Viewing 40 posts - 27,081 through 27,120 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • Junkyard
    Free Member

GrahamS – he’s not daft he knows that. He’s trolling again.

I disagree he is daft and he does mean that 😉

Jamby really does think if you are rich you should have more than poor people in terms of basic freedoms.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Corbyn will say today how Brexit will allow Labour to upgrade the British economy

Well you do hold him in such high regard I can see why you have quoted him and done an appeal to his authority

DOes this mean he is no longer old , a poor leader and with no vision?

One of your better pieces of satire/hypocrisy

Sorry my mistake I see why you gave it such a ringing endorsement

Under the plan, all companies bidding for government contracts would be required to give full trade union recognition to their workforce and move towards a ratio of 20-1 between their highest and lowest paid staff.

These are indeed your core policies 😆

molgrips
    Free Member

In other news Insaw today the Office for National Statistics published its first ever study into unemployment inc those economically inactive amongst EU nationals in the UK. What really stunned me was that it was their first, ie never done before !!

Why is it important? Why do we need to weed out those pesky foreigners?

£35k is the income level where you pay enough tax to pay for the services you use.

But even if you are earning less than that you are still contributing to the economy, aren’t you? Most factory workers earn less than that but without them there’s no manufacturing and our entire industry sector would collapse.

So just because we fund them doesn’t mean they aren’t contributing. Surely this is basic economics.

mattjg
    Free Member

“I think it is reasonable to question why a skilled job with a shortage of workers only commands a 35k salary..”

International competition can be a factor. If wages rise jobs move. In due course the jobs move to the workers instead of the workers moving to the jobs. That’s one of the flaws in thinking stopping FOM is going to fix the issue of immigration based wage competition.

Northwind

molgrips – Member

So just because we fund them doesn’t mean they aren’t contributing. Surely this is basic economics.

Absolutely- the income level where your personal tax pays for the services you use is irrelevant. It’s something people like to talk about because it suits the agenda that “most people are takers” but your value to society and to the economy simply isn’t measured by the tax you pay.

That aside, it also falls down completely with immigrants because the lifelong services cost just doesn’t apply to people who don’t spend their whole lives here.

mattjg
    Free Member

Yeah but leavers see it as a zero sum game. They don’t understand how being a net payee can possibly still be a beneficial situation. They don’t get for instance that off the economy contracts due to leaving that the fabled £350mm no longer exists to spend.

molgrips
    Free Member

“I think it is reasonable to question why a skilled job with a shortage of workers only commands a 35k salary..”

More basic economics:

The price of a given product creates demand i.e. a market for that product. But the price of that product depends on the costs to produce, and that depends in part on the wages of the workers.

So whilst demand > supply increases wages, they can only go up so far before demand starts to go down due to higher prices.

So in many industries there is a demand for workers *at low wages*. E.g. if fruit picking paid £35k a year, fruit would cost a fortune, no-one would buy it then there’d be no-one planting it and no fruit to pick.

Where’s THM with some jargon?

mrmo
    Free Member

Do we need nurses? How many earn over £35k?

we’re screwed.

This is before you look at different regions of the country.

Picking an arbitary number is a very stupid way to run an immigration policy.

Also have to consider that by devaluing the pound by c20% you have cut the wages of potential immigrants.

mattjg
    Free Member

Presumably the rules can be juggled to meet the needs of certain employers or roles.

Your devaluation point is valid.

GrahamS

In other news Insaw today the Office for National Statistics published its first ever study into unemployment inc those economically inactive amongst EU nationals in the UK.

Got a Linky?

I’m looking at the Economic Inactivity section of the April 2017 UK Labour Market bulletin and it doesn’t break it down for EU nationals.

It should also be noted that the main cause of “economic inactivity” is being a student

which also happens to be a major reason for people coming to the UK (192,000 student immigrants a year)

Shackleton

Interesting to note that the 35K ceiling will also exclude all but the most senior post-doctoral researchers (i.e. researchers with a PhD but not yet running their own research labs).

Pay scales for these core roles is ~27K starting salary rising to 38K max and it is very, very difficult to obtain top end salaries on grant applications unless you have an existing named member of staff who is essential to the work.

More good news for science in the UK…………….

mattjg
    Free Member

What a silly little country.

DrJ

Where’s THM with some jargon?

THM has been away for a while. In fact the beginning of his absence coincided with the dailies publishing some rather saucy pictures of Nicola Sturgeon. I can only imagine he has been hospitalised with life-threatening fapping-related injuries. Get well soon, hurty 🙂

mrmo
    Free Member

i.e. researchers with a PhD

Do you need them to make Jam???

*my Grand-father was a food scientist before he retired, so i guess it helps!….

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

THM has been away for a while. In fact the beginning of his absence coincided with the dailies publishing some rather saucy pictures of Nicola Sturgeon. I can only imagine he has been hospitalised with life-threatening fapping-related injuries. Get well soon, hurty

Tbf, he was needing some new material, his Salmond grumble was getting a bit dog eared….

Northwind

FWIW, it seems to be an extension of the existing policy, which does have some exemptions for researchers and has the capacity to create exemptions as needed for critical industry. Of course, absolutely everyone who employs an immigrant for under £35000 will campaign to be an exemption. And the policy will be overseen by Amber Rudd and Theresa May, professional xenophobes.

So who knows what that’ll lead to. It could end up a fairly empty shell with countless exemptions, or it could be a brick wall with the false promise of exemptions to make it seem less brutal.

DrJ

FT reports today that British firms are being effectively excluded from EU space projects. It’s all working out beautifully.

jambalaya
    Free Member

TMH has just started a new job, he told me he’s got better things to do. I’ll see him for a ride when I am fit enough.

VISAs should be issued to those who can make a necessary contribution be they fruit pickers or post-doctorate researchers.

Did you see the idiot German politician calling for a second Referendum ? He needs to focus on his own countries problems which do in fairness inckude finding £5bn extra for EU contributions or telling the other member states where their payouts are goung to get cut.

We should have left the EU decades ago. April 2019 can’t come fast enough.

GrahamS

jamba: you may have missed my post on previous page (last post on the page syndrome). Do you have a linky for the ONS study you were describing regarding economic inactivity in EU nationals? I couldn’t find anything obvious on the ONS site.

molgrips
    Free Member

VISAs should be issued to those who can make a necessary contribution be they fruit pickers or post-doctorate researchers.

1) How do we define necessary?

2) Issuing visas based on existing demand excludes people who might come here to actually start businesses, doesn’t it? Many EU migrants have done just that, and their successful economic activity creates growth. We’d lose that contribution.

3) Would visas be tied to jobs? So if the job ends you have to go home? People cannot build a life on those terms so you will lose a lot of skills and workers as they head elsewhere to settle. This will be economically damaging don’t you think?

mrmo
    Free Member

We should have left the EU decades ago. April 2019 can’t come fast enough.

back in the ’70s? when the UK economy was on its knees? The EU will be fine, the UK won’t. you can talk about a global economy but the vote is simply about kick out the coloured people for many. I for one do not want to return to a time when calling people paddy’s was acceptable.

kimbers

Why would jambs want to link to stats that exposed brexiters and vote leave as xenophobic liars again…?

Migration stats bust myths about skills and welfare

slowoldman

We should have left the EU decades ago.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWdd6_ZxX8c[/video]

thecaptain
    Free Member

The “Department for exiting the EU” just twatted a lovely graph showing how trade started to rise massively shortly after we joined the EU in the 70s. Not sure that was quite the point they were trying to make, mind you…

here it is

jambalaya
    Free Member

In the 70’s we where were totally F’d by Labour. Also we joined the EEC, a “Common Market” or thats what we where told and definitely not a political Union project. As per Twitter commentsvtard was rising before we joined and has accelerated as our share of exports to the EU has declined.

Anyway @b r I answered your question, thereafter there was much moaning from Remainers. Predictably whuch is why I didn’t bother to read it the first time.

igm

Jamba – you can’t help yourself can you?

In the 70’s we where were totally F’d by Labour.

There were also Tory governments in the 70s, but that doesn’t fit your story.

Also have a look at the unemployment stats from the 70s until now. Generally every time the Tories got in unemployment rocketed.

Interestingly the last few years deviate from that. Even with (Brexy press factoid warning) 11% of the workforce from foreign climes, unemployment is at 4.7% – historically that’s regarded as full employment.

This country desperately needs immigration. Probably more of it.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Say what? Trade was **** by labour but was also already rising? Yeah, that makes total sense.

molgrips
    Free Member

Going to answer my questions Jam re visas?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Molgrips I didn’t see any question, certainly not one I had not already answered in a general post.

Having an income threshold and using it as one key factor in visa applications is very common in most countries controlled immigration systems. The rest of the world seems to manage quite well without the EU’s Freedom of Movement. So well none of them are seeking to emulate it.

We have many unemployed people in the UK and many trapped in low paying jobs by uncontrolled immigration. Wages will rise as will employment opportunities. As for “jobs Brits won’t do” well if you won’t do a job you won’t get your unemployment benefit.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Say what? Trade was **** by labour but was also already rising? Yeah, that makes total sense.

Labour fought the GE under Foot on a commitment to leave the “free market” EEC, bad for jobs they said

kimbers

We have many unemployed people in the UK and many trapped in low paying jobs by uncontrolled immigration.

and yet maybot and davis have said that immigration wont drop after brexit……

so scapegoating the EU for the failings of westminster will at least be exposed for the great lie it always was

molgrips
    Free Member

Jam, my questions re your vision of visa controlled immigration are in this post.

The rest of the world seems to manage quite well without the EU’s Freedom of Movement

No country has ever joined the EU and then left it. Countries that aren’t EU members didn’t spend 40 years in it. You cannot draw conclusions like that, it’s idiotic. We’re in completely uncharted territory.

The EU is one of the biggest economies in the world, and we are leaving it. It’s the only economy that can compare to the US in size and development. And we’re leaving it. It would be like a state leaving the US and expecting it to be better off.

sobriety
    Free Member

It would be like a state leaving the US and expecting it to be better off.

He’s gonna say California.

jambalaya
    Free Member

1) How do we define necessary?

2) Issuing visas based on existing demand excludes people who might come here to actually start businesses, doesn’t it? Many EU migrants have done just that, and their successful economic activity creates growth. We’d lose that contribution.

3) Would visas be tied to jobs? So if the job ends you have to go home? People cannot build a life on those terms so you will lose a lot of skills and workers as they head elsewhere to settle. This will be economically damaging don’t you think?

1) The Government will set the agenda in responce to business amd service need. Seems to work everywhere else.

2) No you can apply for a VISA based on a business plan

3) Depends, US has both versions, job dependent and not.

We are not reinveting the wheel here. We will be doing what the rest of the world is doing. We can base our system on what works best

molgrips
    Free Member

We will be doing what the rest of the world is doing.

Assuming you prefer closed doors to open ones in principle (I don’t), like I said drawing parallels with the rest of the world is invalid because no other country has built an economy on FoM and then stopped it.

Here’s another question for you: My wife’s family are essentially trapped inside the USA. They cannot leave for more than a holiday, unless they get really lucky. Is that a good thing, do you think?

kimbers

We are not reinveting the wheel here.

actually thats exactly what brexit is all about

Edukator
    Free Member

Well it’s more and more clear to me that the Tory party wanted out and the Cameron campaign was designed to achieve that. There was no need for project fear when the facts spoke for themselves. Just the publication of all this pro-EU information that demonstrates that remain’s campaign was lies and false issues.

Meanwhile I have to consider how to visit some people in the UK without becoming a victim of hate crime. That rules out driving on French plates. I can’t borrow a car because the stupid British insurance system insures drivers rather than cars and as I’m foreign the answer is no when people ask their insurance company to add me. My suntan and foreign gear and sandals without socks say I can’t possibly be a faded M&S Brit. It’s looking complicated, expensive. Any ideas? (this is mildly tongue in cheek but the issues are real)

Oh yeah, and the next time I hear British tourists speaking English as they walk around town should I shout abuse at them and insist they speak French in public? (following a recent thread about supermarket staff chatting informally in their native tongue and reports of foreigners getting abuse outside school gates for speaking foreign). Or do I have to wait until the official withdrawal when logically English will cease to be one of the three official languages.

Tempting but I’m not like that, I’ll continue to assume the best in people until they prove me wrong, and be friendly to people whatever their race, creed, colour or country of origin. Not hard, smiling uses less muscles than scowling.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

1) The Government will set the agenda in responce to business amd service need. Seems to work everywhere else.

2) No you can apply for a VISA based on a business plan

3) Depends, US has both versions, job dependent and not.

We are not reinveting the wheel here. We will be doing what the rest of the world is doing. We can base our system on what works best

If the US didn’t have all those undocumented illegal workers from Mexico it would be a very different place. How much is the added bureaucracy going to cost, both to our economy and in cash terms to the government? I have a few friends in the US on H1-B visas and they’re basically indentured servants. That’s not a system we should be aiming to recreate.

cchris2lou

Most french people I speak to assume that we have left the UK because of Brexit .

Quite funny really .

mefty
    Free Member

the official withdrawal when logically English will cease to be one of the three official languages.

Why are the Irish leaving too?

You obviously don’t want to come over, so don#t bother, I am sure we will survive.

Viewing 40 posts - 27,081 through 27,120 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.