Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • helmet mounting a Fenix L2D torch
  • headfirst
    Free Member

I've just taken delivery of my DX bike light today (woohoo!), so I'm now looking to put my Fenix on my helmet, I was going to buy the twofish lockblock inline holder as on the bottom of this page but it says my torch won't fit it. What do any of you lot use?? I know that the exposure helmet mount is too loose too as I've tried that out on my mate's one.

robgarrioch

The 2-Fish comes with 2 good velcro straps, which I use to attach mine directly – the actual rubber holder doesn't work on my helmet, oo-err, as its cups are at 90 degrees – you can get a 'parallel-cup' one from DX, for about $3, if you're prepared to wait 2 months to save £3… Worth the £7 for the fenix mount I think, + you've a handy bar-mount for road use (wouldn't try the bar-mount off road, doesn't look THAT robust!)

headfirst
    Free Member

cheers rob, I've already got the 2fish bar mount, so are you saying you've just taken the velcro straps of that and used them to fasten your torch to your helmet? The one I've linked to is the parallel-cup /inline one but its for a one inch diameter torch so too loose.

robgarrioch

Sorry hdfst, didn't spot your link! Handy – haven't come across the full 2fish range, may well try the in-line-cup one.
    But yes, I just strap the torch on using the velcro straps through vent holes, makes a solid fixing at any angle (with my spec. roadie helmet). No vibration either. Only thing is, due to the helmets vent positions, I can't get it central on top; it's 1 side or the other. Not a huge problem, but next time I'm helmet shopping that'll be one of the priorities.

thesurfbus
    Free Member

I use an inline 2-Fish style mount on my helmet and it works fine, the Velcro straps are slightly too long, but they just overlap. I used to use a 90 degree 2-Fish mount but it was a bit tight mounting to the helmet, I guess it depends on what helmet you are using.
    I have tried to use a 2-Fish mount on the handlebars offroad and it just waggles around and is no use. I do use it on my road bike handlebars, but I find that when I get out the saddle I bash my knee on the torch.
    I guess its a compromise as its not designed as a bike light, but for the money it can't be faulted.

singletracksurfer

I run the same set up. Twofish Lockblock mount works well. Bit expensive for what it is though.

Did your DX light come with a mounting strap? Mine didn't and they won't send one until I send a picture of the missing part – duh! Useless ****ts

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Some of the commuter types on http://www.cyclechat.co.uk have been using the Fenix light for a while, might be worth asking how they sorted helmet mounts.

Cycling Plus tested one recently and described making a helmet mount out of foam rubber & velco straps, maybe there isn't a specific one available??

monkeyp

I just use the right angle lock block, but splay the feet out to offer good support on the helmet. The two velcro straps can then be threaded through the same slot so that they run parallel to each other.

I've had no probs with that layout – nice and sturdy.

AndyPaice
    Free Member

if your helmet vents are aligned well enough with how you want the torch to sit then just use two zip ties to hold it on, or two straps as said above.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘helmet mounting a Fenix L2D torch’ is closed to new replies.