Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Gelert Solos tent anyone?
  • DoctorRad
    Free Member

Anyone got / used a Gelert Solo tent? What do you think of it?

Any cheap viable alternatives out there at the moment?

epicsteve
    Free Member

I’ve got one somewhere – I’ve used it several times, including camping on the top of hills and in pretty windy conditions. Here it is at the top of East Cairn Hill in the Pentlands:

It’s very small – getting changed inside it is a struggle – but fairly stable in use if it’s pitched into the wind. I used mine in some pretty wet and windy conditions and it survived ok. It was noisy (but what tent wouldn’t be) and a little bit of spray came in one of the vents (I was using a bivi-bag over by down bag so it wasn’t a problem).

It packs very small and is light given the low price (under 1.5kg I think) but there is one big downside and that is the fibreglass poles, which are crap. One of mine started to split (although it’s fine since being re-inforced with tape) and I’d be quite surprised if it survived more that a few trips.

Argos used to do a very good cheap one-man tent (can’t remember the name but I’ve got a couple of them) which is a bit heavier (still sub 2kg though) but much, much better quality. It’s also a pretty good size as well.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Just checked on Argos and can’t see the tent there any more. It was a Pro-Action one, although usually they can be had on Ebay. Current item 320658027852 looks like it, although the ones I have are green.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Like steve says, the poles aren’t up to much … however it’s easy enough to buy a Vango Aluminium pole kit and make some new ones, shaves quite a bit of weight off too. For the money there isn’t much out there that compares, nearly everything else will be single skin and just as heavy.

If you don’t mind a little bit more weight / cost then take a look at a Vango Banshee.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I did wonder about getting some aluminium poles as with those it’d be a great little tent if you don’t mine the lack of space.

Might look at doing that, even though I splashed out on a Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1 when I was in the states a while back. Is there a particular Vango kit that I should be looking for?

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Can’t remember which kit it is now Steve but I seem to recall there was only one with the right diam’ poles … but I could be wrong 😉

franksinatra

Mine split down the seem the first time I used it. Only on the inner, at the foot end so not terminal but I wouldn’t get another one

stills8tannorm
    Free Member
    AlasdairMc

The Argos tent can be found if you shop around, there’s somewhere doing them for £30 at the moment. It’s the Pro Hike Lite I believe, the orange one.

Great value for money, although perhaps slightly heavy compared to more expensive competition. Mine has seen off Glencoe rain without any problems at all.

DoctorRad
    Free Member

Couldn’t find anywhere with the Pro Hike Lite tent in stock, but that one on eBay looks worth a punt. Plan was to go with Gelert Solo and replacement alloy poles, but thanks for thoughts on other options.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Thanks for the info on those poles – will check them out.

On the Pro Hike tent – I’m pretty sure I’ve got two of them (one might even be unused), green rather than the orange though. I’ll have a look tonight but could probably be persuaded to part with one of them. I’ve got loads of other tents anyway!

Before I got the Seedhouse my favourite 1-man tent was the old Vango TBS Micro 100. They can often be had cheap 2nd hand and are excellent little tents. The main benefit of them over the Solo or the Pro Hike is that it can be pitched inner first or all-in-one, which is useful in bad weather.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

I picked up a Force Ten Helium a few weeks ago, brand new from the shop £100 … pretty much half price 😀

Only being 5’7″ means it’s like a mansion inside!

DoctorRad
    Free Member

Force Ten Helium @ £100 – have they got any more?

nick1962
    Free Member

This looks like it could be good but not tried it myself.There’s a few review online
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350193138660&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

paul4stones

So is the Vango Banshee any good? Going cheap in Go Outdoors at the moment.

user-removed
    Free Member

I have a Gelert Solo and an alloy replacement pole set. Never got round to actually replacing the poles – looks like a major faff-on. How do you go about bending the poles to the correct shape? Some of the sections are only about 15cm long with bends in them….

Do I need a pipe bending tool?

flatfish
    Free Member

I’ve got one of the pro hike lites in green that I could be persuaded to part with in Bristol. Used twice and in perfect condition.
    £20

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

@DoctorRad, I picked up the Helium from Field and Trek … no sign on the website though. I assume it’s an in store offer.

I do have a brand new Terra Nova Argom 900 I’d sell for £100 if anyone fancies it. 2 man and sub kilo.

DoctorRad
    Free Member

@flatfish – yes please, I’m in Long Ashton, but could pick up. Email in profile, or I’ll look for yours…

HTTP404
    Free Member

call me oppurtunistic – but i’ve got a banshee and a gelert solo that i’d part with.
    both used once.
    also have an older 20L OMM rucksack going as well.
    n.downs located if anybody is interested.

thomthumb
    Free Member

http404 which banshee and how much?

DoctorRad
    Free Member

@user-removed: Looks to me like the best approach would be to use the existing alloy elbows, remove the carbon poles and replace with alloy. No bending of anything needed.

konaboy2275
    Free Member

How about these;

http://www.winwood-outdoor.co.uk/acatalog/Coleman_Kraz_X1_Single_Person_Backpacking_Tent.html

I have a gelert but not had the opportunity to use it in anger. The poles are quite strong as my 2 year tested them by jumping on the tent when I put it up in the back garden!

DoctorRad
    Free Member

The problem with the Gelert poles that I’ve read about is them becoming brittle and cracking in cold temperatures. Alloy replacements are apparently stronger and lighter.

Mounty_73

So is the Vango Banshee any good? Going cheap in Go Outdoors at the moment.

I have a Banshee, very good. I used it in the Lakes 2 years ago and it did the job nicely.

On the second night it was extremely wet and windy and I was a bit worried….no problems, so I am very pleased with mine.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I do have a brand new Terra Nova Argom 900 I’d sell for £100 if anyone fancies it. 2 man and sub kilo.

I’m interested in that – drop me a line at niblueATyahoo.com with more details please!

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Sent you an email Steve.

DoctorRad
    Free Member

Thanks for the tent deal flatfish 😀

flatfish
    Free Member

No worries. Enjoy.

Tiger6791

Note photo and comment 🙂

South Downs Way Microadventure Feb 2010

user-removed
    Free Member

DoctorRad – Member

@user-removed
    : Looks to me like the best approach would be to use the existing alloy elbows, remove the carbon poles and replace with alloy. No bending of anything needed.

Ah yes 😳 Just checked and you are of course quite correct. I had a false memory of the poles themselves being bent…

DoctorRad
    Free Member

@Tiger – presumably the moral of the tale is that a tarp is more pisshead proof than a tent?

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Gelert Solos tent anyone?’ is closed to new replies.