Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • if the world stopped spinning…
  • DickBarton

…would we loose gravity? What else would happen? No tides? No day into night into day? No weather?

Off work unwell and clearly my mind is needing some interaction.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

The world would separate into two warring factions. Those who suffer with S.A.D. And those who don’t.

EDIT: Actually that’s horseshit, sorry.

big_scot_nanny

Iirc the biggest issue might be that the earths core was no longer spinning either and thus not creating the protective magnetic field around the earth. We would all then instantly frazzle.

Irrefutable science excellence there based on holywood movies and 1st year uni physics. 😆

HTH!

keV

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I go spinning 3 times a week at the moment. If I miss a day I get a bit crotchety, I can’t see it being much different for the world.

chiefgrooveguru

One side of the earth would get very hot, one side would get very cold. Gravity and magnetism would be fine.

speaker2animals

Weather would be changed, as stated tides/day night. How quick is it going to stop? If it was an emergency stop inertia would probably mean the vast majority of land animals (and possibly sea animals) would be killed as they were flung into solid objects.

Gravity has absolutely NOTHING to do with spin, it’s caused by any solid object. Bigger the mass the greater it’s gravity well.

dandelionandmurdoch
    Free Member

We would all then instantly frazzle.

Not sure if the magnetic field would be affected, and if it were, the frazzlin’ would not be quite instant: the solar wind would gradually strip away our atmosphere, á la Mars. Then we’d be in the poo poo.

the vast majority of land animals would be killed

Polar bears and penguins should be ok (same rotational speed as everyone else, but much lower speed compared to all those equatorial jaguars and that).

Interesting idea, OP!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Water wont whirl down the plughole any more. Weather systems will be radically different. If it’s sun synchronous then one side will always be dark and barren.

RealMan
    Free Member

Interestingly enough, if the world stopped spinning, everyone would weigh slightly more (unless you were standing at one of the poles).

This has nothing to do with your mass, nor gravity.

But yes, one side would get hotter and one side very cold. The cold side would be freezing, uninhabitable. I’m not quite sure how hot the hot side would get though. I wouldn’t think stuff bursting into flames hot, but maybe. I imagine there will be a few lucky places that are in the perfect position and just have a nice warm steady temperature for the rest of time (until the sun dies).

Water wont whirl down the plughole any more.

Can’t see the thinking behind this.

dogbert
    Free Member

i remember reading some in-depth reports about this before.

Apparently if the earth stopped spinning suddenly, we’d all be ripped apart by the sudden stop in inertia……or something……I was a bit tipsy while reading it and can’t be bothered looking for it again

wrightyson
    Free Member

Ive a feeling travelling at around 700 mph to a dead stop is gonna definitely have some inertia issue somewhere, the earth certainly aint using cheap pads to achieve that stopping power!!!

RealMan
    Free Member

Apparently if the earth stopped spinning suddenly, we’d all be ripped apart by the sudden stop in inertia……or something……I was a bit tipsy while reading it and can’t be bothered looking for it again

I think if it stopped near instantly, everything would suddenly be hurtled east(?) at ~1000mph.

chewkw
    Free Member

Well that means you need to travel to the other part of the world to sleep …

wrightyson
    Free Member

At the equator yup, further north or south you go it reduces to a speed of nowt directly on the poles axis. I think. However I am just a builder and may need to stick to reading the sun!

Cougar

Water wont whirl down the plughole any more

The whole water swirling and hemispheres / the coriolis effect is an urban myth. What makes water swirl is standing currents in the water caused by disturbances when you poured the water in from the taps and such. The coriolis effect is real, but the force is tiny in comparison. The only way it’d affect the way the water goes down a plughole is if you could make all the water in the sink stand still first, which is … left as an exercise for the reader.

RealMan
    Free Member

At the equator yup, further north or south you go it reduces to a speed of nowt directly on the poles axis.

Yeah.

Pieface

Planes on conveyor belts would suddenly start taking off all over the world

STATO
    Free Member

The only way it’d affect the way the water goes down a plughole is if you could make all the water in the sink stand still first, which is … left as an exercise for the reader.

The water in our sink and bath do it, they drain really slowly so water is practically at a standstill. So not really a myth then?

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Actually if one face of the earth continually faces the sun – the earth will rotate exactly 1 a year. Much like the moon rotates once a month. If the earth isn’t rotating at all then the of the sun will be gradually spread around the earth.

If the earth ce to a dead stop – then it’s momentum would completely pull it apart.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Well if you’re prepared to wait, you’ll find out. The world is slowing down gradually ……… as I discovered the other day whilst watching TV when Attenborough told me that during the period of Snowball Earth, the world spun much faster – a day was only 6 hours long.

If the earth isn’t rotating at all then the sun will be gradually spread around the earth.

So one day will be one year long then ? …………….it’s gonna be a long wait ’til the weekend 😐

ahwiles
    Free Member

one side of the earth would get hot … blah blah blah etc.

water would stop draining anticlockwise in the northern hemisphere blah blah blah etc.

we’d still have tides, cos the moon moves around the earth every 28 days
    hang on, do you mean ‘stops spinning’ so that one side faces the sun forever, or ‘stops spinning’ so that one day lasts 1 year…?
    cos that will affect things…

but as pointed out above, angular velocity means that objects at the equator can be thought of as moving at around 1000 mphish, (decreasing to zero at the poles).

if the earth stopped spinning, there would be a few crashes here and there.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Yep – 1 day will last a year!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

If the world should stop revolving spinning slowly down to die,
    I’d spend the end with you.
    And when the world was through,
    Then one by one the stars would all go out,
    Then you and I would simply fly away

. 😯
    70s popsters – Bread

ononeorange

If the world stopped spinning the mint sauce key fobs would arrive. Probably.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Sits wondering… How he can fit the words angular velocity into everyday building life???……

j_me
    Free Member

BSkyB would go bust and hopefully Murdoch too (so it isn’t all doom and gloom)

philconsequence
    Free Member

would the satellites in orbit keep spinning? would the satnav still work?

TheBrick
    Free Member

The water in our sink and bath do it, they drain really slowly so water is practically at a standstill. So not really a myth then?

He didn’t say that water did not swirl down a plughole, he said it’s cause was not due to the coriolis effect, i.e it is not due to the earth’s rotation.

Given a completely still initial conditions in a perfect bath with a perfect plughole water could flow down the plug hole symmetrically, i.e. not swirling. This solution however is unstable and any deviation away from that causes a swirling down the plug hole. This is just like a valid solution for the atmosphere is solid body rotation, but it’s very unstable. The turbulence in the water is a greater source of instability than the coriolis effect.

TheBrick
    Free Member

philconsequence – Member
    would the satellites in orbit keep spinning? would the satnav still work?

Yes satellite is just falling to earth with the same curvature as the body it orbits.

samuri
    Free Member

Hang on then…

i remember watching a six million dollar man episode where a guy from a planet with really high gravity came to earth and was dead strong so kept beating everyone up and throwing cars around and stuff (he was a librarian on his planet), and that’s where Steve Austin came in.

Anyway, if some bloke who lives on the equator, has an arm wrestle with some guy who lives at the north pole, would he lose because the guy at the north pole has no rotational forces to reduce the effects of gravity through his life and hence he’ll be much stronger?

samuri
    Free Member

Plus, the guy on the equator experiences lower gravity anyway because he’s further away from the earth’s centre.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Would I spill my coffee?

RealMan
    Free Member

samurai, the gravity at the poles and equator is the same, its just the centripetal acceleration that means the person at the equator has a slightly smaller reaction force (eg: a person stands on a set of scales, the scales will read higher at the poles).

This effect is tiny though, and wouldn’t really effect results. Don’t go confusing some arm wrestling forum

ernie_lynch, the world spins slower in winter actually, due to more ice and snow forming at the tops of mountain. Then summer comes and all that mass turns to water, and rushes down closer to the earth’s surface, and the world spins faster.

If you’re sat on a spinny chair you can test this. Spin yourself holding your legs out, then bring your legs in as you’re still spinning. You speed up.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Realman – were you private or state school educated?

RealMan
    Free Member

State.

j_me
    Free Member

There would be a lot more weeing on shoes. The coriolis effect causes the urine to spin as it passes through the urethra. The upshot of this is similar to rifling a bullet, and greatly increases accuracy of urination. So the closer you are to the equator the larger the volume of inaccurate pish that is spouted.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Interesting – thanks.

richmtb

Realman,

You’ve actually got that completely backwards

Gravity is slightly stronger at the poles

samuri
    Free Member

samurai, the gravity at the poles and equator is the same, its just the centripetal acceleration that means the person at the equator has a slightly smaller reaction force (eg: a person stands on a set of scales, the scales will read higher at the poles).

Nope, it’s not.

If someone lives all their life at the pole, then even if the effect is tony, everytime they pick something up, they have to work that little bit harder so by the time they reach 30, they’ll be that much stronger.

Someone on the equator is further away from the apparent centre of mass of the earth (because the earth bluges on the equator due to those same rotational forces) and therefore experiences a smaller gravitational pull than they guy at the pole.

I reckon if the muscular eskimos all turned up at Singapore and started kicking off, the locals would have an awful time dealing with them and would need to import some Aussies or someone to deal with it all.

Or Lee Majors.

Rio

the gravity at the poles and equator is the same

You have to be very careful what you mean by gravity! The earth isn’t a sphere, it’s an oblate spheroid, so if you’re on the equator you’re further from the centre. If you’re as old as me you will have learned in school the gravitational force is G*m1*m2/(r^^2) so the gravitational force at the equator is less. Younger people probably won’t have learned this in their media studies and sports management GCSEs. 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘if the world stopped spinning…’ is closed to new replies.