Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Helmet cam which one?
  • bren2709

Looking to purchase helmet cam but not sure which to go for?

Gopro hd 2
    Contour gps
    Drift hd

Your thoughts on the above and which kit I need to mount to side of helmet?

Cheers all….

Northwind

Gopro. All the cameras are good these days, but the Gopro has the best mounts- and not just their own, they’ve got the best aftermarket support too.

Vortexracing

I like my Contour Roam, really simple to use and easy to mount on any helmet

[video]http://vimeo.com/42484808[/video]

dantsw13

Gopro helmet mount sits too high for me. The contour hd attaches on the side.

davidjohn
    Free Member

I’ve used a few and I think the Gopro’s are the best.

That POV that’s too high can be fixed by changing the mount so that you get a much more realistic POV.

You can see the normal mount that most people use and my modified mount in these pics.

DJ

hugor
    Free Member

I mount my GoPro front and low.

The Hero 2 takes spectacular wide angle pictures as well as good HD footage. Not tried any of the others though.

EDIT: Looks like we posted at the same time! Quite like the mounting above too!

kendo954
    Free Member

Chest mount is about the best for the go pro

hugor
    Free Member

Agree the chestmount POV is great when its dry.
    Otherwise mine always gets covered in mud.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Chest mount much more involving and slightly less sensitive to angle – most people have helmet mounts set too shallow so that the viewer is constantinly looking at the very top of the frame.

Either way – there’s a lot of very dull footage around.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

@DaveJohn- the DJ from Seabreeze? If not you have a doppleganger, and the nose of your board is a giveaway. Not been on SB for quite a while, must call in again. 😀

kayak23

Gopro can also be attached on’t side of your noggin..

davidjohn
    Free Member

Hi rogerthecat..

Yeah it’s me and just did my first bike vid after all those sup vids.. https://vimeo.com/43947096

DJ

Duane…
    Free Member

but the Gopro has the best mounts- and not just their own,

What other companies make GoPro mounts?

soundninjauk

K-Edge make a few, such as this one. I’m considering one myself as they look somewhat beefier than the plastic GoPro jobbies.

dantsw13

I did consider the gopro for the chest mount option, but I got a great deal on a nearly new Contour, which swung it. Extra mounts for it look a little pricey. I really like the rotating lens on the front of the contour (180 deg) which allows you to mount the camera in the most convenient place, then use the 2 internal lasers to rotate the front lens to level up the picture. I have mine mounted on the angled top right side of my urge enduromatic, which puts it below the top of my head line, but central enough to avoid balance issues.

Those front Mounts look much better from a height point of view, but having spent many years in the RAF with Night Vision Goggles fixed on the front of my flying helmet, I am very wary of rotational weight on my head.

My mate has just purchased a GoPro for our Alps trip on Thursday, so if you can wait a few days, we can compare and get back to you?

rogerthecat
    Free Member

davidjohn – Member
    Hi rogerthecat..
    Yeah it’s me and just did my first bike vid after all those sup vids.. https://vimeo.com/43947096

Usual high production values DJ can’t wait to see more- multi camera points etc – bike vides should be a lot easier than paddling back out to grab another wave for that ‘special’ shot. Good use of the paddle camera technique – stick cam? (looks a bit like my homage to Casso on the snowbaord using a ski pole). Look forward seeing more – really haev to get a GoPro.

Duane…
    Free Member

K-Edge make a few, such as this one. I’m considering one myself as they look somewhat beefier than the plastic GoPro jobbies.

Thanks, although I’m not a fan of attaching the camera to the bike.

Anyone making cheaper sticky/helmet/chest/etc mounts?

Northwind

I don;t think anyone else makes an equivalent to the official Gopro ones but there’s various other aftermarket options- a time-lapse rotator thing, tripod adaptors, upgraded thumbscrews, stuff like that. Ebay seems to be the place…

piemann
    Free Member

I’ve got a Drift HD170. It’s good quality, but isn’t as convenient to mount as the GoPro. I bought an adaptor to fit it to GoPro mounts, but it sticks out a bit on the chest adaptor and does look a bit daft. Currently waiting on the GoPro bar mount being delivered as the Drift mount doesn’t fit oversize bars. Grrrr.

hugor
    Free Member

Ram make some very sturdy looking ones.

Northwind

RAM mounts are great but not I think all that suitable for bike use- very solid and clunky (my RAM arm weighs more than my Gopro, by a fair margin)

unsponsored
    Free Member

GoPro is the best option.

Lots of GoPro stuff on my site – http://www.unsponsored.co.uk/press/?cat=27

shanta
    Free Member

Go Pro end of….

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Helmet cam which one?’ is closed to new replies.