Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Flats vs SPD's
  • jammer
    Free Member

I've been biking for about 4 years and have always ridden flats but I'm now thinking about giving clipples pedals a bash.

Any opinions, tips etc. Also how much does it help with climbing and are caged pedals like mallet 2's the best option.

Cheers

coffeeking
    Free Member

You'll get loads of bites on this I'm sure, though it's covered fairly frequently the search is useless at the moment. SPDs give me about 25% extra stamina and massively improve my climbing on rough stuff. I've found caged spds are a nightmare (neither good flats or easy to clip into/out of, but I've only tried old onza ones so small sample size).

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

People will say it depends what type of riding you are doing. Personally I prefer SPDs for everything – including DH. I can't live without the extra security they provide and find I can put down loads more power on climbs.
    Definitely worth giving a shot and persisting a bit if you struggle with them at first – I certainly did, but I'm a bit hopeless.

poppa
    Free Member

In my experience…

SPD Pros:

No worries about feet falling off the pedals (not a problem IME)
    Theoretically better pedalling efficiency
    On tough climbs when your legs are giving up you can introduce a bit of hamstring action – after a while you get stronger at this and do it more often
    Can be lighter(?)

SPD Cons:

Take time to get used to (not long, and not a problem IME)
    More difficult to practice manuals, wheelies etc. in case of bailing
    Can't do tricks when jumping (not a problem for me!)
    Can cause fear! (jumping, falling off, usually unfounded)

Unless you are frequently getting big air, jumping and/or falling off you will probably be fine with SPD's, but it's a personal choice at the end of the day.

EDIT: Some downhill racers use SPD's, but (AFAIK) no XC racers use flats. Make of that what you will!

freeganbikefascist
    Free Member

I used SPDs (well, Time ATACs) most of the time, unless riding DH courses or trying jumps etc where I'm out of my comfort zone.

I echo the above that I have tried and abandoned caged clipless pedals. Struck me as worst of both worlds

clipless helps with climbing although how much is psychosomatic is up for debate and I don't really care; if I think it helps me then it does, no matter if it's physical or mental

They do take some getting used to and at least one comedy "TIMMMMBERRRRrrrr" is inevitable when first using them

I say give them a go, get some entry level ones (My vote is always Time ATAC alu) and see how you get on

RustySpanner

Used SPD's for years until….
    heading down to Watergrove res on a waterlogged path, front wheel got stuck in a very deep puddle hiding a missing causway stone and I managed to hit myself on the back of the head with my own bike. 😀

Partner nearly threw up laughing.

Flats off road for me ever since. I'm sure they're nowhere near as efficient, my modelling contract with Pretty Polly has been recinded because of the scars and I go through a pair of shoes a year, but I feel much safer and don't twist my knees anymore when I come off.

SPD's on the road though, every time.

Bazz

I quite like caged clipless pedals as i prefer natural trails i often have to walk on some bits and it enables me to have a more flexible soled shoe for walking but still get good power transfer when clipped in.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

SPDs are only more efficient if you spend a LOT of time relearning you pedaling technique in a very specific way, and even then, the faster you cadence, the less the benefit. Its all about the ability to ensure any force you apply to the pedal is always perpendicular so no energy is wasted. This doesn't come naturally. you can't just bolt them on and get 25% more efficient or anything like that.

most of the benefit reported in this thread will be at low cadence, up a very steep or loose climb for instance as there will be no 'dead spot' unlike with flats.

poppa
    Free Member

I kind of agree with Horatio. When I first used SPD's one of the biggest immediate benefits was riding over steps/roots on uphill sections where there was a risk of spinning the back wheel and having to stop. Because there is no 'dead-spot' with SPD's I could clear more of those types of obstacle.

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

flats all teh way..

metalheart
    Free Member

I've gone the opposite direction. Had caged spd's which like everybody else I found them difficult to get out of and not much cop as a flat (seemed to find myself clipped in regardless of where I stuck my foot).

I've also had the foot stuck in pedal falling over (resulting in a dent in the tin can top tube that was a Handjob – still gave me the excuse to buy a soul so alls good) moments. As a consequence got panicky at tech sections.

After 4, 5 rides I'm now happier in flats and don't even have to have my 5.10's on now neither.

The only thing I really miss is the correctly centred foot posisiton every time with spds. But ability to 'step off' makes up for it. Liking the Easton Flatboys a lot!

All imho of course.

jimmerhimself
    Free Member

I use both and have done for years. Once other difference I've found that isn't mentioned above is the pedal width.

Riding through deep ruts and very rocky singletrack I find flat pedals strike a lot more and give me less room and fewer opportunities to pedal. SPD shoes and pedals are generally a lot narrower and don't suffer from this issue anywhere near as much.

I also find it much harder to jump well in SPDs, but that has everything to do with my cack handed jumping technique.

They both have their uses and neither is better in my experience.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Good shoes (shimano am40s) and grippy pedals (Wellgo MG1s) mean that i feel more secure using flats than spds now. Suppose it is due to the platform area and the fact that you can angle/change foot placing easily.

jam-bo

learn to ride on both and make a choice from there.

I've reverted solely to flat pedals now.

adstick
    Free Member

I think what Jambo says makes sense. I've used both but favour flats these days. SPDs don't give as much efficiency advantage as some people think, good pedalling technique is more important.

nuke

Yep I'd go with what Jambo says. I ride purely SPDs and have done for years; having recently tried flats again I've struggled…you've been riding flats now for 4 years, don't lose that experience but, at the same time, give SPDs a try and see if they benefit your riding.

dasnut
    Free Member

spds are pointless and give you bad knees thats a fact

Andituk
    Free Member

Tried it, didn't like it, switched back.

I personally couldn't find any confidence while clipped in, was constantly thinking about the pedals instead of the riding. Switched back to flats and bought some 5.10s instead.

Keva
    Free Member

I picked up an SPD shoe once and looked at it, that's about as far as I got.

Kev

dasnut
    Free Member

510s and some penthouse flats, there really isn't much more to be said about the foot\crank interface on a bike

poppa
    Free Member

Cripes, lots of very adamant views here and he hasn't even said what kind of riding he does!

myfatherwasawolf
    Free Member

Flats are great for jumping/DH/Dual etc and I used them a lot during that particular time of my life. Xc-wise flats are next to useless downhill with your saddle at full height, you'll end up bouncing around on your balls. That means you have to stop and faff lowering your saddle (I know plenty of people do this anyway), I also find spds are far better on technical flats and climbs.

So, in summary, both are good at different things, but for all-round riding I choose spds. As someone up there ^^ said, try both.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

can't say i've ever had to think about my feet being clipped in – getting my feet out is 2nd nature, and i can't think of a crash that has been exacerbated by being clipped in. my feet even come out when i crash of their own accord. i do find they're good on climbs, much more happy on technical stuff with them, same down rough stuff (on a HT)
    probably not for everyone, but unless i ever decided to take up DH or jumping, i'll not be leaving clipless.

rig
    Free Member

I've always had a love/hate relationship with SPDs. I use them because I know I should, but after a few weeks of falling off, I go back to flats.

Therefore, I've just bought & fitted some Shimano M324 combination pedals that are SPDs one side & flats the other. I ride with cleats on my shoes, but have the choice of whether to clip in or not for a particular section.

I know that these have been criticised on here, but I think that they're great for me.

House
    Free Member

Not sure about the bad knees comment? I had a knee problem and my physio recommended SPDs to keep my knees aligned and to encourage me to get a smoother power transfer – just make sure you've got the spd's set up right – slightly out and you will soon know.

First few weeks on spd's is interesting – I started with multi release. Having bought my second pair of spd shoes I've moved onto single release. Works for me…

julians
    Free Member

Used flats for years, tried spd's (crank bros actually) for 6 months at the beginning of 2009 , but didnt like them, now back on flats again.

spd's were more efficient up hill and on flat, but I just prefer the confidence I got from flats.

I fell off loads more often when I used the spd's,and the crashes were always more painful than falling with flats, so much so that I bought knee/shin pads because I'd fall that much more frequently than when I used flats.

Now I'm back on flats I've ditched the knee/shin pads , and rarely fall off.

Try them both and see what works best, its all individual preference.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I got persuaded by my "mates" to try SPD's, frikkin hated them with a passion! Went back to flats with 5:10's for a year or so.

Then thought I'll give these funny little pedals another go, now I've got them on all my bikes.

Shimano's on both MTB's
    Look Keo's on my Roadie
    Flats with SPD on one side on my SS commuter so I can ride it in normal shoes if required.

To be honest unless I was riding full on DH I don;t think I'd be without them now

shermer75
    Free Member

Been using Crank Brother Acids for a couple years now and love them- never looked back. The bearings don't last as well as other makes tho- would be tempted by Time if I went for anything else. Tried Shimano, which were excellent in all their guises, but there is a lot of mud where I ride (Epping) and they clogged up quite frequently- which Acids never do…

Northwind

I used to ride on SPDs, back before I stopped riding. Liked them. Then I totally ****ed my leg and started riding again, can't use SPDs so got flats. Hated them for a while, got used to them, now I like them as much as I liked SPDs. I don't think either's particularily better, they've got their advantages and disadvantages so personal taste is enough to swing it. Sometimes I'd prefer SPDs, sometimes flats, but I don't mind being stuck with flats at all.

What's always really obvious in these threads is that everyone always totally exagerrates the advantages and disadvantages. SPDs are 1000% more efficient but you'll definately be killed…

Also that most people who try the other option do it for a few rides and hate it, then stop- but it takes time, if you've got a thousand hours of riding on SPDs and 10 hours of riding on flats, no wonder flats feel worse.

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

SPDs for me. Didn't take long for me to get used to them. I wouldn't dream of using anything else.
    Can fully understand why people don't like them.

jedi

use them system you want. it matters not really.

GHill

Never managed to get cleat position etc right so that being clipped in didn't hurt my knees, a lot. Maybe I've just got weird knees.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I've spent a long time using both, I've got V12s and Crank Bros Mallets and Candys.

I didn't get on with the rigid feel of Shimano SPDs, but I found the looser feeling and easier exit of Mallets much more to my tastes. The V12s have been great, but I've lost pedalling efficiency and despite fiddling with different pin lengths haven't quite got them dialled to my skate shoes. While it's far easier to bale out when using flats, decent bike setup negates that nervous feeling to a large extent.

Find a mate with a pair of SPDs and try them out for a few weeks.

I've been MTB'ing for over 15 years and have used everything from toestraps to Power Grips and flats to clipless.

However I've only gone from flats to clipless (I say clipless, as I use Crank Bros, which aren't SPD's) over the last year. I hated them at first – both the idea and in practice, however once used to them, I have to say they are the pedal of choice. I do suffer with a lack of bottle with them occassionally though.

I use Mallets and although the platform is rubbish for pedalling on in normal shoes, it is very handy when trying to get clipped in on technical sections.

alpin
    Free Member

I've just bought & fitted some Shimano M324 combination pedals that are SPDs one side & flats the other. I ride with cleats on my shoes, but have the choice of whether to clip in or not for a particular section.

nononononononononoooo!

they should only be seen on commuter bikes, IMO. this idea of having a choice doesn't exist when trundling down hill at speed or just before you get to that tricky point in the trail. much rather know that i was either properly secured or completely free of the pedal.

This could go on for days :-), but my two penny's. I've ridden both loads, but more recently offroad always flats, but I use SPD's on my road bike. I find SPD's much more efficient, but I prefer the feel of flats when riding downhill. I have crank bro's stuff on my Cube Road bike, which the local roadies don't like.

The new breed of rubber soles with the likes of five ten and vibram have totally changed the grip available on flats, but they retain the much fabled 'feel'. I have some FiveTen Tennies, which look pretty naff compared to the modern cycle specific stuff like the AM40, but they don't half work well.

Neil @ Fawkes Cycles

RichPenny
    Free Member

I use flats on both mtbs, and spds on the commuter and roadie. I did have spd's off road for about 6 months, but find I prefer flats. If you're anything like me:

Going uphill will not be easier, but you will go a bit faster if you pedal properly.
    You will fall off/over occasionally because of the pedals.
    You'll be able to pick the back end up easier.
    You might find yourself mincing down something half in and half out of the pedals.

The last point for me was especially pertinent, and is something I see lots of people doing if they're not confident on a section of trail. If you find yourself doing this in SPDs after 6 months, I think you should be on flats.

Xc-wise flats are next to useless downhill with your saddle at full height

I think you meant to say with your saddle at the wrong height. I might agree, but the people I've seen arse in the air descending dirt roadie style don't exactly look comfortable clipped in either 🙂 Combined with the one side in, one side out technique this is comedy gold, even for someone as shit as me on a bike….

sherry
    Free Member

I rode SPD's for years then changed to Time atacs and had a spell in-between with flats on a DH bike (around 17 years MTBing). All have there pro's and cons but I ended up sticking with the atacs as the float was much better for my knees and I don't lose pedals over high speed rough sections. No matter how good you are on flats you will constantly need to adjust your feet on rough or jump sections. It can be a bit unnerving when first using clip-ins but they are worth the Perseverance. I use Time Z control platforms on my longer travel bike and they give good foot support on those heavier landings. Time carbons on my other bikes and all are virtually maintenance free.

Nicknoxx
    Free Member

I'll add my 2 penny worth

I switched to spds 10 years ago because I bought a bike that had them and it was a choice of new pedals or new shoes. I never looked back. Yes there are times when I want flats but not often enough to switch back.

stevomcd
    Free Member

I rode SPDs (Time) for years, including my first season guiding in the Alps. Switched to flats after that because I wanted to get better at all the hoppy/manually/jumpy stuff I'd been doing for my guide's qualifications. Now using flats all the time, I've only clipped-in recently on the turbo trainer! Might use them on some of the mega-climbing, XC-orientated weeks that we've got planned for a couple of dates next summer.

I wouldn't say there's anything I can ride in flats that I can't in SPDs (or vice versa) but riding the odd high-consequence stretch of singletrack round here, I'd rather be on flats.

Plus I'm smug that I can now jump and stuff without my feet falling off them.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Flats vs SPD's’ is closed to new replies.