Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Helmets for the large of head
  • luket

Just cracked my trusty Giro Hex. I’m a large in that and only just fitted it. Have been XL in anything else I’ve had in the past, c.63cm I think. My head seems to be larger in length than width and Giro has tended to fit that bill ok, although the Hex was a bit tighter than I’d ideally like.

What else should I be looking at? It’s been a few years since I tried any other helmets so I’m not up to speed but when I did the vast majority of brands of helmet wouldn’t go on my melon.

CaptJon
    Free Member

I’m a large for most manufacturers except for Kask (i’m a medium), so maybe give them a look. Their helmets are relatively low profile too, so you don’t end up looking like a mushroom.

ahwiles
    Free Member

watching with interest…

(fwiw, i can recommend the Giro Venti for a cheap and cheerful option)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Specialized.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Troy Lee are pretty good for me, I’m in the XL/XXL range…

jemima
    Free Member

If Giro works stick with it? I’ve worn Giro helmets for last 20 years and their L/XL fits my giant neep (also proportionally long) very well.

rocketman
    Free Member

As above TLD A1 in XL/XXL very generous. Not for people with narrow heads though

tmb467
    Free Member

Giro Feature is a great fit on me – had a Xen for years; tried some others and ended up back with Giro

(Alternatively the Endura Humvee is pretty good too)

honourablegeorge

Giro were my go to for my big head. Since then, I;ve come to learn that my head is not that big, and for truly big heads, specialized are the one

shortcut

My strong preference is Specialized but I also get on OK with some (but not the Hex) Giro lids and some Mavic ones.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Spec MAX goes 56-64 and although listed as XL has an XXL sticker inside. Been using one for years (not the same one)

Sensible money too

hatter

The Spesh Ambush in Large is bloody huge, even my vast melon fits it with room to spare.

Nice lid too.

sime46
    Free Member

Smith Forefront here in large. Super comfy. Was Bluegrass goldeneyes before that. That was a big old lid. The Smith is really comfy and light. I’d recommend happily.

MSP

The Spesh Ambush in Large is bloody huge, even my vast melon fits it with room to spare.

This, I usually get large and some makes still are not big enough, bought a large ambush, and thought it was too big so sent it back for a medium, medium was actually too small so swapped back to the large.

Good helmet but don’t like the way the straps fit on me so only used it for a few weeks, would sell it.

bumps
    Free Member

I have exactly the same problem; I’m about a 62 and long-headed… Giro were initially my only option. Here’s what I’ve foundation lids I have owned:

Giro Hex and Xen – good fit size L. Hex a tiny bit looser than Xen.
    Specialized Ambush – bit baggy in size L – wobbled on descents – and I wrote off two. One in a crash (no visible damage but didn’t want to chance it), the second had an unexplained dent in the shell two months later with no crashes. A bit fragile?
    Bell Super 2 MIPS – size L. Lovely fit, secure-as and feels bombproof.

Others I have tried (all in the biggest size available):

POC Trabec – too tight in length.
    Troy Lee A1 – too tight in length.
    Mavic – fits length wise but way too round so fits like a bowl.
    Fox Flux – fits at a push. Just a bit too tight all round.
    Giro Montaro MIPS – snug but very nice fit. This would be my choice if I didn’t have the Super.

Hope that helps – I feel your pain.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Bell Super is a biiig helmet…

belugabob
    Free Member

As hinted at by my login name, I also have a large bonce.
    Used to have a Giro Hex, but switched to the Giro Feature, for more rear protection.

ceejay64
    Free Member

I have used Giro Xen helmets in large for years and found them very comfortable. But trying to find another helmet that fits my big head is always difficult. After much looking i found the Bell Stoker to be a good fit , light and a very reasonable price 🙂

luket

Sounds like I’ve got a bit of a job on my hands trying a few on.

Having tried umpteen full face helmets in a few years ago and not found a single one that would go on my head, I’m not sure I relish the task.

Bumps – that’s some research you’ve done! I think I’d be pleased if the Bell fitted – looks a great option.

How important is this MIPS thing?

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Bell Alchera works for me, with a “long” ~62cm head, replaced the Met Testagrossa that was smashed to smithereens in my RTA.

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

I have a similar but opposite issue. Head too wide. I struggled for years to get a good fot till i went round all tbe big cycle shops in Glasgow, Edinburgh and everything local trying on literally every helmet from a £20 laser to a £160 poc totally open to spending what i had to to get the best fit. Turned out a specialized chamonix was best by miles. £40.

xyeti
    Free Member

I’ve got a canister like a water melon only bigger, I’ve worn Giro Hex, Xen in the past but Giro helmets seem to sit too far aloft my head, I went for a Bell Super about 2 years ago and it’s been great, comfy well vented and biiiig enough.

I recently purchased a Bell Gage for roady type stuff and that sits low and snug to my bonce.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Another member of Big Heid Club here.

Had trouble finding a replacement for a Giro E2.

Did what Steve Muzzy did above and ended up with a Specialized Echelon II road helmet.

lardman
    Free Member

My very full head resides in a IXS trail helmet, in L/XL. Plenty of room and a good low sided profile. Also has good ‘twist button’ retention system that goes down the back of the head far enough.

digger95
    Free Member

Planet x enduro style one works for my larger than average skull + mop, but its not for you long heads. Has loads of width.

takisawa2

John Merrick takes my helmets, as I loosen them up for him.

Had a Giro head for years but bought a Bell Super2R recently.
    Fits like a glove.
    Bit hot though.

luket

Thanks for some great suggestions above.

Tried a few with mixed results. The Troy Lee seems a good lid and is a decent but not perfect fit. Bonty, Kask, Mavic all no good for my wonky swede.

Specialized looks a good option and an LBS can get a large one in. But the suggestion I really want to try is the Bell Super 2, but I haven’t found one locally – anyone aware of a good stockist in or around any of: Northampton, Milton Keynes, Exeter? Or maybe Swindon or Reading…

I was a bit gobsmacked on ringing up Evans cycles that I had to order it online to “click and collect” just to try it on. I could obviously do this but (perhaps irrationally) it annoyed me – seems like they’re missing the point of why we might go to a shop sometimes rather than buying online!

The-Chair
    Free Member

I also have a massive head and found the Troy Lee A1 in the largest size really comfy.
    Full face wise I really struggled – Bell super was laughably inadequate, none of Fox/POC/Urge even came close, Specialized was alright, and for a cheap effort the fly racing helmets come in a quite large size and are really comfy.
    The surprise winner for me though was a Met Parachute – although the published size large is supposedly quite small real world testing revealed its actually cavernous, and fits me better than the XXL Troy Lee D2 it replaced – I would assume that the bluegrass trail helmet its based on would also be the same fit

luket

The Chair – the Bell Super was laughably inadequate in size or in some other way?

Met added to list…

chrishc777
    Free Member

I have a 63cm head, narrow and longish.

Fox Flux just about fits, went through 2 over 3 years
    Bell Super 2 is lovely fit, plenty of room and plenty of adjustment. I think the above comment may be related to the full face version.

Full face wise

661 Comp just about fits.
    THE point 5 in XXL fits perfectly, 28 quid from Winstanleys. Win win

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Also blessed with a big head and in the past have found that Bell and Met L sizes suit me well. Got a Mavic Syncro at the moment which I’m very happy with.

luket

I ordered a Bell Super 2R online but that is, to quote The Chair above, “laughably inadequate” for my bonce. A shame for me – it’s ideal otherwise. And a good price at Winstanleys.

Very difficult to go on recommendations I think. For the big-heads among us the adjusters are pretty much at their limit so we’re at the mercy of the shape of the hard shell – if that shape’s not just right then you’re stuffed.

I now remember why I’ve been seeking out the same model of helmet for the last 10 years…

Maybe someone will invent a heat-mouldable helmet, like in ski boots?

bumps
    Free Member

Luket is absolutely right – helmet shape is the key for us large brained people.

Yesterday happened on a Troy Lee A1 MIPS in XL/XXL which fits better than anything I’ve found so far, so I bought it. Think I must have tried the L/XL previously as this one was great.

I’m a narrow long head shape and this fits better along the sides than the Super 2. Feels plusher too.

sputnik
    Free Member

I’ve got a Giro Xen that has had very little use if anyone is interested. Too big for me, it’s a Large.
    £20 plus postage.
    Never crashed, hardly worn .

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Helmets for the large of head’ is closed to new replies.