Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • ideas for 160mm ish travel AM/FR bike or frame for the Alps
  • reggiegasket
    Free Member

Been out to the Alps for the last four years or so, mainly on a burly hardtail (456, Bfe etc.) which is fine but I fancy building something up over the winter which is full suss, 1×9, with about 160 ish mm travel, so not full on DH travel but something that’s still rideable but tough enough to have some fun on. Something like the new Trek Slash or maybe Zesty-esque. Something which you could put Fox36s or Lyriks on, with a dropper post.

I’m at the ‘Ideas’ phase so just give me some bikes or frames that I should be looking out for. New is okay but I’d prefer a s/hand bargain really. I’ve already got some coil Lyriks so could be a frame only.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Nomad

Klunk
    Free Member

ibis mojo hd 160

skywalker
    Free Member

Alpine 160

emmodd
    Free Member

Titus El Guapo – £799 new. Bargain!

toys19
    Free Member

transition covert. new frames on ebay for 1k. or try flying fox bikes he has loadsa transition kit.

Here is mine.

Rubber-Duck

Scott Voltage

Not sure if it fits the spec, just like em. Take a look at the Coastal Crew Vid

doug_basqueMTB.com

Liftman

Alpine 160 made for the job

grahamt1980

Commie MiniDH, ok a bit heavy for the ups but it will absolutely fly on the downs

grantway
    Free Member

Orange Alpine 160
    Nukeproof Mega

HarveyStedham
    Free Member

160mm zesty-esque = spicy 😆

Someone was selling one on here not long ago it might still be available!

igorl
    Free Member

Well, Spec Enduro is very popular around here for AM type of Alps rides (located in Slovenia). I ride Spicy which is also quite common.

steezysix
    Free Member

YT Wicked 150?

Bit of a bargain at £1450, they’re also doing a 160mm version for 2012.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

cheers all.

What about coil shocks over air? Is there a coil shock of choice in this field of bounciness?

mrh86

Intense tracer 2 – just built mine up. 1.5 rides so far. Quite liking it!

rhysw
    Free Member

I’ve got a SC Nomad mk2 with 36van rc2 forks and a ti sprung RC4 shox and it’s the bollocks!

qcamel
    Free Member

Intense SS2, you’ll not be able to wipe the smile off your face

skywalker
    Free Member

Alpine 160 with a CCDB

reggiegasket
    Free Member

mmm the Transition looks tempting. Don’t want to go much over a grand really (new price), so the Ibis/Nomad would be a stretch.

Never really got on with the Orange FS frames I’ve ridden (5s mainly) but maybe I need to revisit that perception. Titus looks like a right munter, which would take some getting over…

Northwind

Alpine seems a bit too simple 😉 But it would do you well. Not always that cheap though.

reggiegasket wrote,

I’m at the ‘Ideas’ phase so just give me some bikes or frames that I should be looking out for. New is okay but I’d prefer a s/hand bargain really.

1) Cotic Hemlock (as long as it’s a late one with the 1.5 headtube and the updated swingarm as you’re quite likely to break the old arm). 2) Whack 2 degree head angle reducing headset into it then add a dash of Lyriks. 3) Great success

Can be had for £300-£400 now. 120mm rocker is the best option but both work. They’re very good as standard but once slackened and lowered you get, basically, mini dh bike performance without it forgetting how to pedal.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Zesty or Spicy. Zesty because I ride mostly UK. Spicy because I want to ride more in AM country.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

Last Herb FR frames are 30% off through facebook at the moment – 1900 euros down to 1190 euros. Bloody love mine. I swap between forks (180 totems/140 44 rc3 ti) and wheelsets depending on how heavy the riding is. 165mm on the rear doesn’t feel too much on local xc and it can still smash it on alpine DH.

Posted by Last Bikes on Sunday, December 25, 2011

rhysw
    Free Member

I’ve owned light weight orange patriots/ freeride patriots, 5s, a lapierre zesty and ridden a new spec enduro and orange alpine and I can honestly say my coil nomad is the best. It climbs really well and descends like a beast but it’s not amazing on trail centre’s. My normal xc ride consists of linking out 2-3 Dh tracks in the south Wales valleys But if I do decide to ride cwmcarn itll still go around in a hour or so. Maybe if you ride more xc stuff get a air bike, if not go for coil

saxabar
    Free Member

Just for the Alps? If so a Bottlerocket, Blindside, Slopestyle or Patriot will be ace fun (I have a SS1). If not, then an Alpine (bias caution: I have one of those too).

beagle
    Free Member

Knolly Chilcotin?

Like the look of Last Herb too.

messiah
    Free Member

With some very canny purchasing I built up my Nicolai Helius AM. Love it.

Stevelol
    Free Member

There’s tonnes, Covert, Enduro, Cove gspot, Giant Reign, Santa Cruz heckler, they would all be good. Also, the Titus el guapo is a crazy bargain at the moment.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

mmm Nicolai Helius AM would be lovely 🙂

boltonjon

Spicy, Zesty or Alpine 160 – perfect bikes for going very fast on the Alps, it’ll be awesome before you leave for the Alps and it’ll be a great ‘do it all’ bike when you get back

the_lecht_rocks

my 2nd hand [but well cared for] nicolai helius AM is for sale including CCDB……..

contact richard at http://www.gravity-sports.co.uk

misterfrostie
    Free Member

Alpine 160, but after having ridden the 2012 5 with Kashima all round and rear Maxle I’m considering doing the Mega on it and possibly flogging the Alpine, very little between them now the 5 is soooo good.

druff
    Free Member

Sounds like you should consider a Transition Bottlerocket. There’s one with a small frame going on eBay at the moment (not mine).

mildred

Best combination I’ve ever used in 10 years of Alps riding is a Nicolai Helius FR with CCDB. It was astonishing. The FR had a slightly steep head angle compared to newer models, and the AM version looks bang on. A bit more than £1k, but built to last with an excellent warranty.

I have some mates who live in Morzine and the only bike they’ll touch are Orange. They used to be guides before the French laws changed and used to constantly see all varieties of multi-pivot bikes fail (I haven’t a clue how much this was down to lack of owner maintenance), but the Oranges keep on going.

If you’re lazy and don’t like changing bushings, bearing etc. I’d reccommend an Orange. Don’t think they all ride the same – they do not, so don’t let you’re experience with a 5 taint your decision making process. If you don’t mind occasional maintenence then go Nicolai.

Have a look at Marin Wolf Ridge/Attack Trail too – I’ve been dabbling with one of these for a few months now and I’m quite impressed so far – Haven’t caned it properly yet though.

grantway
    Free Member

I have some mates who live in Morzine and the only bike they’ll touch are Orange. They used to be guides before the French laws changed and used to constantly see all varieties of multi-pivot bikes fail (I haven’t a clue how much this was down to lack of owner maintenance), but the Oranges keep on going.

Found the same output for my Orange 5 AM at Coed Y Brenin was the only bike
    back where the other multi pivot bikes either bearings seized or rear stay had snapped.

chunkypaul
    Free Member

be a patriot

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Orange Alpine 160
    Nukeproof Mega

Make sure there not the snapping ones

Heckler 150mm takes a 160mm fork £899 New

jockhaggis
    Free Member

Heckler 150mm takes a 160mm fork £899 New

Gone back up again to £1099, still an absolute bargain though.

dangerousdan
    Free Member

Nomad. Coil shock. DH tyres. Six months down the gym.

iride
    Free Member

Mondraker dune 160mm front and rear or the foxy 140mm. They are ace bikes the mondrakers. http://www.cycle-world.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b0s1p8400
    http://www.cycle-world.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b0s1p8403

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘ideas for 160mm ish travel AM/FR bike or frame for the Alps’ is closed to new replies.