Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 97 total)
  • Hope T Rex and XT RM clearance (Not! Arrrghhhh!)
  • mattjg
    Free Member

The rear arm of the RM (the bit the cable is attached to), is too close to the adapted cassette at points of the range, (specifically 28T -> 24T) the chain is touching it when trying to shift up so the shift is broken. (I can do a double shift then back if I have to).

It looks to me like pushing all the cogs outwards one level is simply compromising the clearance. It’s nowt to do with set screws or the B screw, the TRex itself works fine as does shifting at each end of the cassette.

RM is M786. Cassette is a 11-36 (17T removed IIRC) with a Hope TRex (40t). Shifter is XTR. Hanger and frame are true.

what am I doing wrong?

matther01
    Free Member

No idea… I have same set up and it works fine. You using the longer b screw?

mattjg
    Free Member

yes, the longer B screw fully wound in.

here’s a pic showing the chain contacting the RM (this is after the shifter has been clicked for the upshift so the RM has moved, and is trying to reposition the chain but it’s touching the RM back arm so is being prevented).

https://plus.google.com/photos/+MattGillam/albums/6037092664834972417?authkey=CL6aoozr05hA

the angle looks good because it’s on a stand

mattjg
    Free Member

(and yes I know the grass needs water, the cassette could be cleaner and the cable needs an end cap. when it works, I’ll put one on!)

@matther01 good to know your set up works!

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

One up rad cage moves the jocky wheel back £20ish

pbooker1995
    Free Member

Sure the mech is bolted on correctly and the b-screw doing its job correctly?

Northwind

Bit curious about the frame, I suppose it’s possible the mech/hanger position is doing something weird? There’s more than enough clearance normally.

How sure are you everything’s straight?

neilwheel
    Free Member

Best guess is that the arm is bent and/or twisted.

mattjg
    Free Member

One up rad cage moves the jocky wheel back £20ish

Don’t think jockey wheel is the problem, happy to be corrected. (see the pic).

Sure the mech is bolted on correctly and the b-screw doing its job correctly?

yeah think so

Bit curious about the frame, I suppose it’s possible the mech/hanger position is doing something weird? There’s more than enough clearance normally.

How sure are you everything’s straight?

it’s a new frame, had the same issue on another frame (tho this is the first time I have diagnosed it fully).

frame rides straight, it’s a 142×12 axle on sliding dropouts

Best guess is that the arm is bent and/or twisted.

RM is new, good theory but I don’t think so. I’ll look as it seems a good theory.

mattjg
    Free Member

anyway ta for ideas, I ponder some more

Northwind

If it happens in 2 frames and the mech is new I’m going to blame the mech. But, with the slidey dropouts, is the wheel axle moving in relation to the mech pivot, or are they all on the same slidey?

mattjg
    Free Member

If it happens in 2 frames and the mech is new I’m going to blame the mech. But, with the slidey dropouts, is the wheel axle moving in relation to the mech pivot, or are they all on the same slidey?

no, mech and axle are in the same slider

neiloxford
    Free Member

rad it

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

Do you need the b-tension screw as far in as that? As the mech body swings down away from the cassette, that arm will swing up toward it. If you can slacken the b-tension and get clean shifts you might be able to find the sweet spot.
    The Rad cage will help though as it allows less b-tension, or just file a touch off the corner of that arm.

singlespeedstu

Is it a direct mount mech?

mattjg
    Free Member

robin ta re logic of rad.I would have thought more B screw means more clearance, I’ll experiment.

Stu the mech is http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-xt-m786-shadow-10-speed-rear-mech/rp-prod83162 (so yes. is that good or bad?)

singlespeedstu

Looking at this pic.
    The direct mount mechs do seem to sit a bit further back.
    That could be causing your problem?

[url=https://flic.kr/p/nfomaC]IMG_8754[/url] by dRj0n, on Flickr

rickon
    Free Member

What hub are you using? Are the end caps on the right way round if its a thru axle? That would cause the cassette to be too close to the mech.

mattjg
    Free Member

hi – Hope Pro Evo 2 on a through axle. They are different lengths, wheel won’t fit in the frame if adapters are switched.

dirtydog
    Free Member

I don’t think it’s the Trex causing it, I’d remove the Trex and try it without, does it still do it?.

russyh
    Free Member

I had this exact same problem last year, I think I later discovered my chain was too short and fitting a new chain the correct length sorted it

mattjg
    Free Member

bunch of stuff to try there, will report back, thx for ideas

neilwheel
    Free Member

I had a chance to double check this morning.

Hope 40T with SLX GS RD in the same position as your photo has about 10mm clearance between arm and cassette/chain.

neilwheel
    Free Member

DP

mattjg
    Free Member

I experimented with winding out the B-screw, there is a sweet spot where the 28->24 shift works, but it moves the problem elsewhere, specifically downshift from 3rd to 4th cog.

I uploaded pics of the set up in smallest cog, largest, and the rear arm of the RM, it doesn’t look stressed or out of shape to my eye.

Chain is not excessively short.

https://plus.google.com/photos/+MattGillam/albums/6037092664834972417?authkey=CL6aoozr05hA

back later, will try standard cassette next.

wwaswas

I’d just file the inside of the mech arm until it clears the cassette

Doh1Nut

By removing the 17t you have moved all the bigger sprockets closer to the mech.
    If you put a washer between your derailer and the frame this will regain some of the lost space.
    Rear mech spacing relative to casette is also a function of the width of the dropout. There was a recent post here from Brant who said that SRAM were basing there rear mechs on 6mm dropouts so would not reach smallest sprocket if used on a 5mm dropout.
    I bet that slider is steel – and probably slimmer than an alloy dropout.

(might have been 6mm and 7mm but you get the idea)

neilwheel
    Free Member

Does look like you have a very short hanger dimension, from axle centre to mech fixing hole centre.
    Especially without an offset as the two holes are almost on the same vertical line.

Did you have this setup running okay before?

Have you double check the stops are meeting on the mech and hanger?
    Has it just risen slightly as you have torqued the mech fixing bolt?

EDIT – For clarity

reggiegasket
    Free Member

To me, it looks like the problem is the linkage between the mech hanger and the mech body is at the wrong angle.

If you look on this pic (from web) the mech hanger bolt (allen) is above the mech body bolt (torx).

whereas on your setup the opposite it the case. The torx bolt is above the allen bolt:

This isn’t to do with the b-screw I don’t think. It’s to do with the linkage being at the wrong angle, which rotates the mech backwards. Maybe the mech hanger is putting the mech at the wrong angle?

Conan257
    Free Member

Slightly different setup, obviously… But on my Titus FTMC with SRAM mech, the RM bolt is further rearwards of the axle.

I have a feeling you’ve discovered an issue with compatability between your frame/mech/T-rex.

Northwind

Though the OP mentioned it happened with another frame too- is that also direct mount?

neilwheel
    Free Member

Is that a matching frame or a different frame OP?

What frame do you have now?

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Is everyone using the longer b screw?

neilwheel
    Free Member

You don’t necessarily need it for 40t.

AlexSimon

Something looks wrong on your last pic:

Surely at some point, the main body of the mech should be more horizontal.
    The jockey wheel is a million miles from the small cog!

Edit: reggiegasket’s spotted something above. Definitely in the wrong place there.

mattjg
    Free Member

Frames: both are Canfields, a Yelli Screamy and a Nimble 9.

I have a feeling you’ve discovered an issue with compatability between your frame/mech/T-rex.

Yes, wondering this. Perhaps it’s a ‘Canfield’ issue, it’s reasonable to assume common DNA in the designs. I’ll ask them.

@alexsimon not entirely clear what you’re pointing out, could you point me to a generic pic showing the difference you have in mind pls.

In the meantime, I’m going to put a regular 11-36 on and try that.

mattjg
    Free Member

ah missed reggie’s post, thx reggie I take a look at that too.

AlexSimon

I think a combination of rotating the mech around based on reggiegasket’s post and then loosening the B-tension screw will see it fixed.

Here’s a drawing:

neilwheel
    Free Member

The only way to achieve that would be to remove some material from the hanger.

Northwind

Or, presumably the company makes a non-direct-mount hanger for SRAM. And I’ve heard you can buy the wee knuckle to convert a direct mount mech to a normal one? But that’s all pretty messy.

Difficult one, to me it looks like the direct-mount hanger is basically out of spec. But if it works fine on a normal drivetrain they can reasonably say it’s fit for purpose.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘Hope T Rex and XT RM clearance (Not! Arrrghhhh!)’ is closed to new replies.