Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • 5 weeks messing around in the Alps (thumbs up for Bike Verbier…& kit comments)
  • jhw
    Free Member

Got a sabbatical from work to play in the Alps this September-October. Spent the first week with Bike Verbier – they were brilliant on a number of levels, and it was a great group to ride with. Go!:

I then spent three weeks learning Alpinism from the ground up (although I’d done a bit of bouldering and indoor stuff). These aren’t really relevant to mountain biking but I include them for general Alps p*rn purposes:

Headed over to Arolla to climb but I also saw superb unspoilt mountain biking in the Val d’Herens – if you don’t mind climbing/pushing up – to be returned to I think:

(guide’s photo – Graham Frost – he was first class and rides bikes too)

(another of Graham’s)

Serac fall, one was <150m ahead of our position…

Headed over to Chamonix for some brutal hike a bike above the Bossons glacier and in the Bovine area, and some less brutal (sweet) stuff at the bottom end of the valley. The place is empty now and orange. Weather’s been good, but turned today.

I also tried to carry my bike up Le Buet as per discussions on this forum – but failed miserably! My mistake was to try to be too clever and go for a pre-dawn start. I lost the trail in the dark (even with a powerful light). I’ve not returned in the day but it struck me as not a straightforward trail…certainly not for walking around in the dark – even on the way down I nearly went ass over tit on many cliffs and boulders! I’m sure it’s easily navigable in the day but could still be a horrible hike-a-bike. Anyway this one is still waiting to be done by someone on here…

Finished with some more (very accessible) climbing…

Bus-sized serac ready to go, directly above Tacul normal route

Brilliant riding in this end of the valley

KIT

What worked:
    – Specialized Enduro 2009 – brilliant platform for the kind of thing I was doing, if you replace basically everything on it that moves (beginning with the shock). But the frame is perfect.
    – Fox Van RC tuned by Loco, and a 2009 Fox RP23 – both brilliant for their particular applications (I ditched the Specialized AFR shock without even riding it hard – it stank)
    – Mavic D521 rims – brilliant, even after I dinged one
    – Hope hubs and BB – brilliant
    – my Fox Float 32s (2009) surprised me – their plushness is average and they’re quite sticky but the main thing for me is durability and they’ve worked satisfactorily all summer long without any real problems. Seen many more expensive forks be super-plush right up until when they explode this summer.
    – Maxxis Minion tyres – mostly brilliant BUT you cannot lean these over on hardpack as far as High Rollers or Eskars – you WILL lowside if you try. But they’re good.

What didn’t work:
    – Dainese leg guards and 661 elbow guards. These slipped with bloody consequences – you could not rely on them to protect you in a crash, end of story. They are my size and I am a “normal” shape (not tiny, not fat). They’re just…a bad product. The only way I can get them not to slip is if I strap them so loose to begin with that they would just move in an impact anyway. They are $hit.
    – “Hydration systems”. I already knew to steer well clear of these but I saw about a million camelbak-related problems this summer. Just use water bottles. End.
    – Expensive 35 litre backpack with an arched/suspended back for ventilation – totally inappropriate for mountain biking, or climbing, or anything but rambling with your granny – it bounces about on your back. Use a Berghaus Extrem if you need something for overnight climbing/bike trips.
    – single ply tyres – I posted a rant defending single ply tyres a while ago on here. I now see the error of my ways. Ugh.

Thanks to Phil and Lucy at Bike Verbier, Graham Frost, Zero G Chamonix and the Midnight Express burger bar in Chamonix for making it happen! Be a while before I can do anything like this again (never!)

singlespeedstu

That carry/push up zig zag path in the middle of your first two pictures is a bastard.
    FACT.

wl
    Free Member

Yup, Bike Verbier certainly know their stuff – good choice. Platypus hydration systems are affordable and fantastic – stick one in a Dakine pack and you’re laughing.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jhw
    Free Member

You mean the one visible in both of them I think – in the distance – above the dam-like object.

Yep

I could taste blood

But the Bovine push takes the cake. I was weeping.

Pauly

Some brilliant & inspiring pics. Thanks for sharing.

wl
    Free Member

Well worth the carry though, eh Stu! 😉

jhw
    Free Member

The descent after the hike was the greatest I’ve ever done…

And I loved the hike too

Pervert

singlespeedstu

Well worth the carry though, eh Stu!

It was ******* fantastic. 😀

myheadsashed

+1 the carry nearly killed me, the descent ‘ROCKS’ 😈

singlespeedstu

The second section of that descent is one of the most fun trails i’ve ever ridden. Just fantastic fun.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGq9ojIrJa0[/video]

rob-jackson
    Free Member

camelbak problems – enlighten us

jhw
    Free Member

Not just camelbaks. Any “hydration system”. Saw problems with platypi too.

The obvious things like leaks due to packing bag tightly, and not being able to physically see how much water you’re consuming. Less obvious things like if the shop only has carbonated water, this is fine for bottles but will blow up a pack. You can put marche tea in most bottles but not a pack. Various shenanigans with valves. You have to clean them, and carry a coat hanger and special tablets for that purpose.

Bottles better for long (overnight) rides or if you like to keep it simple but hydration systems have a limited purpose I suppose…I know my views on the camelbak issue are controversial!

Great video there – thanks! It just went on and on

freeridenick
    Free Member

Chapeau –

you certainly got the weather 8)

jhw
    Free Member

Skint now. Time to pay the piper!!

Sue_W
    Free Member

Wow! Looks fantastic 🙂

Who did you do the alpine skills / climbs with?

grum
    Free Member

Nice one, looks amazing you lucky bugger!

jhw
    Free Member

ISM – who I forgot to thank in my first post – I think it was a good deal with them

Sanny
    Free Member

Hi Jack

(waves)

Great pics and I even see myself in one.

Sounds like you had an ace time.

Bovine hike from Champex isn’t too bad. The traverse and descent to La Forclaz are ace fun as reward.

Cheers

Sanny

hopefiendboy

*envy*

ChrisE
    Free Member

I tell you what, looking at your pics, you didnt see……………any clouds.

Good post. More of these posts and less crap posts please!!

C

jhw
    Free Member

Hello! Yep loved it especially the bermy bit right above Forclaz

Heading out of Chamonix today for the equally epic Surrey Hills!

Hope all’s well, gotta hit Aviemore/Ft Bill sometime soon

Got seriously lucky with weather as mentioned – pretty much a solid month of sun. I will always come to the Alps in September now, even if it does mean you have to use winter rooms and carry your own food.

forgotmename
    Free Member

You have had a great summer Jack, pics look great, ta for sharing, now do some work.
    Gary.

jhw
    Free Member

Ha ha – boo…

Now that I think about it, we did have one monster storm – it felt like the hut was going to cave in with the wind

bruneep

Looks shit, don’t know why you bothered. 😉

jools182
    Free Member

spawny git 😉

RHSno2
    Free Member

Nice. VERY nice.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘5 weeks messing around in the Alps (thumbs up for Bike Verbier…& kit comments)’ is closed to new replies.