Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 201 total)
  • Intense Tracer or Turner 5 spot frame?
  • hora
    Free Member

Ok, this is what I’m looking for:

Circa 6inch travel.
    Lightish frame- upto 7lb max.
    Low bottom bracket (low-slung weight to reassure me). This is worrying as the Tracer is supposed to be quite ‘high’ at almost 14”? 😮
    Able to take 160mm forks within warranty.

Should I also look at the Intense 5.5?

wrecker
    Free Member

INtense 5.5 doesn’t like 160mm forks according to Intense.
    I’ve had a 5.5 and have a DW spot. The DW spot is a good bit better however you can get 5.5’s very reasonably as they’re no longer made.
    I’d look at the Tracer 2 if keen on an Intense.
    Otherwise get a Yeti SB66 or Knolly Chilcotin depending on your preference on uphill/downhill performance.

sambob
    Free Member

Mojo HD160?

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Intense are hit and miss on the frame alignment front….

Stopadoodledoo
    Free Member

Why don’t you just stick with your SX or get a 2011 Enduro, so when you invariably change your mind about it in 2 months time (or claim that it feels ‘dead’), you won’t have spunked as much cash away?

Sure, the SX is heavy but you push up most hills anyway

hora
    Free Member

Sambob you continue to work hard academically, I didn’t so can’t afford a Mojo 😉

wrecker
    Free Member

That medium 5.5 will be far too small for you anyway.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

SC Blur LT2 – 6.6lbs. 160mm forks are part of the standard build options so within warranty. Or a Nomad at 6.97lbs which will take up to 180mm forks.

If you are flush with cash the LTc weighs 6.0lbs or the carbon Nomad 6.06lbs.

Not sure why you would want a low BB on a bike that takes 160mm forks? If you need that much travel surely you want good ground clearance so you can get over stuff?

bluebird
    Free Member

Intense are hit and miss on the frame alignment front….

What he said. Intense frames can ride very well, but the QC is iffy to say the least. I’m not saying don’t get one, but check the frame for alignment thoroughly before handing over your cash.

binners

If you buy the same bike as mine I will seriously physically damage you.

I’m not joking either

Onzadog
    Free Member

Having owned an Intense (2 off) and a Turner, Turner every time (simply because it’s not broken and I’ve been trying for 6 years).

MRanger156
    Free Member

I’m in a similar position and am thinking:

Transition Covert
    Orange Alpine
    SC Butcher
    Commencal Meta AM
    SB66 if I had the money

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Turner all the way. You get a good warranty and a straight frame.

hora
    Free Member

Riding the SX up mam tor then mam tor old rode I cursed the 10lb frame weight and 2.5 supertacky tyre…

Saing that if it was a large frame I’d have been happy as larry’. A medium had me over the front too much 🙁

Binners I would not buy a lady-blue intense frame 😉

Kryton57

I own a Tracer.

Look for 2010 frames, they are corrected with regard to the “breaking” rear triangle, and the alignment issue shouldnt be there.

V strong frame with excellent riding abilities and build potential, will go to 160mm fork as standard & has the 1.5 headtube to boot.

If your buying new, The Tracer 2 is a better bet, but you’ll pay for it of course.

tomaso
    Free Member

Mate has just bought a 5 spot to replace a Yeti and he is very happy with it.

Stopadoodledoo
    Free Member

Did you leave the High Roller Super Tacky on that James gave you in Morzine? No wonder it was hard work, you buffalo headed freak.

nick1962
    Free Member

Rides well and looks great IMHO ,(the tubes are a work of art )and half the price of the others.Brant never seems to be off his….
    Works well with air shocks/fork for All Mountain riding and just as well with coil for more heavy duty riding
    I can’t believe that these haven’t all been sold yet…no idea what the warranty is now it’s with On One

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FRTITELGALURS/titus-el-guapo-frame-and-monarch-shock

geetee1972
    Free Member

Hora did you now fancy Infidel’s Yeti 575?

You could add the Nicolai Helius AM to your list. I’m coming up to the Peak on the weekend of September 3rd. If you’d like to have a go on my AM I’d be happy to let you.

hora
    Free Member

Yip I’m really looking forward to getting that beast off

brant
    Free Member

There will be a used El Guapo going on on-one soon. As I just got my first 2012/2013 sample built 🙂

Really like them.

hora
    Free Member

Quality comment from another forum that I came across (5 spot or Epifanny)

If impeccable build quality, unmatched customer service, and a superior ride and feel are even the slightest bit important to you…then this is a one bike list.

If none of that matters to you, get the Ellsworth

Gee’ its the carbon sections in the rear-stays that worry me.

Johnbot
    Free Member

I own a tracer, 160mm up front and want for no other bike.

hora
    Free Member

Johnny? Your a seriously capable rider whereas I’m nervous/need a slacker/reassuring frame plus the 5 new at 999 isn’t far off a used Tracer…

Bought and collected 🙂

vondally
    Free Member

if you are looking for a ‘bbig bike’that will climb a bit and then descend

Yeti ASR7 really misunderstood really stable bike and techinically a great climber
    Titus …..had the supermoto and it was great el gaupo lighter but still as good
    Maverick ML8 outstanding climber, great singletrack and forest

All cheap in comparision to Tracer but

Personally not got on with DW links but
    Turner 5 class bike

Intenses I had in the day tracer/uzzi broke enough said,

HAd a Blut lt mk 2 did not like at all and bought it being a heckler and santa cruz fan

I would have liked to had a g on
    Ventana el terromoto and
    Knolly…car park rode one thought it was intresting.

Digger90
    Free Member

Hora – if I’m reading your post right, welcome to the world of Turner ownership. I’m on my sixth Turner now. I’ve bought, ridden, and sold plenty of other bikes alongside them, but they are always something special.

Post some pics up when you get it.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Oh god. Does this mean I have to sell mine now? 🙁

hora
    Free Member

Digger collected and built. Just need a post-post rear brake adaptor and saw off part of the front mech then fit.

Scienceofficer classifieds ——————————>

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

What did you get?

wilsonthecat
    Free Member

I assume with the post to post adaptor and front mech comment, its a Turner DW 5 spot

ajr
    Free Member

All new 2012 Ventana El Ciclon.

hora
    Free Member

All new 2012 Ventana El Ciclon.

Will it be £999? :mrgreen:

£999!

geetee1972
    Free Member

Hora that’s amazingly cheap for a new 5-Spot.

It must be the ‘old’ geometry right, i.e. before the slackened things off a little?

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not suggesting there is anything wrong with the ‘old’ geometry; just that it might explain why it’s so cheap.

hora
    Free Member

Not sure but with 160mm forks it’ll slacken it anyway.

traildog
    Free Member

Personally, if I was a slower nervous rider that you say you are (and perhaps I am), I wouldn’t got for a 160mm travel machine as they scare the s–t out of me. Bikes like this are very fast.

hora
    Free Member

Its a bicycle not a Grandnational-bred steed 😉

lowey

They are the 2010 models. They need to be ridden hard to get the best out of them. Mince on this frame and it will bite you. (speaks from harsh experience).

Vortexracing

Get one bought at that price.

Especially as they are in the nicest colour they do.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Yeh, watch out.

Turner 5 spots can be terrifying to ride, especially if you arent an experienced bike handler. I think alot of 2010 5 spot riders train on motocross bikes, as they’re the closest thing in terms of ride and feel. They are like nothing else.

I’m only kidding!

Its just a push bike, I imagine it will ride very similarly to all the others.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

hora – Member
    Not sure but with 160mm forks it’ll slacken it anyway.

And you can always slacken it by a further 1.5 degrees with a HAS if you feel the need.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 201 total)

The topic ‘Intense Tracer or Turner 5 spot frame?’ is closed to new replies.