Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 166 total)
  • Filming locations near you
  • gallowayboy

The house where I spent my teenage years in Kirkcudbright appeared in the Wicker Man….

JEngledow
    Free Member

We live just around the corner from Cogges Farm which was used in Downton Abbey!

allthegear
    Free Member

My very own King Street in King’s Lynn was transformed into 18th century New York for the filming of Revolution with Al Pacino. It didn’t take all that much transforming…

Rachel

andytherocketeer

close to back home…
    Call the Midwife
    Downton Abbey (bits of)
    Cats Eyes
    At least 1 Bond movie
    More Dickens productions that I could name

close to here…
    there’s always telly cameras at work
    Sky at Night, etc.

4130s0ul
    Free Member

Dirk Gently was filmed on the road I lived on. in fact seeing a few episodes of DG was like a montage of all the houses I have lived in in Bristol.
    also Casualty, lots of casualty

racefaceec90

roundway hill is just up the road where part of 1984 was filmed (with john hurt).

yunki
    Free Member

I used to go dancing at Verbeer Manor where Roger Cook made his ‘ecstasy kills’ programme..

Does that count?

globalti
    Free Member

Downham, near Clitheroe, all owned by Lord Clitheroe and not a single telegraph pole, TV aerial, painted line or cable.

“Most recently the 1950s production ‘Born and Bred’ was filmed in Downham [2001-3]. At an earlier date a shot from ‘Wuthering Heights’ was taken on church brow and other films have been made here. One of the most famous films was the 1961 ‘Whistle Down the Wind’ starring Hayley Mills and Alan Bates, shot largely at Worsaw End Farm.”

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Robin Hood Prince of Thieves – round the corner from school

Alwick Castle Hogwarts, Elizabeth (the one with Cantona) and http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1915807/?ref_=ttloc_loc_tt
    The Spaceman And King Arthur also round there

Now round this way is
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hunter_(2011_Australian_film)#Filming_locations
    The Hunter in Tasmania

andytherocketeer

For Bristol/Casualty, you may as well add Only Fools and Horses to the list. And that learning to drive car programme, with Maureen.

4130s0ul
    Free Member

Yunki, that’s a blast from the past, I too used to “dance” at Verbeer Manor. Good days

Drac

Do want the list in Alphabetical of Chronological order?

stevied
    Free Member

They were going to film Brideshead revisited at my old house* but ended up doing it elsewhere..my mum would’ve been an extra.

*not my house but lived a few 100m’s away and used the gardens as my playground as a kid as my mum was nurse to Lord Beauchamp in the 70’s.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Kylie (with that Robbie bloke) – Kids.

The swimming pool at the end is my gym.

llama

period dramas. lots of period dramas.

oh and a few seconds of a bond was done at my old workplace

ooh and a few seconds of the sherlock xmas special (the period bit)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Do want the list in Alphabetical of Chronological order?

Keep up Drac, what else you got 😉

teadrinker
    Free Member

molgrips
    Free Member

Oh yeah, I now live in Cardiff, so lots of Dr Who ofc.

giant_scum
    Free Member

Couple of scenes from Restless Natives were filmed up the Bathgate Alps.
    More recently Outlander and just now Trainspotting 2 is being filmed 5 minutes from my house at the old Motorola factory just off Junction 3A of the M8.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Surrey so tonnes of stuff about and neighbouring counties. Borne Woods has loads of stuff. Was there a month or so back and Warner Bro were up there.

Swinley was used for Harry Potter

Various nearby bits also for potter, including the original location of his house was nearby to Swinley. Bits filmed around Virginia Water.

Been a few things around Surrey Hills over the years, especially over in Redlands. A bit over at Jellys Hollow last year.

Shere village has been used for a number of things. Recently, Professor Branestawm (Harry Hill drama thing on telly).

Dunsfold (Top Gear track) has been used for a fair bit, for the track and/or the 747. Bond films and the like.

milky1980
    Free Member

Currently in Cardiff so you can put Dr Who, Torchwood, Casualty, etc on my list. Usually see something going on at least once a week.

Where I grew up (Brecon Beacons) we were surrounded by dramatic landscapes and old buildings so it was unusual for something to not be filmed most weeks! My local pub was (and still is ) regularly used for big starts and the crew to stay in. You could tell when a big Hollywood star was in as there’d be a group of the local school girls camped opposite 😆
    Don’t spend as much time there as I used to so not up to date on what’s going on currently but the last bit of filming I saw was a few years ago. Sat in an old friend’s parents house we knew someone was filming on the Glanusk Estate. Sat having a brew and cake we heard this diesel earthmover going up the road but that’s nothing new as it’s a farming area. Next thing we know there’s no more sound followed by a load of swearing and giggling. We go outside to have a nose to see Hammond and Clarkson on those off-road mobility scooters they built trying to get Hammond’s half-track going again 😀 We left them to it as the crew filming them waved us to stay out of shot, guessing it had been a hard day filming judging by the final episode!

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

I (along with a few others on here I reckon) work in Canary Wharf which is just down the road from Beckton Gasworks which is of course where they filmed….
    …..
    …the second half of Full Metal Jacket when it was converted into a look-alike of Hue City

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beckton_Gas_Works

Yak

Oh, yes forgot – had a project at Dunsfold for a short while. We were in the hanger next to Top Gear.
    Did a lap of the track too – in my 1998 megane. No-one was impressed… 🙂

Defender
    Free Member

Lots, not being very too from Pinewood and the London film and TV sudios, but now mainly Midsomer Murders are shot (!) around here, in fact they (Bentley Productions) are shooting at the moment, I saw a location arrow on the way to work the other day.
    Forgot that the National Film & TV School are just down the road from my secondary school, it was a studion before that.

the-muffin-man

The TV masterpiece Peak Practice was filmed in my home village (Crich in Derbyshire), and they used my grandads house from time to time.

Tracey

Just round the corner from where I was brought up but before I was born.

stevied
    Free Member

^Bo selecta?

bencooper
    Free Member

Glasgow, so Taggart of course 😉

jimdubleyou

When I lived in Wimbledon, The Bill was often filmed in the nearby streets.

Leadenhall Market is round the corner from my office – scene of Harry Potter and The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus + others.

Often see film crews parked up in Old Deer Park in Richmond, but I’ve never worked out what it’s for.

Hells

The Wicker Man (the original one) was filmed in & around the areas where I grew up although I now live down south (Derbyshire).

aP
    Free Member

We had that Eddie Izzard in our office entrance in Velvet Goldmine
    Keira Knightley in Never Let Me Go just up the road, and in Bend it Like Beckham
    New Tricks in the local pub quite regularly
    Foyle’s War all the time just up the road
    The Madness of King George a bit further away
    Misfits – under the M4 flyover
    Power Rangers!
    Hell Drivers (before they knocked all the buildings down)

allan23
    Free Member

Quite a lot will be filmed next door to me over the next few years.

Screen Yorkshire have just opened the Yorkshire Studio on my doorstep.

http://www.screenyorkshire.co.uk/studios/

Historically, probably A Touch of Frost will have filmed somewhere close. You can usually watch it and spot lots of locations within 30 miles of Leeds 🙂

cheese@4p

Looking out the office window in Haworth I can see steam trains most days.The Worth Valley Railway has been in loads of films and TV stuff. Right now there is a massive fake Haworth Parsonage being built on the moor top for an upcoming Bronte TV series.

JEngledow
    Free Member

….Beckton Gasworks which is of course where they filmed…the second half of Full Metal Jacket when it was converted into a look-alike of Hue City

That’s one of our sites, they don’t mention Full Metal Jacket in any of the history blurb 🙂 🙄

HarryTuttle

I watched Star Wars from the (probably) the same row of my local cinema as Sir Ian McKellen sat in the film ‘Mr Holmes’.

paul4stones

I run along the set of the 1991 Robin Hood film a few times a week. The one without Kevin Costner that nobody’s seen.

Sycamore Gap is just up the road from here. I too run past it sometimes.

My son sails at Derwent Reservoir where Beowulf was filmed last year. The water level was particularly low all summer while they were filming and I started a rumour that this was because the production company had done a deal with the water company to lower the reservoir. In January, when it had filled up a bit (!), I tweeted a picture of it full and said “Conclusive proof the water was lowered for last year’s filming of Beowulf”. The tweet was quoted by the actor who played Beowulf who said it was true! Not sure if he was joking or not now.

Drac

Keep up Drac, what else you got

You went for the easy options.

King Arthur and The Spaceman
    Downtown Abbey
    Vera
    Alien 3
    Elizabeth
    MacBeth
    Beowulf TV series
    The Hobbit – for film posters

There’s more.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

King Arthur 😉

Bregante

A monster calls is being released later this year.

Rivi.

Euro
    Free Member

Practically every forest/castle/old bridge round here is a set for Game of Thrones. Plenty of other TV dramas and a few films too.

Pain in the arse personally as HBO blocked the building of a world cycling centre that was due to open in 2012 as they wanted the quarry for GOT. My very local quarry was invaded and turned into a snowy wasteland too. I had a few run ins with the security as they tried to stop me from finishing the trail i was building at the time. They found if difficult to believe that the spade and wheelbarrow i had with me were not concealing hidden cameras. Game of Dicks!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 166 total)

The topic ‘Filming locations near you’ is closed to new replies.