Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Hope Pressfit BB
  • honourablegeorge

Quite keen on this – but they mention a threaded sleeve between the cups which prevents flex, etc – I struggle to see how you can press in the cups, while threading them onto the sleeve.

They do mention a specific fitting tool, but looking at it here, it looks like a fairly bog standard press, so it’s not revolving the cups as they go in or anything weird (don’t see how that could work anyhow)

Anyone tried it, or know how it works? Do you just thread the sleeve into place after fitting the cups?

billyblackheart
    Free Member

I wonder if that will fit Trek frames…

andyl
    Free Member

No idea but two ways I can think of are:

1. press in the cups and then have a tube which you screw in from one side to the other and joins the two cups and then you insert the bearings.

2. you somehow use the thread of the inner tube to draw the cups (one or both) into the frame (without them rotating a you do so)

Hope bringing out a solution does mean I am less afraid of getting a frame with a push fit BB now though!

twoniner
    Free Member

Maybe it threads in on one side and pushes in the other. ❓

honourablegeorge

Yeah, I’m guessing it’s as per your #1 there, andy.

andyl
    Free Member

looking at the picture again you can see the threads on the tube going into the cup closest to the camera. I’m guessing doesn’t have threads on the other end and passes through the far cup with a shoulder to pull it towards the cup with the threads.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

I’ve just got a new frame with a PF30 BB. It came with adapters that you screw the BB cups into then press into the frame with a headset press. No tube in between.

Seems a bit daft having the PF30 frame then using adapters!

However, when looking at options, before the frame arrived and realising that it canme with adapters, I spotted this…

[/url]

Seems to have a threaded joining tube.

smiff
    Free Member

they tie the two cups together to prevent either cup working loose? ffs, threaded bb shells worked fine for years as long as you don’t **** the threads.

18bikes

As I recall,

– press in one cup, with bearing
    – press in the other side, without bearing
    – use tool the thread in the piece that ties the two together
    – press in the other bearing

Hope seemed pretty keen for the tool to be a shop-only item, so that might be better worded as

– take bike to shop
    – let them deal with it!

Si

18bikes

Due later this month, so we’re told.

glen815
    Free Member

Ignore this post.

numplumz
    Free Member

I first thought great when I saw these from Hope, mainly as they were screwed together. This would make them easier to remove without battering them.
    Seems like there wont be much change there then.

18bikes

It’s pressfit – so an interference fit, which any BB would have to be in this case. The advantages here are

– better bearings
    – replaceable bearings

Northwind

numplumz – Member

This would make them easier to remove without battering them.

Looks like you can change the bearings without removing the cups, though, so still simpler, and hopefully the bearings will be well protected and give good life.

All seems a bit counterproductive, companies bring in a change that lots of people don’t like then other companies make a thing so that you can change it back. Can’t you already get adaptors that let you use a proper BB in a pressfit shell?

Candodavid
    Free Member

Si, any idea on cost?

honourablegeorge

Northwind – Member

Can’t you already get adaptors that let you use a proper BB in a pressfit shell?

Yes for some of the SRAM ones (PF30), no for BB92

honourablegeorge

18bikes – Member
    As I recall,

– press in one cup, with bearing
    – press in the other side, without bearing
    – use tool the thread in the piece that ties the two together
    – press in the other bearing

Hope seemed pretty keen for the tool to be a shop-only item, so that might be better worded as

– take bike to shop
    – let them deal with it!

Si

Damn. In the absence of a decent Hope dealer anywhere near me, that rules me out.

18bikes

£90 RRP, we should be 10% off and free fitting.

post it to us, we can fit it and send it back?

iain1775
    Free Member

Regardless, still won’t fit my Commie Meta AM
    Central collars no good for me. This is the only BB that will fit – http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/a55628/bottom-bracket-cups-dura-ace-sm-fc7800p.html?lg=en&cr=GBP&cn=gb

topangarider
    Free Member

£90?! Seriously?!

My Giant TCR1 came with a Dura Ace PF BB in and lasted 1100 miles. Hope may be the way to go, but I can do without £90 everytime if fails.

Any more info going out there as to what the bearing replacement process is when they’re gone on the Hope set?

Cheers

matthew_h
    Free Member

It’s not £90 every time it fails, it’s £90 one off then when the bearings die you just replace the bearings rather then the whole lot.

Some places are doing them at less than £90 too

topangarider
    Free Member

Ok – how do you replace the bearings then? What tool do you use?

For me to do it myself would be £30 for the shimano bearing, £40 for the removal tool, plus £60 for a press – so 18bikes lookes like a bargain!!

Would like to know what the crack is for future bearing replacments though!

Wibble89
    Free Member

ain1775 – Member

Central collars no good for me. This is the only BB that will fit – http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/a55628/bottom-bracket-cups-dura-ace-sm-fc7800p.html?lg=en&cr=GBP&cn=gb

Any bb71 or bb91 (41A) will fit, but you have to take a hacksaw to it first to cut one half of the protruding edge off. I was glad to have the hacksaw handy when I discovered that the original bb92 had been cut by commencal in the factory.

But as you say this makes the hope useless to us

mattg123
    Free Member

http://www.bikerumor.com/2013/02/26/…ottom-bracket/
    Nicked off another site, explains fitting & the need for the Hope tool. I’m going to get one put in my Zesty in the next week or so but am quite miffed that the LBS want to charge the full £90 & then a fiver to fit it. GRRR

Crag
    Free Member

I think you need to find a new LBS. Would they still charge you a fiver if you bought elsewhere (for less money) and took it there for fitting?

glen815
    Free Member

ain1775 – Member

Any bb71 or bb91 (41A) will fit, but you have to take a hacksaw to it first to cut one half of the protruding edge off. I was glad to have the hacksaw handy when I discovered that the original bb92 had been cut by commencal in the factory.

But as you say this makes the hope useless to us

I have a Commencal Meta AM 29er booked in with 18 Bikes at the end of the month, will I have the same problem and therefore should cancel my appointment?

Kuco

I had to hacksaw mine on my Meta SL so I guess the 29er will be the same.

glen815
    Free Member

Kuco – Member
    I had to hacksaw mine on my Meta SL so I guess the 29er will be the same.

Thanks Kuco looking at pictures of the frames I think you’re right.

mmannerr

Hope has interesting idea, will be be interesting to hear how it works.

At this point there are several options for Shimano MTB Press fit standard:
    – Shimano BB91 (cheap)
    – SRAM GXP BB92 (expensive)
    – RaceFace X-Type (mid price)
    – Enduroforkseals SS or Ceramic models (mid to high price)
    – Chris King Press fit (not yet available, high price expected)
    – Hope (mid to high price depending if tool is included)
    – Token Press fit (cheap)
    – Superstar (cheap)
    (Cheap is a relative term here, maybe around £20-30?)

I don’t know if any of those are really bombproof but there seems to be enough mfgrs to ensure that my bike will not be obsolete in next 3-5years.

honourablegeorge

Raceface one has replacable bearings AFAIK – so should just be a matter of popping them out of the sleeves.

I’ll be doing mine soon, I think. I have a creak somewhere.

topangarider
    Free Member

Ended up putting a Token one in my Giant TCR – got for £23 and borrowed a press from a mate. It relies on those plastic ‘top hat’ washers, but comes with two sets in case one get knackered.

Will see how this holds up compared to the Shimano one. If pants will maybe try hope or Enduro forks seals (more likely tbf)

MarkyP
    Free Member

Kcnc do a bb90
    Been in since February
    Still smooth & only £30

mrmoosehead
    Free Member

Keen on doing this conversion to my Spark 35 2012, but LBS now saying that the crank is too long? SRAM S1000 GXP PF crankset

Anyone know why a BB92 standard frame with GXP crank might not fit ?

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Hope Pressfit BB’ is closed to new replies.