Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)
  • Footballers fitness.
  • Spin
    Free Member

Watching the Belgium-USA game and from about an hour in the commentators have been pointing out how tired some players looked.

Really?

mssansserif
    Free Member

They have been playing more games in a harsher environment than they are used to ?

Aren’t they allowed to be tired?

Jamie
    Free Member

Watching the Belgium-USA game and from about an hour in the commentators have been pointing out how tired some players looked.

Really?

Really, what?

Spin
    Free Member

Really, what?

Am I really watching the game or am I in some sophisticated Matrix like illusion.

or

Can they really only perform well for 60 mins and if so why?

Jamie
    Free Member

Matrix like illusion.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Spin
    Free Member

Matrix like illusion

Fitness upload?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Can they really only perform well for 60 mins and if so why?

IIRC physical exertion is tiring

timc
    Free Member

Spin, do you know much about football?

Spin
    Free Member

IIRC physical exertion is tiring

Yeah but an hour of running around a park doesn’t mark some fundamental limit of human endurance.

Or does it?

Spin
    Free Member

Spin, do you know much about football?

F*ck all, which is why I asked.

timc
    Free Member

Ok, imagine doing any sport in hot conditions as hard as you can for an hour? Tell me a sport where you wouldn’t start to tire?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Yeah but an hour of running around a park doesn’t mark some fundamental limit of human endurance.

Yea, and Bolt can’t even manage 10 seconds, lazy fecker

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Players run something like 10-12km in a game, some more some significantly less. A fair bit of that movement is spent at full sprint. That would get pretty tiring after a while.

Junkyard
    Free Member

an hour of running around a park doesn’t mark some fundamental limit of human endurance.

Of course not that is why they are tired and not dead.

Commentators talk BS
    The heat is sapping energy
    they are in the middle of a tournament at the end of a long season

They are a bit tired.

nick1962
    Free Member

Clearly a case of the wrong recovery drinks post match,ask molgrips.

Spin
    Free Member

They are a bit tired

Me too. I’m off to bed 🙂

johndoh
    Free Member

Have you ever played a competitive football match Spin?

johndoh
    Free Member

Ohh and each and every player in the Tournament will be exactly about a million times fitter than any of us could ever hope to be.

molgrips
    Free Member

Or does it?

Yes, it does.

It’s not a gentle 90 minute jog – watch the players. They spend a lot of time sprinting. There’s enough money in football that if a team could just do a bit of training and get fitter than everyone else, they would.

tomhoward

Players run something like 10-12km in a game, some more some significantly less. A fair bit of that movement is spent at full sprint. That would get pretty tiring after a while.

That’s pretty impressive, especially for the goalie 😉

PiknMix
    Free Member

Ok, imagine doing any sport in hot conditions as hard as you can for an hour? Tell me a sport where you wouldn’t start to tire?

crown bowls.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I reckon i can take the players in a bike race, if it lasts more than 90 minutes 😉

bigblackshed

26deg C ATM in Salvador. Footballers play in the winter in temps averaging between 3 and 12 deg C. Yes they are professional, but that doesn’t change the fact it’s a tad warm and humid in Brazil.

Here’s something to try. Go out tomorrow on your bike at midday for 60 mins and do sprint intervals with zero rest. I wonder if you’d feel tired?

I’d be ****.

aa
    Free Member

I ride bikes a lot.
    I play football(wendyball) weekly. Oh how we laugh everytime that’s rolled out.
    I find the running about and the physical contact a LOT harder than mtbing.
    Hour on the bike, hour playing football. Imo football leaves me more battered.

tomhoward

crown bowls.

Cricket.

bruneep

Yea, and Bolt can’t even manage 10 seconds, lazy fecker

I’m told I can’t even manage 8 seconds…..not sure what mrs b means? 😕

Mackem

They run a lot and get kicked.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Football isn’t the same as running. It sprints and a lot of twisting and turning. Its much more physically draining than running. And quite a world away from cycling.

Trying doing a hours worth of 100 metre spints and that’s only half the story.

theotherjonv

Seosamh said it while I was checking a stat.

The distance run stat is misleading. It’s only about 12km in an average 90 mins, a distance runner would do closer to 30. And it’s not the fact that it’s often at a sprint – the refs do a similar distance, often at a sprint, yet while they are 40-45 year olds you don’t see them cramping up with 15 mins to go. It’s the constant direction changes, turns, acceleration, jumping, twisting.

Get 3 mates and a tennis ball. Mark out a 10*10 square. The 3 have to pass the ball between them inside the square while you try and intercept it. If you last a minute at full intensity, well done. Now rest for a minute and do it again, and again, and again….

Haze

Meh, Tuesday nights down the park we’d play for 3 hours.

15 all some nights and even the ‘keepers had to do a stint.

CaptJon
    Free Member

theotherjonv – Member
    Seosamh said it while I was checking a stat.

The distance run stat is misleading. It’s only about 12km in an average 90 mins, a distance runner would do closer to 30. And it’s not the fact that it’s often at a sprint – the refs do a similar distance, often at a sprint, yet while they are 40-45 year olds you don’t see them cramping up with 15 mins to go. It’s the constant direction changes, turns, acceleration, jumping, twisting.

plus getting barged, kicked, hit, bitten, elbowed, knocked over etc

theotherjonv

By comparison – rugbyists do an average of about 8km in 80 mins. Basketball about 4km in 48 mins. Tennis 3-5km depending whether it’s 3 or 5 sets. Distance tells you nothing, you need to be supremely fit for all of them.

totalshell

i havent seen many fat knackers out there those still in the competition all seem to have god like physiques.. those that havent have been in las vegas for the last week

botanybay
    Free Member

Still, at least they don’t need epo to make it interesting.

lunge

Still, at least they don’t need epo to make it interesting.

That’s debatable given footballs rewards and lack of drug testing.

mogrim

I’d have thought steroids would be more useful than EPO though. Or maybe both.

oldgit
    Free Member

Judging by how knackered I get if I play a game I’m not surprised they’re tired.
    I think if you try searching some stats you’d be amazed at the times they can cover a distance in. It’s very stop start and 90 minutes of real pressure.
    If you mean why can’y they play football for hours on end like a tour rider would cycle on a long stage…well. That thinking would make Usain Bolt the most pathetic over paid athlete in the world.

I know it’s fun to knock the players, I think mainly because they get paid shed load and they and their sport is adored world wide, we’d love’em if they got fifty quid a week. But to think they ain’t good athletes is very very naive.

Not a footy fan by any means, but I’m guessing that by getting to and staying at the top of the tree isn’t easy in any sport

Coyote
    Free Member

Ok, imagine doing any sport in hot conditions as hard as you can for an hour?

No one told the England players that’s what they were supposed to do then?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Footballers fitness.’ is closed to new replies.