my Clio, I’d love this to work but I can’t see it

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I’ve got an S-Max, so a fair chunk of space in there

pop-larkin
    Free Member

I assume the weight of a couple of bikes would negate the faffing of the bungees?

456mocha
    Free Member

This sure beats coughing up for a roof rack + bike holder (x2) or a whole tow bar assembly plus light board. 🙂
    I now have a MK 1 C-MAX which apparently is unsuitable for all rear mounted cycle racks!

Plenty available on Amazon too but check the tyre width 1st.

mandog

Been looking at those. Will a Maxxis 2.5 inch tyre fit in there?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

or for £15 here!
    Cheaper version

456mocha
    Free Member

“Been looking at those. Will a Maxxis 2.5 inch tyre fit in there?”
    That’s what the hammer’s for! 😉

Three_Fish
    Free Member

A tennis ball with a bar-sized hole in makes an excellent device for preventing your bar-end from putting out the side window.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

The weight of the bikes keep it pretty well planted, but the bungy stops it moving around on roundabouts, etc. I’ve running some comically large Fat Alberts and they fit in, but are ‘snug’, but only after the hammer was deployed!

456mocha
    Free Member

Can one of these be fashioned from a couple of old QRs and some timber?

photo source:
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_920677_langId_-1_categoryId_242557

proflexforever
    Free Member

ive got a W reg Audi A3 and i can fit three people and three bikes in the boot…stacked up side by side…
    dont think you really need one of these if youve got a car that size….
    Well done though..

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Wanted something easy and faff free. Also wanted something that can cope with Maxles and QR’s with no faffing.

Yes, can stand bikes up in the back anyway, but this stops them moving about, scratching paint, etc. Will get a proper road test tomorrow on the 4 1/2 hour drive to C-Y-B

spooky_b329

Looks good, though I’d upgrade the two bungees to a single ratchet strap, hook it round the rack, under the middle seat and back up the other side. Much better chance of holding the rack in place and stop it jumping about, and would also stop it moving out of place when trying to squash an oversized tyre into the rack from the boot end.

Suggsey
    Free Member

I too will be getting one of these set ups for my Caddy Maxi Life 🙂

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

but this stops them moving about, scratching paint, etc.

Looks nice and all that, but here’s an idea off the top of my head, just chuck them in with some old sheets/curtains/cloth in between. If you lay them down, they don’t move about.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Looks nice and all that, but here’s an idea off the top of my head, just chuck them in with some old sheets/curtains/cloth in between. If you lay them down, they don’t move about.

Been there, done that. Does work to a degree, but the still move about. The rack also gives plent of floor space to stick bags, helmets, shoes, etc in ro make it a rattle free journey

DickBarton

3 people and 3 bikes in the boot? They don’t make A3’s like they used to!!! 😉

Euro
    Free Member

Have you had 3 bikes in there yet? I can get 3 bikes in the passat estate no bother, but the middle bike has to go in backwards as it’s only wide enough for two sets of bars. Looks like you’ve a bit more headroom so shouldn’t be too much of a headache except for the 3rd guy who has no seat.

edit: it’s only for two? I was tricked by image

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Interior car bike rack for £31:99 – Fits any car (with headroom for bikes)’ is closed to new replies.