Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • How much for timber framed "extension" with glazed roof panels?
  • spacemonkey

We’re looking at putting in an offer on a house that needs a fair amount of work. One idea is to add an enclosed “outdoor” area to the side; 30ft long (along the length of the house) and max 7ft wide. Can’t go wider unfortunately. Would look like this …

… with the front and rear also being timber but with doors, thus creating a kind of enclosed “outdoor” space. Glazed panels would sit atop the frame. Not yet sure what would be on the outer wall between the posts as the neighbour’s garage/fencing currently resides there – maybe whatever’s cheapest as nobody will see it from the outside anyway.

Flooring will remain as is – block paving, so need to create a base etc.

Does anyone have any ideas what this might cost? Am trying to collate all figures over the w/e so we can finalise offer on Mon.

Cheers

br
    Free Member

A lot.

Just go online and collate costs from B&Q to give you an idea, plus lots of labour.

I’d be surprised if it was less than £10k.

You also need to check the work that has already been done, to make sure its ok.

And insulation, lots…

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I don’t think the op is talking of a conventional extension, more of an enclosed carport type idea almost? So no need for insulation and all the u value considerations. Is that right op?.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    STATO
    Free Member

A car-port is fine, an enclosed car-port would prob require planning permission if its attached to your house, even with your idea that its an ‘outdoor space’.

spacemonkey

As above, it’s not a proper extension, ie indoor living space with insulation etc. It is indeed a fancy car port type shelter but without the room for car. Main aim is to use it as a sheltered space that 1) looks attractive, 2) continues offering g light into the house and 3) is loads cheaper than a formal extension.

Cheers

the-muffin-man

Edit – You’ll see no change from 15k!

We are doing something similar (4.5m x 3m) – my uncle is a manufacturing joiner and he is doing the timberwork at cost, his mate is doing the glass at trade price, we’ve done all the groundwork ourselves and the cost is well above 5k and rising!

It’s the hidden costs that sting – we’ve spent £600 on skips alone.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Pish. 15k? Check out mcmoonters studio for a sensible outdoor space.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

£15k? 😯

I think this came in at £1000. My studio cost no more than £3000 including the stove. If I had a budget of £15,000 I’d be hoping to realize something like the Shard.

ackie
    Free Member

I like this thread. Any more pictures of fancy ‘Extensions’ would be much appreciated.
    I need inspiration…

trail_rat
    Free Member

Sounds like the house is too small ?

Look on the bright side , in winter itll make a wonderfull walk in freezer.

spacemonkey

Sounds like the house is too small ?

Nah, it’s an extended 3 bed semi with outbuildings. We’re just looking at how to make better use of the space to the side.

McMoonter, do you have doubled glazed panels and/or insulation in either of those builds? Is the burner enough for you to work throughout winter?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

McMoonter, do you have doubled glazed panels and/or insulation in either of those builds? Is the burner enough for you to work throughout winter?

Neither of the buidings are double glazed, though the studio floor and walls are insulated. The studio roof has a special membrane to trap condensation. With the stove on it’s like a bread oven in winter. I’m thinking of building an extension to house a small gallery space to it.

matt_outandabout

It will make the house warmer.
    Mini-greenhouse/trombe wall thing going on if you get it right.
    And McMoonter is pretty unique in skills and availability of resources (mainly time) it seems, hence the low cost to him.

ajc
    Free Member

As above. It’s pointless saying something only costs a grand if you spent the equivalent of x grand of your time in labour.

the-muffin-man

£15k? 😯

I was working on the assumption that if you need to ask these questions you generally haven’t got the skills, knowledge of materials or contacts needed to do it on the cheap.

If you got tradesmen in to do something like this from start to finish, I genuinely think you wouldn’t see much change from 15k.

spacemonkey

Hmm, interesting McMoonter. What timber did/would you use? We’re thinking of green oak. Am also thinking that double glazing, although maybe the best option, is going to be too pricey to justify. We’re not trying to do some Grand Desgins thingy here, more a case of adding a light and airy enclosed space suitable for; kids making a mess “outside the house” but not getting pi55ed on throughout winter, working on the bikes etc.

ajc
    Free Member

make sure the glass is laminated or toughened if it is going to be low level like the above pics.

br
    Free Member

I was working on the assumption that if you need to ask these questions you generally haven’t got the skills, knowledge of materials or contacts needed to do it on the cheap.

+1

That is my normal assumption too, whenever anyone asks these types of questions.

cr500dom
    Free Member

spacemonkey – Member
    Hmm, interesting McMoonter. What timber did/would you use? We’re thinking of green oak.

Just take a look at Green Oak Carport / Garage type buildings for cost comparisons……
    Glass will need to be Toughened / wired / laminated ideally too, even if you are not double glazing.
    I suspect it’ll be closer to £15k than £1k if you want it to look anything decent

My Softwood Timber shed 12’x8′ was £800+ the base and I couldn’t build it cheaper, even buying the timber myself

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘How much for timber framed "extension" with glazed roof panels?’ is closed to new replies.