Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Huge ocean liner type pictures and facts…
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

There’s an abundance of plane threads going on which are fascinating but isn’t it time for massive ships and other types of weird floating sea vessels

I myself have nothing to show nor any facts so am relying on you kind folk

paulosoxo
    Free Member

The Titanic had four funnels, but only three were operational. The fourth was for show, like on a Citroen Saxo.

scaredypants

I’ve occasionally sat and watched in amazement as the container ships come up into Southampton

… and only the smaller ones can get in here, so the big ones must be **** AWESOME !

paulosoxo
    Free Member

And Laings of Sunderland used to launch ships in sections for assembly elsewhere

paulosoxo
    Free Member

We also have a concrete boat still sat in the river where it sank whilst being towed up the river after being hit by a bomb in WWII

slowoldman

How about a ship which can lift a ship?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Shell Perlude FLNG Ship.

Bigger than Panamax
    Bigger than Suezmax
    Bigger than Chinamax (i.e it’s significantly bigger than the biggest bulk carriers bringing raw materials into china)

And for scale, that’s an LNG tanker next to it.

meeeee
    Free Member

Being a Geordie I always liked this picture, sorry no facts though but it must have been impressive living on these streets at the height of tyneside shipbuilding

Here’s another on the tyne thats more recent, Asian Hercules floating crane transporting the millennium bridge up the river.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

That’s a classic meeeee

slowoldman

I remember seeing that very view meeeee. Quite surreal.

hot_fiat

The last big ship made in Sunderland. My dad took me around it before they launched it and fitted the crane.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

This thread is just exposing the posters from the North East

maccruiskeen

Heres a fact for you OP

If you play the film ‘Titanic’ backwards its a film about a ship emerging from the depths just in time to rescue hundreds of drowning passengers before wining and dining them on their way back to home to Southampton. Happy ending for all.

Houns

Titanic on the deck of USS Ronald Reagan

From here

Putting Big Things in Perspective by Comparing Them To Something More Familiar

gwaelod
    Free Member

I’ve done some shoreside work for Heerema and Saipem who run enormous heavy lift semi-sub crane vessels that build oil platforms at sea

Heerema’s Thialf lifting an oil platform topside structure into position onto its legs

Saipem 7000 also lifting a platform topsides into position

Its clever stuff how these enormous cranes can lift 14000 tonnes off a barge and then drop it into position, whilst both barge on which the topside is delivered and the crane vessel itself are both pitching and rolling on the sea

both these vessels dwarf the Asian Hercules and Challenger btw….

TheDTs
    Free Member

That FLNG is a bit large.
    Looks like Samsung are better at boats than phones…

TheDTs
    Free Member

For when sailing your Gin palace is just too dull..

gobuchul
    Free Member

Lots of small stuff!

14000t? How about 48,000t? The All Seas Pioneering Spirit.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLO9uD5Ub_Y[/video]

It was originally named Pieter Schelte, after the founder of Heerma but they changed the name because he had a very dodgy war record.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Dockwise Vanguard is pretty impressive to.

bikebouy
    Free Member

And this biggest nori virus carrier “in .. the.. world”

Comes into Sotty regularly, for its sins. But it’s quite a sight seeing it round Brambles Bank at sunset.

Garry_Lager

Alang, in NW India, where they all go to die…

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

For when sailing your Gin palace is just too dull..

Imagine popping down the docks to take delivery and realising yours was the smallest on board.
    Bit of a shriveller…

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Awesome!

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_lnokEq29E[/video]

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

over quarter of a mile long FFS!

zippykona

Why do they launch them sideways these days?
    Edit,having seen the one above I guess they are just too long.

Garry_Lager

davidtaylforth – Member

over quarter of a mile long FFS!

Had an interesting life that one – longest ship ever built and was sank in the Iran / Iraq war, but salvaged and re-fitted. Now lies in bits at Alang.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/27877/seawise-giant-you-cant-keep-good-ship-down

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Not an ocean liner, but an impressive boat. I sat and watched it sit in the Atlantic on its way to Brasil waiting for the OK to sail, at a cost of £100,000 per day for doing nothing.
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKeGKYBOK50[/video]

maxtorque

I still like the “flip” ship:

Properly bonkers! 😆

maxtorque

BTW, a brilliant BBC series “ClydeBuilt: The ships that made the commonwealth” is on iplayer:

here

Houns

Some of these give me the heebejeebies!

thehustler
    Free Member

The three queens outside the Cunard building last year

legend
    Free Member

Had a surprisingly enjoyable week on this monster a couple of years ago

joelowden

I used to be Chief Eng on this:-

50 Knts on a good day

thestabiliser
    Free Member

I’d rather have have a little tug

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Got an oil rig needing moved?

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

and not the biggest but awesome Sealaunch-1. A converted former oil rig and purpose built rocket carrier which form a mobile satellite launch platform

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQXE9ar0S3Y[/video]

CountZero

That FLNG is a bit large.
    Looks like Samsung are better at boats than phones…

One would sincerely hope so…

dragon
    Free Member

Sea launch 1 in its previous guise as the Ocean Odyssey suffered a big blowout while drilling in the North Sea in 1988. Details here Ocean Odyssey blowout info including a couple of spectacularly scary photos.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I remember as a cadet sailing alongside the first of Maersk’s E class container ships on her maiden voyage. For comparison to the Hyundai discovery we were on Emma Maersk probably had the equivalent of our entire foredeck either side of her superstructure. It was massive and certainly left an impression as she slowly passed us in the med. Now surpassed by other,bigger ships but that first one was a game changer.

ULCCs like the Viking were just daft, an evolutionary dead end. VLCCs still dominate. Also, FPSO’s aren’t really ships in the traditional sense.

I’ll dig out some engine pics tomorrow.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Huge ocean liner type pictures and facts…’ is closed to new replies.