• This topic has 26 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by jhw.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Ice axes – why are Climbing Technology Fly Hooks so cheap?
  • jhw
    Free Member

As they look pretty good and are indeed recommended by various mountaineering courses

http://www.joe-brown.com/outdoor-equipment/winter-mountaineering/climbing-tools/climbing-technology-fly-hook-adze-hammer.html

Is there something I should know? They’re £150 cheaper than Petzl Quarks…

Thanks

sweaman2
    Free Member

Don’t know much on this but UK climbing might (or might not) offer more help on this. Those look pretty specific though… what are you intending to do with them? I wouldn’t describe them as a mountaineering axe.. more an icefall axe.

If you can try axes before you buy as different designs (and especially the weight in the head) make a huge difference. Even if it is just swinging them over your head in the shop. If you’re going on a course and can wait see if you can try different ones?

I’m not the person to ask though as I’m still using leashes….

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Quark is a bit more fancy, bits like adze, hammer and picks I think are separate units and interchangeable. Fly Hook Head looks as tho it’s all one forged piece and possibly not interchangeable (hard to tell in the pic), so cheaper to produce and a bit less flash. At the end of the day it’s about how it feels for you, weight, balance point and swing etc.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    onehundredthidiot

ice axe or for indoor dry tooling?

Brown
    Free Member

I’ve not had a play with the CT axes, but there’s a whole lot more going on with Quarks. As has been said, you can fiddle around with picks, hammers, adzes etc (may not be important to you). You’ve also got a whole lot more options for leashes – it doesn’t look like you could use clippers or bungees with the CTs. Again, this might not bother you. The ‘gripping area’ of the shaft is more shaped on an axe like a Quark – which I’d personally a lot more comfortable that the CT’s straight handle section. If you’re going leashless, this might be a consideration.

With cheaper axes you’re also potentially getting picks that aren’t quite as tough, so you might find yourself sharpening or replacing them. Not having seen them, the picks on the CTs might be fine, and that might not bother you anyway.

In short, they look fine, but it really depends on what you want to do and what they feel like to you. Another cheap option would be something like the tried and tested DMM Fly or one of the Grivels (I’d go with the latter). (If you want cheap and leashless, check out the Monsters.) Or look for something second hand.

Personally, I use BD Vipers, which are amazing, and orange. Well worth a look if you’re considering Quarks. Axes can make a massive difference to how comfortable and relaxed you are on a climb (although not on most easier Scottish routes – more so if you’re messing around dry-tooling!), so find some you’re happy with.

Getting ridiculously excited about winter now…

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

Depends what you want them for – are they going to be your first axes, and what are hoping to achieve?

highclimber
    Free Member

I’ve not had a play with the CT axes, but there’s a whole lot more going on with Quarks

I have the Quark (old style)and it is much better than anything else I have used. you might sturggle to get hold of the old ones but you can get the new ones for around £125 per axe.

if anyone’s in the snowdonia area when there’s some white stuff around, drop me an email! excited about living so close to the mountains!

matt_outandabout

Meh, I still use a pair of luminous pink and yellow Camp axes from about 1996…I have 20 pairs above my chair at work in the loft… :p

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

One of my mates still has the Troll trousers to match those axes Matt – still wears them down the wall!

footflaps

I love my CM (Quasar or Pulsar – can’t remember) – same as these:

Pretty good all rounders for Scottish mixed climbing.

highclimber
    Free Member

I thnk they’re pulsars. Nices axes them. you seriously need to get rid of those wrist leashes and replace with a springer leash!

footflaps

I have to confess I’ve not used them in years – gave up winter climbing about 5 years ago as the winters were getting too mild (although the last two years seem to have been much better).

globalti
    Free Member

My first ice axe was one like this, that my Dad cut down shorter:

I’ve still got it in the attic; the last action it saw was when I chucked it onto a pile of kit and the point went straight through my Thermarest!

bullheart
    Free Member

I have 20 pairs above my chair at work in the loft… :p

Your chair is in the loft?! YOU WORK IN YOUR LOFT?!

ChrisA
    Free Member

You really need to have a swing with them first. The petzl’s are quality kit. I’ve got a set of Charlet Moser’s like above and they are pretty bomb proof. They climbing technology getva good review but look like the heads are rivetted and not interchangeable so they will be consumable if you break one. If that’s no bother and you like the weight of them, go for it if your happy. I know the other kit is more expensive but I’m quite prepared to pay it for climbing kit.

Can’t you get any used ones from eBay or uk climbing forum? Something like the CM’s / DMM fly’s etc should be a similar price to them if not cheaper used.

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

Your chair is in the loft?! YOU WORK IN YOUR LOFT?!

He works in an outdoor centre – rather swanky looking place at that 🙂

matt_outandabout

lol. my office is the old cinema of a posh highland hunting lodge, now outdoor centre. The room was a classroom for years, then cleared out, cold, minimal heating and a right pile of outdoor gear above my head, on the desk, the floor, the shelves etc…..For a start tomorrow morning we get out the 50+ pairs of XC ski’s and boots we keep tucked away for the winters…

jhw
    Free Member

I’m going to go with Quarks – thank you all. I had a look at DMM flys (flies?) too but am put off by the lack of leash placement options

jhw
    Free Member

extended the overdraft and got some Petzl Quarks on a deal with Black Diamond leashes and pick protectors for £320. Got some Petzl Dartwins too and some gloves, and Nepal Extreme boots – all this after meeting with my bank manager earlier in the day. Broken Britain personified.

Can anyone recommend a cheapo belay jacket?

iDave
    Free Member

Is shouty woman going to get the Trotsky treatment?

jhw
    Free Member

Or I can From Russia With Love her with my Dartwins

sweaman2
    Free Member

Best bet for a cheap belay jacket is something second hand of UK climbing?

tragically1969
    Free Member

Thats one hell of a shopping session ! what are you intending doing, boots suggest alpine, axes suggest hardish ice\mixed ?

matt_outandabout

Cheap belay jacket? A mate was sporting a decent looking and warm Regatta the other day. Second hand Buffalo if not.

jhw
    Free Member

A mix! Scotland and Switzerland in January (Aviemore/Arolla); Iceland in February. Then ski touring in April if there is any money left.

Got some Vasaks and Scarpa Mantas for gen. mountaineering but then realised I wanted to do steep ice too. In fact, if anyone wants to buy some Mantas that have only been used for a few weeks, let me know.

Thanks all, I’ve put up an ad on UKC.

benman
    Free Member

Have a great time in Arolla – hope you like walk-ins! Some cracking easy peaks there though, and lovely views towards the Matterhorn.

jhw
    Free Member

Cheers man!

Perhaps in that case Dartwins aren’t such a good idea :S No balling plates!

Spent a little time in Arolla this summer – did Mt Blanc du Cheilon http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/5-weeks-messing-around-in-the-alps-thumbs-up-for-bike-verbier-kit-comments

Such a lovely valley but I don’t know anything about the ice climbing in the region

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Ice axes – why are Climbing Technology Fly Hooks so cheap?’ is closed to new replies.