Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Flat bar brake levers (carbon)?
  • deejayen
    Free Member

Does anyone make these for dual pivot brakes and with carbon levers?

The bike currently has Avid Speed Dial levers but they don’t have the optimal pull for the callipers. I was going to get a pair of the Shimano R550 levers, but I have a problem with my fingers which can get really cold using alloy levers, so I’d prefer carbon levers/blades. Does anything like this exist?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Not that I know of, but you could just wrap the levers in electrical tape?

TRP do V-brake levers, but they’re £70, and you’d need to add (really ugly) travel-agents (those pulley things that adjust the pull ratio).

Have you thought of using a Jones style H bar with roadie STI’s?

scotroutes
    deejayen
    Free Member

Thanks very much.

It’s for a recumbent, so I’m afraid the Jones bars won’t work.

I used to have Campag Record carbon levers on my fixie, and they were great.

I hadn’t thought about the silicon covers – might be worth a try. I find that the cold levers suck the heat from my fingers even when using gloves. It’s worse when I’m riding at the back of a group because I can spend a lot of time braking! Also, I’m not working as hard, so I’m not generating a lot of heat.

I was also thinking about buying a pair of pogies if they’ll fit – they might keep the levers a bit warmer!

scotroutes

Pogies are excellent. I use them on the fatbike all winter and find I only need a thin pair of gloves underneath (if at all).

deejayen
    Free Member

Do you have the lined pogies, and if so are they really warm in above freezing conditions? I’d be using them for overnight rides at this time of year and through the winter, but not if there’s snow (not the best environment for a recumbent!)

scotroutes

I use the basic ones fron Hotpog and find they are plenty warm

Classic Pogies

at £25 they are cheaper than winter gloves so surely worth a try?

deejayen
    Free Member

Thanks. They look really good – I’ve known about them for ages, but not yet got around to buying some. I’ve just sent Hotpog an email to see if they can make one or two changes to a pair to enable them to be used on my bike.

I hadn’t realised the basic ones were lined. Do you find that the basic ones leak in heavy rain?

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Lizard Skins do some covers, which work well. I run them on Paul’s Levers on my flat bar.

The levers you need for dual pivots are the same pull as the old cantilever levers, so look at Pauls, Dia Compe SS7, SS5 for nice designs. The blades on the Shimano flat bar levers are a tad thin.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Flat bar brake levers (carbon)?’ is closed to new replies.